Ammo storage question

This is a discussion on Ammo storage question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a bunch of ammo for a firearms course I'm taking in April and was wondering if I needed to do anything special with ...

Thread: Ammo storage question

Ammo storage question

I got a bunch of ammo for a firearms course I'm taking in April and was wondering if I needed to do anything special with it? Do I need to put dissicant packs in with it? I'm keeping it in the UPS box it shipped in. I live in FL, is the humidity going to screw it up? It's been about a day, is it too late? Sorry for the noob questions.

2. Remove Ads

High humidity and large temperature swings are the enemy of stored ammo. But over the span of a couple of months, you won't have any problems. Just keep it out of the rain. Long-term, in your environment I'd be inclined to store it in an air-conditioned space, but nothing special beyond that.

Don't apologize... every one of us here was new to this at one time or another, and the smartest ones here are the ones still asking questions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    High humidity and large temperature swings are the enemy of stored ammo. But over the span of a couple of months, you won't have any problems. Just keep it out of the rain. Long-term, in your environment I'd be inclined to store it in an air-conditioned space, but nothing special beyond that.

Don't apologize... every one of us here was new to this at one time or another, and the smartest ones here are the ones still asking questions.
    Thanks.

As a real basic rule of thumb, if you're comfortable then ammo will be fine in the same area. Stick it in the closet in the boxes it came in and you should be good to go. Most modern ammo can tolerate a bit of a temp swing and some humidity but not for extended periods ( months as another poster has said). Enjoy the class! And let us know how you do.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got ammo that's been stored inside my S. FL home for 20 yrs. Every round I've ever pulled out has gone bang. Unless you're storing it in a leaky shed in the backyard, don't worry about it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It has probably gone bad. PM me and I will tell you where to send it.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    It has probably gone bad. PM me and I will tell you where to send it.
    Semper Fi
    lol

Another thought

I agree with the humidity, fairly constant temperature, etc. What about storing the amoo with the round up or down? Does powder settle away from the primer if stored bullet down, does it matter?

^^^This is something I'd like to see the answer too!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

It isn't going to matter if the round is right side up or down, it is all about the storage area you are doing this and if they have been under water at any time. I have rounds that I reloaded in the early 1970's that still go bang now in 38 Spl from a Lee Loader. This isn't about fine wine it is Bullits that are reloaded. I also have some fine wine that is stored in the horizantal positional in my wine rack. The wine is all doing well, along with the boolits........
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Since standard factory ammo and properly produced hand loads seem to be shelf stable for decades, I've got a big Rubbermaid storage bin with a couple desiccant packs where I keep my standard store bought boxed ammo. I write the month and the year on the box of all ammo purchased so I know when I got it and go with a "first in, first out" usage. This way I'm pretty much covered except in the event of a biblical flood and I'm nowhere near any kind of flood territory. I keep the bulk ammo in standard surplus ammo cans but I got bored the other night and sorted a bunch into "snack packs" for the range using small ziplock bags. I packaged according to the capacity of my guns, meaning in .38sp I did 24rd packs so 4 cylinders per bag.

Is any of the necessary? Probably not. I've shot boxes of shotgun shells and .22lr that came out of my grandfather's basement that he bought who knows when and he just stored them up on the iron i-beam that ran down the width of the house. That basement was a dark damp place and it turned a lot of that brass green with oxidation. With the exception of a lone 12 gauge shell, everything has gone bang.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmeav8r View Post
    I agree with the humidity, fairly constant temperature, etc. What about storing the amoo with the round up or down? Does powder settle away from the primer if stored bullet down, does it matter?
    It makes no difference how it is stored. Up, down, whatever.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links