Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now look, why did you have to go and start such a thread? And why does everybody have to keep talking about the Ruger Single ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform?

Now look, why did you have to go and start such a thread? And why does everybody have to keep talking about the Ruger Single Six like that?
    Now, "you've all" got me wanting to get a Single Six. Man, I tell ya, you can't even just relax and read the forum these days without someone putting thoughts in your head. LOL
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    A nice ol' S&W Model 63 Stainless Steel "Kit" gun.
    What a great tack driving little beauty.

Save yourself some money ..... the Charter Arms .22 revolver , if you truly are stuck on a revolver. They are good guns.

You can also pick up a few older HK revolvers in .22 that are good. The trigger pulls on these guns are much much better.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I've had a single six for years, that's what would get my vote as well. I like the bearcat but if I could only keep one it would be the single six.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Any S&W 4",5",6" barrel is excellent, but pricey. Taurus makes a decent .22 in stainless also. I agree with the Ruger single six. It's affordable and flexible with both cylinders. Not fast, but, you're hunting squirrels, etc. so thats not a factor. A Ruger Mark2/3 with adjustable sights would work too. And it is quick with follow-up shots. There are plenty to choose from, revolver or semi-auto. Rest assured, a good semi-auto .22 is as reliable and simple as any of the revolvers.
    As for barrel length, for what you want it for, the longer the better. Most all of them, semi or revolver will handle short, long and long rifle. Some won't, so do your research
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    A nice ol' S&W Model 63 Stainless Steel "Kit" gun.
    What a great tack driving little beauty.
    Indeed it is... I found this one for my lady (her first shots ever on that target).

Colleen's first target_c.jpg
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Save yourself some money ..... the Charter Arms .22 revolver , if you truly are stuck on a revolver. They are good guns.

You can also pick up a few older HK revolvers in .22 that are good. The trigger pulls on these guns are much much better.
    +1 I have a .22 charter snub nose I wanted a longer barrel but it was a great price so I picked it up and was amazed at the accuracy at 25ft I can chew the bullseye out completely no problem.

gtv
    I would go with the single six as well, if funds allow, although I have a Heritage Rough Rider that has been an excellent and accurate revolver.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

My thoughts on this kind of deviate from most others here, and here's why. The single six is a great gun, and the dual cylinder gives you a 22 mag option, which is a good thing, however; if I were looking for a 22 to be a survival gun as you say, I would choose a gun chambered for either the 22 long rifle , or magnum, but not both and here's why.

I would want all the accuracy out of that gun I could get. Missing a squirell or rabit while out humming the woods is one thing; missing one in a survival situation means going hungry.

A firearm dedicated to being one or the other is more likely to be more accurate than one chambered for both. The 22 mag is slightly larger in diameter than the long rifle, which means the bore will be bigger than needed for the LR. Additionaly, there may be a longer than needed frame which means longer than necassary LR cylinder. This requires more free travel till the jump thru the forcing cone than necassary. Little things have a marked influence on accuracy.

Does this mean the single six is not a great shooter? No, not at all. But, in my experience a gun dedicated to the 22 lr is more accurate than one that can fire both.

Not trying to say anyone else is wrong and I'm right, but trying to give you a different bit of info. I would buy either a Ruger mk 2 or a fine S&W revolver like pictured above. Just my opinion.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It might take some looking, but I'd recommend a H&R model 929 with a six inch barrel (preferably). No longer made but you might find a good used one at reasonable price.

Nice little 9-shot DA/SA revolver, shoots all .22 rds (S/L/LR/Shot). I used mine grequent to supply "camp meat." If you've got the big calibers and shotguns covered, there's not a real need to go for a .22 Mag.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Single six by Ruger..but I would actually want a 22 rifle for survival. Bolt action.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I prefer 4" barrels for carry so that's likely what I'd throw in the bag for emergencies but Ruger's Super Single six or a Bearcat would work.

Personally, I'd rather take a 12ga or even 20ga for an emergency gun: One gun that can put anything on the table from squirrels to birds to deer, with different shells for any anticipated game, that takes up less storage space. Now, if you just WANT a .22 to ring out and see what it's capable of ... I'd watch the used cases and see what old gems pop up.

Oh, a revolver chambered for .22LR can actually fire 3 different loads: Short, Long and Long Rifle.

Look into the Heritage Rough Rider SA revolvers. They are similar to the Bearcat only a lot cheaper and the frame is a little larger, something to consider if you have larger hands. BTW, do not equate "cheap" with poor quality. I bought three for my three sons to learn handgun safety/shooting at the local range. They are well made little revolvers and my boys love them. My kids have the 5" fixed sight models but I own one of the "target" Rough Riders. It has a fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear sight and a 6.5" barrel. The gun lists on the Heritage website with both 22 LR/22 Mag cylinders for $330.00 but I see them at the local sporting goods store (Academy) for $199. You can get one in 22 LR only for $169 like I did. You can also buy extra cylinders from the factory for $29 if interested.

FWIW, you can buy guns with nicer finishes and spend more money, but if you're interested in a survial gun that works as advertised, not a safe queen that you're afraid to get dirty, you could do a LOT worse the a Rough Rider revolver. BTW, they also make revolvers in 32, 357 and 45 if you want something bigger.

The web site is http://www.heritagemfg.com
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

The Ruger Single Six is very nice. The Heritage Arms Rough Rider can be had in 3", 4" and 6" barrels with .22LR and .22MAG cylinders. And the price is good - under $200. I have both but I find the Rough Rider in 3" and 4" very comfortable to shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links