...Being Delayed...

This is a discussion on ...Being Delayed... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...I hope this is the right forum for my question. If not please excuse me. Every time I go to purchase a handgun the NICS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ...Being Delayed...

...Being Delayed...

...I hope this is the right forum for my question. If not please excuse me. Every time I go to purchase a handgun the NICS puts me on a three day delay. I've been curious why this happens? ...I have no criminal background. I have my CCL which my county sheriff's department issued. They do an extensive background check that takes 7 days to get your CCL.

...I've been thinking about asking the Chief of Police in my town to see if he might know. But I haven't had time. What would be the main reason I'm being "Delayed" (not denied)???

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Is your last name something like Smith, Jones, Johnson or White? It is very possible that there is a felon with the same name.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Not to be an alarmist, but have you been a victim of identity theft?
    FW21

You may have a common name or someone with your same name my have a spotty record and they need to check it out.

Do you put down your Social Security Number?

You should get a NICS PIN Number so that you can immediately be identified.

From FBI Website FBI — Gun Checks/NICS

How do I initiate a VAF request?

If your firearm transaction has been delayed, you can either print a copy of the VAF Application and downloadable fingerprint card from the NICS Appeal Web site or you can request a VAF packet be sent to you by contacting the NICS Customer Service at 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427). The VAF Application and fingerprint card must be filled out completely and the VAF Applicant’s Statement must be signed and dated. All VAF information must be submitted to the NICS VAF in writing and sent via the U.S. Postal Service. Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, specific information cannot be disseminated to you via the telephone.

Your name being the same as a known shady character with a record usually causes that. The computer kicks it out and it has to be personally verify sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Is your last name something like Smith, Jones, Johnson or White? It is very possible that there is a felon with the same name.
    With a surname of Smith, believe me, if approval from a remote agency is required for ANYTHING (gun purchase, flying commerically, etc.) you get used to the the delay. The best foils for gun purchases are a CCW (not in all states, but it eliminates the phone call in AZ) and for flying, a US passport.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...Thanks for the info, guys. But let me ask you this. Say, there is someone else close to my name. If I contact NICS will they put me on a different list, to where they wouldn't "delay" me??? ...Again thanks for any info.

...BTW, no identify thefts. And my name is not common. There are a few people across the country with my same name...that could be the problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTeer View Post
    ...Thanks for the info, guys. But let me ask you this. Say, there is someone else close to my name. If I contact NICS will they put me on a different list, to where they wouldn't "delay" me??? ...Again thanks for any info.

...BTW, no identify thefts. And my name is not common. There are a few people across the country with my same name...that could be the problem.
    Re-read post #4.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    With a surname of Smith, believe me, if approval from a remote agency is required for ANYTHING (gun purchase, flying commerically, etc.) you get used to the the delay. The best foils for gun purchases are a CCW (not in all states, but it eliminates the phone call in AZ) and for flying, a US passport.
    Ha. I'm not going to type my real name but it's similar to Kneusenshaefer. I am the only atctimmy Kneusenshaefer in existence and I never get a delay. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ha. I'm not going to type my real name but it's similar to Kneusenshaefer. I am the only atctimmy Kneusenshaefer in existence and I never get a delay. :)
    You just screwed the pooch. From now on, you will forever be known to me and the rest of the DC membership as atctimmy Kneusenshaefer!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thats happened to me before i had my ccdw.....good thing about KY is you can show your ccdw and that substitutes the calling process. My gun shop guy also stated that at any one time someone in the US or abroad is attempting to use your SSN. I would say doing the optional SSN on the form would help some.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Senior Moderator
    NCIS assumes that you are guilty of something until they prove you innocent...even though some people think its the end all to the wrong people getting guns, it is definatley not. Lots of good people get drug through the wringer over having the same name as a scuzball. You would think that a computer could tell the difference but the system is only as good as the operator running it. Sometimes I can barely understand what they say.

It sucks but thats the way it is. Get the NICS number as suggested and you wont have any more issues.
    zacii likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Be glad that you don't get your background check through TICS (Tennessee's version of NICS). It costs $10 and is horrible.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You just screwed the pooch. From now on, you will forever be known to me and the rest of the DC membership as atctimmy Kneusenshaefer!
    Not by me, that's to bloody much to type!
    atctimmy likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    NCIS assumes that you are guilty of something until they prove you innocent...even though some people think its the end all to the wrong people getting guns, it is definatley not. Lots of good people get drug through the wringer over having the same name as a scuzball. You would think that a computer could tell the difference but the system is only as good as the operator running it. Sometimes I can barely understand what they say.

It sucks but thats the way it is. Get the NICS number as suggested and you wont have any more issues.
    This is the truth of the matter, therefore NICS is the

Kneusenshaefer! Kinda like Blucher!

atctimmy likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have bought multiple guns over the last couple of years and then the last time I went to get my Glock 30SF I got delayed. I was frustrated but there was not anything I could do.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links