Home shooting range?

Home shooting range?

This is a discussion on Home shooting range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not sure I am starting this thread in the right forum. If not I am sorry. I am fortunate enough to be able ...

Thread: Home shooting range?

Home shooting range?

I am not sure I am starting this thread in the right forum. If not I am sorry. I am fortunate enough to be able to walk out the door of my house and shoot without worrying about neighbors. It is not uncommon to hear the neighbors off in the distance getting in some shooting time. I have started making my own shooting area with silhouette targets, cans and other misc. items to shoot. I am working a moving target right now. I was wondering if some of you might have some ideas on targets, training and practice.

With a littel thought, you can make "reactive" spinning targets with PVC pipe and fittings.
    I use the PVC to make the stand, and the "arms".
    I use the interlocking foam mats to make "self healing" targets. Cut round sections of the foam using a utility knife and a coffecan or dish.
    I use Dirty Bird or similar self stick targets on the "rounds."

You can shoot at clay targets as well but when you hit 'em you gotta go replace 'em.

In any case, KNOW YOUR BACSTOP!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A clothesline and deadweights (or an electric motor if you're handy and you have juice nearby) can make a traversing target.

Use a pivot and a counterweight (like a pendulum) to make an oscillating target... use IDPA-sized cardboard and place the "mover" behind a no-shoot target the same size.

A handy person could also make a Texas Star... use clay pigeons instead of steel plates.
    See for an example - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/tx_star1.jpg
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks. The place I shoot is backed up by a hillside probably 30-40' almost straight up. I guess you might say I live in a hole.

The Texas star looks doable.

Quote Originally Posted by themailman View Post
    I am not sure I am starting this thread in the right forum. If not I am sorry. I am fortunate enough to be able to walk out the door of my house and shoot without worrying about neighbors. It is not uncommon to hear the neighbors off in the distance getting in some shooting time. I have started making my own shooting area with silhouette targets, cans and other misc. items to shoot. I am working a moving target right now. I was wondering if some of you might have some ideas on targets, training and practice.

Same here!! I can sit on my back deck and blast away. I use my wood pile as my pistol back stop and the old railroad track berm that is 310 yards away is my rifle back stop.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

over the years the two targets that seem to work is a cart or some kind like a wagon that can be pulled with a rope OR a garage door opener has forward and reverse that can be mounted on a poll to make the target moves side to side or back and forth( ropes and pulleys)

Here are some pictures of my range. I dug into a hillside and graveled in a 30x30 yard pistol range. I use the same backstop and swingers for 200, 300, and 400 yard rifle with another berm higher on the hill for 500 yards. I use IDPA silhouette stands that we welded up, Arntzen 2/3rds IDPA Steel in AR500 on portable stands, and an Arntzen knockdown target that I use to trigger a swinger holding another IDPA target. Iíve also got a set of 12 Bowling Pins in AR500, a couple of squirrel/rabbit silhouettes for rimfire and a couple welded 4x4í target stands for testing loads or zeroing at distance. To hold all the targets I use a small garden shed on the gange. For training, we mostly setup IDPA scenarios:

Knockdown hit and swinger in motion.

Bowling Pins:

200-300 meter Bench:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsored Links