Do you get anything from the Larry Potterfield personal defense gun vids?

This is a discussion on Do you get anything from the Larry Potterfield personal defense gun vids? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watch several of the gun related shows on The Outdoor Channel and find that some of them have some interesting info. I think it ...

Thread: Do you get anything from the Larry Potterfield personal defense gun vids?

I watch several of the gun related shows on The Outdoor Channel and find that some of them have some interesting info. I think it might be The Best Defense that has these clips of Larry Potterfield scoring guns for personal defense. Although I usually watch them with curiosity and the hopes that he'll do a gun that I have or am interested in, I'm not really sure what I am supposed to get from them.

I'm not sure what the speed you can pick it up off a table and shoot 1 shot has to do with anything. And both the speed that you/he can do that as well as the number of shots you can get in a paper plate at 20ft in 5 seconds with 1 hand seems to variable from person to person I'm just not sure what the point of these comparisons are. Does anyone else feel this way or am I missing something? I'd rather him just do a mini review. "This gun is/isn't easy to conceal because of its size. It fires this way. It has good/bad recoil making accuracy this. It is/isn't a good CCW gun because of these reasons. etc" The score is meaningless to me and seems rather random. Not sure how they assign them, especially the caliber ones that seem to go up at random increments.

Here is an example.

Essentailly, they tell you what the specific gun will do, within the set parameters, by that shooter, nothing more. Further, given that you accept the provided ratings for the "knockdown power" of the load.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Essentailly, they tell you what the specific gun will do, within the set parameters, by that shooter, nothing more. Further, given that you accept the provided ratings for the "knockdown power" of the load.
    Right. My point is that those particular parameters just seem kind of pointless. I'd rather he do a mini-review of the gun like I mentioned. I'd think that would provide people with more useful info that they could sink their teeth into.

Links