Something I saw at the Gun Range

This is a discussion on Something I saw at the Gun Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shoot at a gun range that is currently closed to the General Public,but they have a CHL class about once a month.Later that evening ...

Thread: Something I saw at the Gun Range

Something I saw at the Gun Range

I shoot at a gun range that is currently closed to the General Public,but they have a CHL class about once a month.Later that evening me and a buddy showed up to shoot and I noticed several live .380 rounds on the floor of spent brass.there were around 5 or 6 rounds that may have been gold dot ammo,Whoever was shooting it apparently had several FTF and you could see a dent in the front of the round where it was apparently jamming on the feed ramp/barrel,.
    I am assuming that whoever showed up with the firearm had never fired it or never fired it with this ammo,and since you can legally carry a firearm in your vehicle without a permit here,It's very possible somebody bought a gun and some ammo,and was carrying it without ever shooting it assuming it would shoot and function 100% since it was a new gun.
    Remember the Rufus and Dufus guys in Highlight books....Don't be a Dufus make sure your gun shoots flawlessly with your carry ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    In the spirit of this thread, in addition to ammo, mind the conditions in which you test your firearm. Example; A firearm which I had 'certified' for a particular hollow-point round for carrying, consistently failed to feed when I took it for a periodic test drive - even though it ran like a sewing machine the last time that I tested that round. What was different? After a methodical walk through of my cleaning procedure after my previous shooting session, I realized that I had used a different gun oil, and it had dried up while I was carrying it. A side by side comparison verified that this particular oil evaporatated faster than what I used previously (I'm purposely avoiding brand names here, as I don't feel that it's relevant to my point and the gun oil in question works great on other firearms).

My valuable lesson was whenever I change a component in my carry firearm (even oil), it must be verified before being carried again.

Links