Which cheap/beginner pump shotgun?

This is a discussion on Which cheap/beginner pump shotgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hunt with an 870 express. It can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Your choice 26" or 28" barrel. Brand new they cost about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which cheap/beginner pump shotgun?

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I hunt with an 870 express. It can shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Your choice 26" or 28" barrel. Brand new they cost about 220 out the door. Mine was the first gun I ever bought, and I do not regret it.
    Curry

2. Remove Ads

Homer: Thanks for the link on the 870 vs. the 500. Good points.

RSSZ: Thanks for explaining the reasoning for the shorter barrel. I've not been having any trouble swinging the 28" barrel for skeet doubles, but I may have to consider a shorter barrel.

The decision doesn't look quite as simple now... I feel the urge to go put my hands on a Remington and a Mossberg to see which feels best. Especially comparing those safeties and plastic triggers.

Thanks to everyone for the input, thoughts and tips!

I have 3 870's one has wood. you can find them you just have find them.

Mossy's

I have heard about the some plastic parts in a mossy, but not of them being a problem. Though I am not a gunsmith so no-one is bringing me their broken guns. that said, they do have a great warranty, 10 years I believe, so I don't think they are breaking down that often when you look at the sheer number of 500's out there.

They also make a milspec version of the 500 with all metal parts, the 590, but as you said, you are not out for a tricked out LE/Tactical version.

Mossberg have also bought out another company, Maverick, which make a perfectly servicable shotgun which Academy are selling for an unbelievable $138. Somethimes, depending on what offers they are doing, they even throw in a hard case.

The Maverick does have its limitations such as only having a single bar attached to the pump to work the action, but people who have actually bought one seem to think they are fine for what they are.

Remington 870's are also great. Not sure if the '870 Express' is the same as the 870. I had read some posts somewhere that the 870 Express also contains some plastic parts such as the trigger plate assembly and the magazine spring retainer. Also not heard of people having a problem with them either.

Really, I don't see Remington or Mossberg risking their reputation if they didn't think that these plastic were perfectly servicable. Sure, I would prefer all metal, but thats more dollars too, and if cost is an issue, then you have to balance the two.

So, in my opinion, if cost is a real issue, get a Maverick. Otherwise get a 500 or a 870 Express.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I personally would go with the Model 870 Express. It was my first field shotgun, and it has never failed me. It sits in the corner of my bedroom right now, with an 18'' barrel and a magazine extender. I know that if I were to pick it up and need it, it will work.

Like I said earlier, Ive worked on several Mossbergs (since almost none of the retailers who sell the vast majority of these service them), and while most of these failures could be attributed to abuse, I would not feel confident recommending one to you. Mossberg does have good customer service however, and will honor their warranties without much of a hassle.

And on the Maverick. I had a friend call me up one day excited because he had just bought the bargain maverick at Academy for the ridiculous price of $138, and he wanted to go shooting at our place. I agreed, and we went out and set up some doors, and some silouette targets to test it out. 60 rounds into shooting, the trigger broke. It broke. It literally fell out of the trigger housing. This was before I started working at my current gunstore, so he was pretty much on his own to get it fixed. Dont know if it was just a lemon or what...but I cant recommend that either after seeing that with my own eyes.

If youre really interested in just using it for home defense, pony on up a little, and get yourself a Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18'' 7+1 cylinder bore. If it were my money thats where Id put it. http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp
    Last edited by hsuCowboy98; July 21st, 2006 at 10:55 AM.
    Fear No Evil.

Kat
    Benelli Nova. Can't find anything to beat its value (price/quality).
    Last edited by Kat; July 29th, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    One last input if I may.

I had a Moss500 way back when. It was the 20" V/R bbl,screw in choke,12 ga. I used it for crows in the corn belt states.I would shoot 75-125 rds during a hunt of the bigger flyways. This, in a period of 2-3 early AM hours. One hunt I took 6 boxes of ammo and ran out before the morning was finished. (You get the picture) That shotgun probably had 10,000rds thru it when I traded it for a Rem.11-87.

My wife has a Moss500 youth model,20ga.,22" bbl,screw in chokes, that she has had for 14(or so) years. She and I have put 2000rds. thru it,hunting crows,woodcock,grouse,and ducks. She used it for coyotes also, during the very cold Maine winters,sitting over a deer kill at night.(in Jan.)

I have a Moss 500, 8 shot, pistol grip,that is one of my HD weapons. It has 200rds thru it.

Also for a number of years the USN used the Moss500 for their ship/sub at port sentry weapon.(along with the Rem.870's)

There are lots of parts on lots of different weapons that are made of plastic. These parts are not usually subject to wear because of lack of movement. Or if they do move,they move against other plastic parts.Hince, very low friction. Are plastic weapons parts bad?? Can't say for certin.If used in just the right places,I would guess no, unless the plastic is too hard or soft.

I have never had a problem with any Mossberg that I have owned. And the military had the usual/normal stuff go wrong but (IIRC) it never could be attributed to plastic parts.

This is just my opinion of the use of plastic parts. I know that there are others. -------

I have no problem with plastic parts, if they are used in the right places. The main issue I have with the plastic trigger groups, on ANY shotgun is the suceptability to impact damage, especially in cold environments. Say what you want, but a plastic will not take a blunt impact in the same way steel will. This shouldnt be an issue if the weapon is cared for properly, but things happen beyond anyones control, and somehow these things do get busted. What will break plastics will scratch or dent a steel part, and you can always fix a scratch or dent, you cant superglue plastic back together.

My 870 express has a plastic trigger gaurd/assembly, havent had a problem with it. Havent dropped it onto a rock lately either.
    Fear No Evil.

If I were to get a mossberg it would be this one :
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
    Fear No Evil.

I have heard about Mossberg also, and Cowboy 98 why that model.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Because it is the blued steel model of the model 500 mariner....the shotgun referanced earlier by RSSZ as the mil-spec shotgun in use by the Navy. It is built to the same mil-spec requirements, but isnt stainless. It is a great home-defense design.
    Fear No Evil.

Okay, I have not seen any comment like this so I'll toss it out. I have had many a shottie in my life including the pumps and prefer the semiauto by far. My reasoning is that in case of stress which need not necessarily life threatening but just the time factor of missing the bird and QUICK rack that pump for the second shot.... there is the tendency by some of the novice shooters to Short Stroke the pump and cause a double feed jam that is just a MESS to clear. On a hunt if this happens you miss the shot and your buddies laugh. At home...it could get you killed.

I like the Remington M1100 or the Remington 11-87 and I really like my used Benelli M121 which is the precursor to the well known M1 Super 90. I do better with this gun at sporting clays than many of the high falutin' 20 grand over and under shotties that the rich folks tote. I got my Benelli used at a gun show for just a shade under $400. It has beautiful wood furniture a proported barrel and ghost ring sights....and a sling that is fitted euro style on the side and around the barrel on a clamp. I can empty the entire eight rounds before the FIRST hull hits the ground. That is fast.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I bought the GF a Benelli Nova. I like it so much that I'm getting one for myself. The price is right & they seem to be a very good wepon.
    check them out at www.benelliusa.com
    I HAVE TWO GUNS. ONE FOR EACH OF YOU!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links