Texas star

Texas star

This is a discussion on Texas star within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot in my first IPSC match of the year today and didn't do too well, but not horrible either. I shot two great stages ...

Thread: Texas star

VIP Member

Texas star

I shot in my first IPSC match of the year today and didn't do too well, but not horrible either.

I shot two great stages and I had two bonehead stages. I blazed through a stage thinking I was the man only to realize I didn't make the required mag change and took 4 penalties.... :( I rocked the actual shooting part of the stage though so I didn't feel too bad.

My second bonehead stage finished up with a Texas star. I have never shot one before and it handed me a butt kickin'. Once it started spinning I was toast. Oh well, live and learn. I'll find one to practice on and get better at it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

JD
    Administrator
    Talk to the guys running the club and see if the have practice matches and insist that they use a star.

Humbling, ain't it?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The local club has a Texas Star and I shot it on a match that I entered. I was told to do it in a certain sequence or else it would get the best of me. Of course I didn't shoot it in sequence but, through nothing but sheer luck, managed to knock off the additional targets with little trouble. It sure wasn't special shooting skill on my part but rather just taking a desperate stab at it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Humbling, ain't it?
    Yes, very.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Talk to the guys running the club and see if the have practice matches and insist that they use a star.
    My club doesn't have one. This place was a bit of a drive.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    Shoot the star on the top. When it circles downward keep the gun at the top and shoot at the leading edge of the plates as they come around.

Dont try to follow the plate, keep the gun stationary and at the top. Its all about timing and once you do it a few times you'll be able to clean it in 3-4 seconds.

Do it this way and you get em every time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Shoot the star on the top. When it circles downward keep the gun at the top and shoot at the leading edge of the plates as they come around.

Dont try to follow the plate, keep the gun stationary and at the top. Its all about timing and once you do it a few times you'll be able to clean it in 3-4 seconds.
    +1 AKA "ambushing" a consistently moving target. Pick a stationary spot for your sights in the path that your target will pass & let the target come to you (leading as needed depending on distance & speed of movement), instead of "chasing" the target with your sights.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

<chuckles> I've never had the star spin on me. Just shoot it fast and accurately and she won't even wiggle. 5 shots and it's over (start at the top).

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Links