Foster parent process

This is a discussion on Foster parent process within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Home safety requirements. Long list but not too bad except the firearm part Must be in a safe unloaded, trigger guards installed, ammunition locked up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Foster parent process

Foster parent process

Home safety requirements. Long list but not too bad
    except the firearm part Must be in a safe unloaded, trigger guards installed, ammunition locked up separately!

I'll comply, so my grandchildren don't go to strangers, But . . .

I just bought a biometric safe so I could keep a weapon handy but not accessible.

They don't require me to drain the gas out of my cars, install a steering wheel lock and then lock the car and gas in separate buildings.

Tennessee, probably worse elsewhere
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

2. Remove Ads

How old are the kids?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    Its pretty much the same here too. But, I dont think they actually look, you just sign off saying that is the way you store your guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    How old are the kids?
    4 year old twin girls and a 6 year old boy.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its pretty much the same here too. But, I dont think they actually look, you just sign off saying that is the way you store your guns.
    Be careful with that assumption. All it takes is one DFACS busybody.

When we were preparing to adopt our beautiful daughter, part of the home study was a in-person visit. In GA, a home visit can also happen on a foster care investigation.

Better to meet the letter of the law, in this case, for as long as needed to get the kids in place. I'd hate for a "miscommunication" mess things up.
    joker1 likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Be careful with that assumption. All it takes is one DFACS busybody.

When we were preparing to adopt our beautiful daughter, part of the home study was a in-person visit. In GA, a home visit can also happen on a foster care investigation.

Better to meet the letter of the law, in this case, for as long as needed to get the kids in place. I'd hate for a "miscommunication" mess things up.
    Good advice. Just to be clear, my post wasn't meant as advice, its just an observation from working pretty close with CPS on a number of cases.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by dylistn View Post
    4 year old twin girls and a 6 year old boy.
    Ok, probably a little young to teach to shoot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What do they say about carrying? Safest place for a pistol is generally on your side, under your direct control. Just a thought. Good luck, that's a noble act. I've worked with foster kids before, they get tough to handle when they get bounced around in the system. Family is much better.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Here, you don't need to be a foster parent if you are taking care, custody or guardianship of your own grandchildren. In fact, you don't "have" to have a court involved if the parents sign custody over to you.... but at most, a court order. Rarely, does the state social services become involved unless there are some other questions related to the suitability of the grandparents and / or their home and even then, it's typically just a report to a Judge.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Where are you getting your information from? I've hunted and this is all I can find, which indicates none of those things you mentioned.

Firearms and Children Legislation - Tennessee - Kaiser State Health Facts
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Where are you getting your information from? I've hunted and this is all I can find, which indicates none of those things you mentioned.

Firearms and Children Legislation - Tennessee - Kaiser State Health Facts
    From the home inspection check list provided at the first of 5 home visits by DCS. This was produced by the bureaucracy that implements the law. They went a bit over the top.

That link simply says that TN does not require safes, trigger locks . . .

My grandkids were taken from their Mother by the state, so now they are in DCS custody. I am (and My wife) their temporary (120 days) Foster parents. The home inspections are part of the process of becoming their long term Foster parents. So these are DCS rules for foster homes. I'm going to need a bunch of trigger locks!

Just do what they ask, once all is said and done, modify youre set up as you wish, these people can and will make youre life miserable, this is what happens when you give state employees a little POWER. My wife is a social worker tho she works in the private sector, she still comes in contact with child services and the people affected by them, Im suprised that they dont get assaulted or worse more often, they seem to be trained to just hate guns anf life in general across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by dylistn View Post
    From the home inspection check list provided at the first of 5 home visits by DCS. This was produced by the bureaucracy that implements the law. They went a bit over the top.

That link simply says that TN does not require safes, trigger locks . . .

My grandkids were taken from their Mother by the state, so now they are in DCS custody. I am (and My wife) their temporary (120 days) Foster parents. The home inspections are part of the process of becoming their long term Foster parents. So these are DCS rules for foster homes. I'm going to need a bunch of trigger locks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Just do what they ask, once all is said and done, modify youre set up as you wish, these people can and will make youre life miserable, this is what happens when you give state employees a little POWER. My wife is a social worker tho she works in the private sector, she still comes in contact with child services and the people affected by them, Im suprised that they dont get assaulted or worse more often, they seem to be trained to just hate guns anf life in general across the board.
    Well, that was all that I was able to find doing a not soooo long search. I would be checking into the State laws... not just what was written up by DCS. They can print up anything they want, even if it violates your rights. You may find their little document to be invalid.

That being said, I still agree with what Rasher and some others have said. Do what you got to do to get things going in your favor, then adjust to your needs.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

When we went through the adoption process in Virginia, we had many of the same requirements. I had to lock the guns in one container unloaded and the ammo in another container. No trigger guard requirement. I used two large metal tool boxes with pad locks (keyed differently) on them because I didn't have that many guns at the time. This passed the home inspection we had. Most of the requirements weren't too big a deal. We had an inground pool at the time and I thought that was going to be a big hassle, but it wasn't. The whole process of adoption was a virtual endoscopy of you as a person from the beginning of time. Interviews of me and my wife individually, our parents, our bosses, etc. I can certainly understand why it needs to be that way. I hope all goes well. Thank you for being Foster Parents. This is such a huge need in our society. Our daughter was with a Foster Family for 2 weeks after she was born and before we brought her home. May God bless you and your family in your endeavors.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Might be easier to get those bag cuffs they use on high risk prisoners and that way the kids cant pick up anything dangerous,it would teach em not to pick boogers too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links