My Webley is home again

This is a discussion on My Webley is home again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few months ago my brother gave me a Webley MP model in .450 Davis made in the 1880's, one of the first "Concealed Carry" ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rachilders
  • 1 Post By Oaklands

Thread: My Webley is home again

My Webley is home again

A few months ago my brother gave me a Webley MP model in .450 Davis made in the 1880's, one of the first "Concealed Carry" guns. It originally became part of my family when my uncle brought it home from Britain during WWII. He was stationed with several Brit units in SE Asia during the war and gave the revolver to my grandfather as a war trophy when he returned home in 1945. Upon my grandfathers death in 1968 my father got the gun and kept it until he died in 1995. It was thought "lost" until a few month ago when my younger brother found it in a shoe box stored in my mothers bedroom closet. It seems my mother returned the Webley to my uncle Bob (who I was named after) when my dad died and he kept it in a bedroom closet until just before his death a few years ago at age 92. When he entered a nursing home a few months before his death, my uncle gave the revolver back to my mother. My mother kept the gun until her death last summer and my brother found it as they were sorting through her things afterwards. He knew I'd always had an interest in the pistol - it was the first handgun I ever fired back in the 60's as a teen - so he gave it to me.

Overall it was in outstanding condition except for a trigger problem; the trigger failed to reset after it was pulled. Well, I finally took the gun to a local repair shop last week. The gunsmith checked it over, cleaned the insides and he discovered the reason for the trigger problem. It seems a spring had simply come loose, probably due to age. He replaced it with a new one since the old spring seemed weak and now the gun works like new. In fact, he was so impressed by the condition of the gun he offered to buy it from me for his own collection! I said thanks but no thanks and I now have the Webley back home again.

Now, if I could just find some 450 Davis ammo...
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray and wmhawth like this.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Nice! Keep it in the family!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    Very nice
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Great gun and great history behind it!! Looks like you have a family heirloom in your hands!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Yea Webleys!

Am picky about my revolvers but am willing to let Webley revolvers live here with the Colts and Smith & Wessons.

Always love to see them. Thanks for the photos.

Just the thing for putting down the Hound of the Baskervilles.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I love my early 1900's Webley in .455. Hornady is the only people I know that makes ammo for it. It is a very accurate gun. I have the original grips as well.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

Being an 1883 MP (Metropolitan Police) model, it was built for the London police and would have been around during the time of Jack the Ripper. I've always wondered if it was carried by one of the detectives searching for him in the alleys of White Chapel in 1888. Of course he was only a character of fiction, but I can envision Sherlock Holmes carrying one as he chases a criminal through the back streets of Victorian London or fires his Webley at the Hound of the Baskervilles.

If it could only talk. I wonder what tales it would tell about it's travels from the banks of the Thames River to the hills of Texas ...
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

If it could only talk. I wonder what tales it would tell about it's travels from the banks of the Thames River to the hills of Texas
    Well here we go again another day of getting shoved inside my owners waistband,hope it's cool outside I sure hate getting all sweaty,sure is dark in here I wonder if I'm alone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post
    I love my early 1900's Webley in .455. Hornady is the only people I know that makes ammo for it. It is a very accurate gun. I have the original grips as well.

Hi Oaklands;

Fantastic revolver! Except, isn't your Webley actually a Smith & Wesson Triple Lock?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Good eye you have there. It is a triple lock. I should have clarified that. It shoots the Webley round of a .455 MKII.

The front sight on the S&W is huge.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Great for an old guy like me. Only shot it at the range one time. My dad passed it down to me and never fired it. He got it back in the 70's. First shot I fired was a perfect bulls-eye at 7 yards. Put 20 rounds of Hornady through it and put it back in the safe. I doubt I ever fire it again.

I'm hopeless. I'd be shooting the hooey out of both of these revolvers featured in this thread. I'd be for trimming some .455 cases into .450s and handloading for the little Webley. Probably would have to carry it on occasion if it exhibited any sort of accuracy. It'd still be a dandy close-range thumper.

I'd proudly have that Triple Lock out at the range, trying it out with various handloads and just enjoying the use of it. The .455 cartridge is a lot of fun and the Smith & Wesson Triple Lock is on of my holy grail guns to obtain.

Just seeing both of these revolvers here on the Forum makes my whole day.

A couple of Webley revolvers reside here. The one with the lanyard attached is a Mark IV .455 made in 1899 and sold through the Army & Navy Cooperative Society London and so marked. Army & Navy was where many British officers "kitted out" before leaving for hot spots in far-flung places in the British Empire. This one could have seen Boer War service. A collector kindly sent me a photocopy of the actual entry recording my revolver's sale but I can't make a thing out.

The other revolver is a World War II Webley Mark IV .38/200 that was produced about mid-war. Both have outstanding ergonomics despite their funny appearance and are fast and slick to operate with their top-break design and automatic ejection feature. Both exhibit great accuracy at any practical handgun ranges.

"Long ago life was clean
    Sex was bad and obscene
    And the rich were so mean
    Stately homes for the Lords
    Croquet lawns, village greens
    Victoria was my queen
    Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, 'toria

I was born, lucky me
    In a land that I love
    Though I am poor, I am free
    When I grow I shall fight
    For this land I shall die
    Let her sun never set
    Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, toria

Land of hope and gloria
    Land of my Victoria
    Land of hope and gloria
    Land of my Victoria
    Victoria, 'toria

Canada to India
    Australia to Cornwall
    Singapore to Hong Kong
    From the West to the East
    From the rich to the poor
    Victoria loved them all
    Victoria, Victoria, Victoria"

Obscure oldies rock song by the Kinks. Music for reading this thread by. Best done too loud. Victoria Regina would not be amused!
    YouTube - VICTORIA / THE KINKS

Links