Any experience with small bore rifle target shooting? Please Help

This is a discussion on Any experience with small bore rifle target shooting? Please Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I could use whatever help you guys can give me as I have come to rely on most of it. Anyway my son is 11 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with small bore rifle target shooting? Please Help

Any experience with small bore rifle target shooting? Please Help

I could use whatever help you guys can give me as I have come to rely on most of it.

Anyway my son is 11 and he shoots competition small bore 22, as it sits right now he is using a gun that was bought by the vets for anyone to use and multiple people do use it.
    We drove 300 miles to the meet and he started shooting but come to find out the gun must have been banged around when it was transported or whatever but he was shooting consistently low (he was to shy to ask them in the middle of the meet to move the sights so he just lived with it and I forgot the stupid scope so I could not even follow his progress )

I am looking into a gun for him and sights but man I just dont really even know where to begin. Please lend me your experience.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I've never shot small bore, but I'm friends with several small bore shooters in my gun club.

I do know that the go-to brand for rifles is Anschutz. Nearly all of the shooters on our small bore team use them.

They're not cheap, though, with the basic models going for over a grand. I'm sure they can be found used for less.

Good luck!

JD
    Administrator
    I've been shooting small bore bullseye the last two winters and shy of the big budget target guns, the Ruger MKII and Mark III are very good guns with a couple of upgrades from Volquartsen. I've been shooting with a Browning Buckmark and would love to buy a Ruger MKII and put a new trigger in it, but I really can't justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've been shooting small bore bullseye the last two winters and shy of the big budget target guns, the Ruger MKII and Mark III are very good guns with a couple of upgrades from Volquartsen. I've been shooting with a Browning Buckmark and would love to buy a Ruger MKII and put a new trigger in it, but I really can't justify it.
    Sorry I should have been more specific they are target rifles with the slide in the middle for the handle thing they have to brace with (I think they are refered to as 4 position rifles)
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Sorry I should have been more specific they are target rifles with the slide in the middle for the handle thing they have to brace with (I think they are refered to as 4 position rifles)
    Ahh, OK, I changed the title, hopefully you'll get more traffic on the topic.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have a Kimber model 82G. It's a target rifle that Kimber made for the army in the late 1980's. The army never used them. Some were destroyed, and some are starting to show up on the market. You can pick one up on gunbroker.com for around $700-$800. They have very heavy bull barrels and Anchutz target sights. Most are unfired. With this rifle, I can hit anything I can see at 100 yards.

Another high end target rifle is the Winchester model 52. They quit making them in the 1950's. You can also find them on Gunbroker in about the same price range as the Kimber.

Your son is a lucky kid that he gets to participate in this kind of sport. I love shooting these rifles. They are a little heavy..

VIP Member
    If you are on a budget the CZ .22 rifles are hard to beat. Many of the folks I shoot with that don't want to shell out a grand or more for an Anschutz go with a CZ. They are very well made, accurate and easy to work the trigger. They are priced right too, from $280 to $450.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

High School kids around here shoot with a CZ - they are nice rifles. I don't think they have the slide you are looking for though - at least the ones I have seen. The higher end models may....

Is he on a team? What do they shoot now or all they all different?

Marlin made a 4 position rifle model of the US OLYMPIC TEAM several years back, if you could find one of those used it would be your best buy. I would look at Hammerli if I couldnt find the Marlin.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnasea View Post
    Another high end target rifle is the Winchester model 52. They quit making them in the 1950's.
    Had one of those. No talent here. It didn't help.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    is it bolt action only? Savage makes some very nice and affordable target rifles and I believe that savage has the best accuracy of any small bore rifle I have ever shot. If not limited to bolt action i would get an M&P 22
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

CMP has match 22's "cheep"

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    MRM:

One of those awesome Government contract Kimber rifles is currently on sale on Guns International from a gun dealer in Missouri. The rifle is in like new condition, and is being offered at only $800, which is a real steal for a competition grade rifle of that caliber. A used Anschutz Model 54 Match Rifle is going to cost you around double that. A brand new 54 Standard ISU rifle from Anschutz will cost you $2,300 for just the rifle, with the sights costing extra on top of that.

These rifles were not made by the current Kimber company, but the original Kimber of Oregon, which was well known for making super accurate rifles. It has a heavy 25 inch barrel, fully adjustable match target iron sights that are quick detachable, and it is set up for mounting a scope too. Adjustable length stock too, and the quality of the wood looks very nice.

Anyway, the gun looks fantastic in the photos. If I were you, I would strongly consider getting this gun while it is still available. It is one Hell of a buy. Here are some pics and a link to the ad:

KIMBER GOVT. MODEL 22LR TARGET - Kimber of Oregon Rifles

That's the rifle I have... I failed to mention the adjustable butt plate. I think it is made by pachmayer - you can add or remove sections to adjust the length of the rifle as your son gets older. It is a good deal - the sights alone cost several hundred $$ if bought separately.

I wonder what he ended up doing? Perhaps we were just talking among ourselves...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links