Man claiming self defense is charged with murder, eight months after the shooting

This is a discussion on Man claiming self defense is charged with murder, eight months after the shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man who claimed self-defense now charged with murder in Newport News | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads Local News, Virginia News & Breaking News ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Man claiming self defense is charged with murder, eight months after the shooting

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Man claiming self defense is charged with murder, eight months after the shooting

Man who claimed self-defense now charged with murder in Newport News | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads Local News, Virginia News & Breaking News | wvec.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

After reviewing the case, the Commonwealth Attorney recommended warrants be obtained by the detective for Charles Shane Christ, police spokeswoman Holly McPherson said.
    Looks like the Commonwealth's Attorney found some doubt, so he's going ahead with a prosecution.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I do not think enough is being reported. Its seems like Christ would be in the right here. There is something more we need to know...

I read this story and I'm reminded of one thing. DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE. DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.....Say it again, DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.

Just incase you want to ask a lawyer if you should talk to the police, here's a lawyer and a cop saying DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE: YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

Evidence found matches what he stated at the time?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Something sounds fishy in this story to me. We're not getting the whole story I don't believe. I hope he gets a good lawyer.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

With it being eight months after the incident, I'm wondering if new evidence surfaced.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    I might be wrong, but IMO this cannot be everything; something must be missing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

From the "facts" in the story it sure sounds like a good shoot. Definitely better be something missing for them to charge the guy.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Maybe the DA had a seance and the dead guy talked
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yeah, I think there's something else to this story as well, just taken for face value its sounds like self defense.

VIP Member
    Some folks were saying there was more to the Ung case until he was acquitted.

In many places "dead guy" means that someone has to be charged and the jury can sort it out. Shouldn't be that way, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    From the "facts" in the story it sure sounds like a good shoot. Definitely better be something missing for them to charge the guy.
    I agree. IT may just be an anti-prosecutor or over-zealous one.

There are lots of people out there that do not see knives as the threat they are, vs a gun.... so consider it disparity of force towards the person with the gun. They do not know of what they speak. We had a case here and the guy initially was found guilty of murder, but it was over-turned and eventually declared innocent.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

They're going to arrest Christ?!

Just kidding. Anyway, I'd be interested to see what any new developments were. Maybe the witnesses were bogus?

I was always wondering what the outcome of this was. I read about it in July and have been keeping an eye on it since. There has to be more to the story but the records of the guy who was shot was posted in the comments section of the daily press. When the shooting happened I did look on the VA Courts webpage and can verify most of the below.

Greg Arsenaults record

2000:
    Underage possession of alcohol
    Contempt of court
    Underage possession of alcohol (2nd time in 2000)
    Possession of marijuana
    Underage possession of alcohol (3rd time in 2000)
    Shoot from vehicle
    Attempted maiming
    Use of firearm

2001:
    Possession of marijuana w/intent to distribute
    Possession of marijuana (2nd time in 2001)
    Reckless handling of firearm
    Drunk in public
    Resisting arrest
    Breach of peace
    Drunk in public (2nd time in 2001)
    Underage possession of alcohol

2002:
    Assault

2003:
    Drunk

2004:
    Drunk in public

2006:
    Possession of firearm by convicted felon
    Brandishing a firearm

2009:
    Drunk in public
    Resisting arrest
    Drunk

2010:
    Assault on officer
    Assault on officer (again)
    Obstruction of justice
    Drunk in public

I would like to know the new evidence also. From the looks of it, Arsenaults was a model citizen. I wonder if the other guy has been in trouble in the past. The only thing I can think of, had he been drinking prior to the shooting? If so, I would think he would have been arrested prior to now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links