Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform?

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The only hole in my firearms collection is in the "small game category, in a .22 platform. What are your suggestions for a revolver that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a "survival revolver" in .22 platform?

The only hole in my firearms collection is in the "small game category, in a .22 platform. What are your suggestions for a revolver that would be best suited for small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc) and in what caliber, and what barrel length?

I am fine for large game, in both rifle and handgun. Plenty of big guns, and fine on the "end of the world" scenario with high-capacity rifles...but if I had to go bag a small rabbit... the 12-guage and the AR would make a mess of it.

I prefer the similicity and ease of maintenance that a revolver offers. No semi-automatics wanted. A few friends have told me there is no sense in getting a barrel longer than 5 inches...but I'd like your suggestions! Is a 4-inch barrel the best choice? Better to select a 5-inch? longer? Also, if chambered in .22, will it also shoot .22 LR and .22 short? What about upgrading to .22 magnum?

Tell me, please! Who knows how long it will be until I have to go out and kill for my dinner?!
    I want to be armed, and ready! Plus, it will be fun to shoot at the range!

With a Ruger Single Six you can change cylinders between .22 and .22 mag.

However if you really want to prepare for the end of the world and are looking for something to take small game with, you need to consider a good break over pellet rifle. Pellets are cheap and will store forever. Getting one with both .22 and .177 caliber barrels may be a plus.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'll second the single six, with both cylinders.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Charter makes one as well, if you're like me and don't care for the way single action revolvers feel in your hand.

Or try Gun Genie Search: Revolver, 22M

Look at a modern S&W 317 kit gun, or a classic stainless version.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Administrator
    The Single Six or Bearcat are the one's I'd buy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another vote for the Single Six.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Single Six again.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Single six, but I'm waiting for more info on Taurus new convertible double action 22LR/Mag revolver.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Truthfully, a simple rifle for rabbits, squirrels, etc. . Even a survival .22 rifle works well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Another vote for a Single Six, It's my favorite 22.

I also have a Heritage Rough Rider w/adj sights and both cylinders that's about 6-8yrs old. It stays packed away with my fishing gear. It's been beaten up pretty well but still goes bang. If you're short one funds, it's an acceptable substitute.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'm sticking with the Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 that I've had most of my adult life. At 8 3/8-inches the barrel is a bit long for convenient belt use but I'm not trading it away. The K-22s are very durable, over-built revolvers. The K-22's most popular barrel length was 6-inches and with the right holster could be carried high enough to be comfortable. The 4-inch Model 18 K-22 might be a better bet in a belt holster though.

You'd be best served with a 4 or 5 inch barrel as you mention and .22 Long Rifle will effectively deal with small game for the pot. The .22 Magnum might be nice if a spare cylinder was handy but is unnecessary. Lot's of rabbits and squirrels have fallen to my .22 revolver loaded with plain ol' .22 LR solids.

The pellet rifle idea has merit. Cottontails and gray squirrels go down for the count when fairly hit with a good air rifle. Make good snacks too.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

12 gauge loaded with #6 shot will kill all small game and not destory it. Just don't be standing on top of it when you shoot one. Can you change chokes on your shotgun? Mod works best.
    Semper Fi

I bougt a 6" and 4" K-22 for a similar purpose, but the tight match chambers make it hard to load after a few cylinders. It's super accurate with ammo it likes, but some (notably CCI Stinger amd Segmented HP) are hard to seat in the chambers when clean. it's just too maintenence intensive for a survival situation. I have a Single Six and I'd use that if I had a revolver need. Honestly now I use a Ruger MK II that's accurate as a rifle and reliable even when dirty.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have the Bearcat and the Single Six Convertable. I think the Bearcats is the cat's meow. This is my second convertable and I doubt between the two I have shot 50 rounds of 22Mag. I would go with the Bearcat. I tend to agree with your fried about barrel length and if I went with the Single Six I would look for the 4 5/8 barrel.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links