1911 Gunsmithing

This is a discussion on 1911 Gunsmithing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is the 1911 a platform that I could handle doing work on at home? I was thinking of getting a base model and changing out ...

Thread: 1911 Gunsmithing

1911 Gunsmithing

Is the 1911 a platform that I could handle doing work on at home? I was thinking of getting a base model and changing out parts to get my own custom gun.

From what I gathered much of it is simple if your patient. Just wouldn't want to get in to deep to only find out I need a gunsmith.

By the way, which would be a good pistol to use as a base?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I configured a few myself whereby I selected the parts, and then commissioned a pro-builder to do the actual work. It's a highly skilled art and it requires more effort than some people think.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

How much customizing are you talking about? The 1911 a platform is fairly straight forward.
    Parts like side stop, hammer struts, main spring hse’ing, and ext. are fairly easy. All type’s of ways to personalize a 1911, that why I carry one. If planning on some machine work, look for pro.

IMO Only MO I would stay with steel slide & frame, only because that’s what I carried for years, like sticking with the same boots for 35 years. But really if you plan to CC I like the Commander 1911, I can carry it any time of year. And if you want the perfect CC 1911 find an old Colt combat commander, steel slide & frame, 4”1/4 barrel. I think you can still buy a newer one from Colt.
    That’s M.O but I’m byes towards 1911’s.

There is many sight out there, but for your? Check this 1 out.

The 1911 Pistol Is Its Own Toolbox!
    The 1911 Pistol is its own toolbox

Hope it helps, & send pic’s

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I configured a few myself whereby I selected the parts, and then commissioned a pro-builder to do the actual work. It's a highly skilled art and it requires more effort than some people think.
    Seems like the smart way to go. Looked online and there is SDM fabricating about 45 south of me. A lot of reviews speak highly of their work. Could have them do it after I select parts.

VIP Member
    I plan on buying an Ed Brown configured with some of their options and then change-out a part or two afterwards. Most custom shops don’t allow add-ons that they don’t sell. For instance, I love Schuemann barrels but they run easily 240-bucks and so on.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

AH. Best of spending up front the adding later?

Distinguished Member
    If you plan on working on your 1911, you will want this book.

The 1911 is fun to work on, and not hard if you have the correct tools and the willingness to learn, but you do need to know precisely how the components interact. They can be unforgiving when it comes to tolerances.

My sig has a link for the m1911.org forums. There are some real 1911 wizards there, so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

There are a few things you will want to purchase as sets if you replace them, specifically the hammer and sear. When purchased as a set, they will be properly fitted to each other.

Good luck!

Links