Red Dot Sights - Not Laser Sights

This is a discussion on Red Dot Sights - Not Laser Sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in getting the opinions of this board on red dot sights. I am talking about the type that are mounted on your ...

Thread: Red Dot Sights - Not Laser Sights

VIP Member

Red Dot Sights - Not Laser Sights

I am interested in getting the opinions of this board on red dot sights. I am talking about the type that are mounted on your weapon and put a red dot on the target in the scope, but don't project the dot outside of the scope - not laser sights.

I have one of these, a Bushnell, mounted on a Mini-14 and it is good for hitting clay targets at 100 yards, but it does not do much for target, bullseye shooting; the smallest dot is 3 MOA in size. I suppose if the SHTF, it would be better than a regular scope because there is no magnification and it would work on zombies out to 200 yards or so, but for smaller targets and hunting its uses seem limited. Best to keep a few extra batteries around for a SHTF scenario as you will just have an empty tube when the power goes out.

I have been considering putting the red dot sight on my slug gun and getting a 3-9x40 for the Mini-14. The red dot would be fine for shooting deer at slug ranges.

I guess I am interested in hearing what others are doing with red dot sights, what the percieved application for them is and what your opinions are about them in general.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

On my frearms dedicated to shtf or SD jobs, I do not place electronic gadgets on them. But they are a good alternative to open sight, fpr hunting situations where low lighting can make proper site picture difficult.

I believe its important to use the proper tools for the right job, and I do not like compromises, especially for things that you depend on for desperate times. I was using an m16a2 for 8 years with open sites and could hit man sized targets at 600 meters with regularity, using just iron aperature sites. It worked then, works now.

I think however they can be useful in other areas, such as informal plinking, and low light shooting. Just dont forget to turn it off, and keep spare batteries on hand.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I personally like Aimpoint style sights for CQB/SHTF/SD type work on rifles. It makes for very quick target transition, and the model I have has a supposed 50,000 hour battery life, and I keep spares on hand. Yes, it can go down, which is why on my M-4 I have a stand alone iron sight co-witnessed with the dot, so that I can seamlessly transition to irons without any issues at all. The red dot is for under 200m, for out to about 500m, I am comfortable with the irons on man sized targets.

I think that the 0-25 meters, especially indoors, or in low light conditions are really where such optics shine.

Most red dots are not designed to give you precision accuracy, I like a 3MOA dot, and for most hunting or SD applications, that would fit my needs just fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Red/green vortex strikefire on my ar. flip up mapul back up sights. If batteries die, I just press the sight and it pops up and I can still shoot fine through the red dot. Better than a scope at 0-100 yards I think. works fine out to 200. 300 would be pushing it. mine came with a screw in 2x mag. Easy to carry, not fast to put in. You can buy flip away magnification

I own an Eotech 522 and I love it, speeds up target acquisition like nothing else. I do have it co-witnessed with a set of GG&G flip up irons JIC. Although to reiterate what other have said, it's helpful, but shouldn't replace regular training with irons.
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Red/green vortex strikefire on my ar. flip up mapul back up sights. If batteries die, I just press the sight and it pops up and I can still shoot fine through the red dot. Better than a scope at 0-100 yards I think. works fine out to 200. 300 would be pushing it. mine came with a screw in 2x mag. Easy to carry, not fast to put in. You can buy flip away magnification
    I agree, I have the same setup on my BCM MID-16, except with the BCM folding battle sights. I would recommend it.

Did you want to go higher end? You should jump over to AR15.com because those guys know their optics like you wouldn't believe.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Did you want to go higher end? You should jump over to AR15.com because those guys know their optics like you wouldn't believe.
    No, I was not thinking of going higher end, but to a traditional scope. I am planning to do some coyote hunting and was considering the .223 for the task. I have a 30-06 that is already scoped and would also work, but I would like to try the .223 on yotes as well.

At the club's 200 yard range, I can ring the 6" gong with the 30-06 pretty routinely. With the .223, it is more hit and miss, but misses are not off by much. I am hoping that this is the sight and not the gun - I have one of the newer mini-14s with the thicker, tapered barrel that are supposed to be more accurate. I have never shot it with just the iron sights because of the hassle of mounting the red dot which I got when I got the gun. I could just take the Weaver mount base off the gun and try with open sights, but getting that mounting plate on and off a Mini-14 is a royal PITA. If I take it off, I will almost certainly not put it back on and just use the 1" bases that come with the rifle with a traditional scope. The stock mounts do not fit the red dot's tube, so I had to mount the Weaver base.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Can't help you with the red dot question, but I do have a 3-9 x scope on my Mini 14. I leave it set at 3 x for close-in, and have the option of more magnification if needed. Works for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Was this red dot sight your asking about for a handgun?
    I'm considering getting one for my handgun and would like to hear from others who already have done this.
    For God, Family and Country!

sgb
    Red dots are a CQB optic, for four legged varmints at distance a more conventional Scope would seem to make more sense.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Was this red dot sight your asking about for a handgun?
    I'm considering getting one for my handgun and would like to hear from others who already have done this.
    I like mine well enough. There are lots of threads on this topic, with this being a recent one:
    RMR sights
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Red dots are a CQB optic, for four legged varmints at distance a more conventional Scope would seem to make more sense.
    ^^^ this ^^^

Personally I think your application really will require a traditional scope. As already stated, the red dot type of scope is mostly a quick acquisition, short to mid distance type of device. My Aimpoint has a 2 moa dot, so it is pretty easy to maintain decent accuracy at 100 yards, but if you are looking for critical shot placement at that distance or beyond, I'd say a traditional scope would work best. If you need some illumination for low light, Trijicon has a line of AccuPoint magnified scopes that might be worth a look. They aren't super cheap, but I've tried one and it was pretty impressive.

A good Red dot is a great reflective fire site. That is why they use them . They take practice to get use to using you need need to retrain you thinking a bit.
    On hand guns many have found them effect however they add bulk and with a hand gun that may not be desirable .
    If you want to spend some cash that high end ones are out standing. Learn to use it you will hit more targets faster and be on target when you do

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have used red dots for 26 years on handguns for hunting. Nothing can beat a dot or reflex sight for fast on target shoots at short ranges. And you are right that a scope is by far better at controled accurate placing of bullets at most any distance. For hunting large game beyond 40 to 60 yards a scope is far better. The redot would be at home also on a turkey gun. But even for deer hunting I would look to a scope for modern rifled slug barrel as they can place slugs around 3 to 4" at 200 yards. Put that dot you on a 22 pistol or a 22 rifle for kids to have a ball with but not a replacement for quality open sights/receiver sight for short distances or a scope for the intended needs.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Ultra Dot match dot hands down. Have one on my Buckmark and will be putting one on my GP100. Seen a lot of guys using them at Camp Perry matches and was interested in them. Picked one up and wouldn't use anything else now. Thats just my .02 though.

Links