S & W 5906 can it fire with out a magazine fully locked in

This is a discussion on S & W 5906 can it fire with out a magazine fully locked in within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a Criminal Justice student and i am in need of a few answers for a class project. I need to know if the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: S & W 5906 can it fire with out a magazine fully locked in

S & W 5906 can it fire with out a magazine fully locked in

I am a Criminal Justice student and i am in need of a few answers for a class project. I need to know if the 1990 model of the 5906 can fire withou the clip being locked into place even if there is one in the chamber can anyone answer this
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 15th, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Somethings just needed fixed

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Weapon has a magazine disconnect and will not fire without a magazine.

Smith & Wesson Model 5906 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    dsee11789 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What's the project?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

My 456 would not fire either. It made the dry fire part of my CC class a little obnoxious.

Magazine disconnects sound like a great idea, particularly for protecting idiots who are bent on breaking gun safety rules. I imagine they don't sound like a good idea if you have to roll around with a BG, hit the mag release accidentally, and find yourself REALLY needing that one shot.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

There is a way to enable it to be fired with the MAGAZINE removed. For obvioius reasons it is not recommended, do not try this at home, don't run with scissors, look both ways, etc.

If the gun is loaded, magazine in place, and safety off, you can pull be trigger part way back untik the magazine safety is bypassed. If you hold pressure on the trigger at that point you can eject the magazine and as long as you don't release pressure on the trigger the gun will fire the chambered round.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My S&W 39-2 has that same feature. It was designed to keep Darwin-candidates from pulling the trigger with a live round in the chamber when the magazine has been ejected. The slide locks open when the last round has been fired to ease the ability of ejecting the empty one and loading a fresh one into the pistol.

There are many cases where folks attempted to "clean" their handgun with a round in the chamber and ruined their day by not ejecting the round or clearing the chamber prior to the process. The disconnect feature keeps a negligent discharge from happening.

The magazine release button has had few accidental "hits" and probaby would not happen unless someone kept their thumb on it all the time while shooting.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 15th, 2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Time-change has really messed with me
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Belkin55 View Post
    I am a Criminal Justice student and i am in need of a few answers for a class project. I need to know if the 1990 model of the 5906 can fire withou the clip being locked into place even if there is one in the chamber can anyone answer this
    I carry a S&W 5946, and while yes with the mag fully out it will not fire. But I have noticed with it slightly in but not fully seated it will get off one shot, but after that one shot it done the mag would have to pressure and then would fall out. So yes I actually will fire without it fully seated but it does have to be almost seated fully.

Yes it will!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    There is a way to enable it to be fired with the MAGAZINE removed. For obvioius reasons it is not recommended, do not try this at home, don't run with scissors, look both ways, etc.

If the gun is loaded, magazine in place, and safety off, you can pull be trigger part way back untik the magazine safety is bypassed. If you hold pressure on the trigger at that point you can eject the magazine and as long as you don't release pressure on the trigger the gun will fire the chambered round.
    Superhouse 15 wins the cigar! Very accurate. Yes the gun will fire with the magazine removed if you follow his sequence. My gun only has this oddity in double action mode. In single action, the mag disconnect feature is not defeated. You do not have to actually load the gun to test this. You can do it unloaded with dry fire.

I own a 3rd generation S&W 5906 that was manufactured in February 1989. I purchased the pistol brand new in late 1989 or early 1990. Serial #TCM3xxx.

I had always believed that it would not fire with the mag removed until 14 years after I first purchased the gun. I was shown how to do it by a police firearms instructor during a training course I was taking in 2004. He told me that soon after the 5906 hit the streets, a deputy on a local law enforcement agency had been shot by his partner because they incorrectly believed that the gun would not fire with a dropped mag. Upon testing following that incident, every 5906 that department had issued had the same issue. testing by other departments that had issued the 5906 concurred.

I do not know if this irregularity was ever reengineered for later runs of the 5906, or other models of 3rd generation S&W, but I do know that S&W never notified me of any recalls, and they did have my correct address on file.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Links