Proof of ID for shotgun shells at Walmart? - Page 2

Proof of ID for shotgun shells at Walmart?

This is a discussion on Proof of ID for shotgun shells at Walmart? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The last time anyone asked me to see an ID to verify my age, I laughed and handed her my glasses.... telling her she needed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Proof of ID for shotgun shells at Walmart?

The last time anyone asked me to see an ID to verify my age, I laughed and handed her my glasses.... telling her she needed them much more than I did... my gray hairs speak for themselves.

There's NO Federal law saying you can't buy ammo out of your resident state ... that's BS.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Here in Costa Rica they request your ID, your concealed carry license and they record your info down which is kept on a national database. This is to prevent criminals from buying legal ammo so I have no problem with it. In the US, yes, that is weird for them to ask for your ID.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Got some 12 g in CT a hour ago no ID.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    When I was 18, I bought a box of .22 'short' for my "ancient" .22 rifle at Wal-Mart (some time ago). The clerk asked me if it was for a rifle and I, of course, said yes. I was honest, but there was no way she could have known that. I appreciate how easy it is to get ammo since I am doing so for legal purposes. But, I am also a little scared at how easy it is for someone to get ammo for illegal purposes.

I do not like the thought of running background checks on people purchasing ammo (that's a little too '1984' for me), but I don't like how easy it is for some people to get ammo.

When I was 16, a while ago, I bought a 45 civil war reproduction revolver at a Wolco store closing sale. The clerk also sold me pyrodex, caps, and balls. Said he could not sell me black powder bercause I was under 18! So, 16 walked out of the store with a 45 and all that was needed to shoot it! Could not buy 22 ammo at the time.
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    When I was 18, I bought a box of .22 'short' for my "ancient" .22 rifle at Wal-Mart (some time ago). The clerk asked me if it was for a rifle and I, of course, said yes. I was honest, but there was no way she could have known that. I appreciate how easy it is to get ammo since I am doing so for legal purposes. But, I am also a little scared at how easy it is for someone to get ammo for illegal purposes.

I do not like the thought of running background checks on people purchasing ammo (that's a little too '1984' for me), but I don't like how easy it is for some people to get ammo.
    ...What kind of "illegal" purposes are you talking about? Is it against the law to buy handgun ammo if you are under 21? Is it just store policy? Even if your state doesn't allow you to carry a pistol if you are under 21, you can still operate one and shoot one under various conditions.

Personally, I think this country needs to get it's act together. If they want to treat and prosecute anyone who is 18 as an adult, they need all the benefits of being an adult as well. If our country thinks 18 year olds are not adults, then they need to change the lawbooks to make 21 year olds adults, and 18 year olds minors. All the grey areas are ridiculous.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's just the shotgun effect: Instead of trying to figure out who to ask ID of and for what, just ask everyone.

I'm 59+, and I still get carded from time to time when ordering a drink in a restaurant. Go figure. I guess I still look under 21.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    ...What kind of "illegal" purposes are you talking about? Is it against the law to buy handgun ammo if you are under 21? Is it just store policy? Even if your state doesn't allow you to carry a pistol if you are under 21, you can still operate one and shoot one under various conditions.
    I'm not to sure about federally, but, in SC at least, you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. And, since many handguns use 22lrs, they had to somehow "make sure" that I wasn't using the ammo for a handgun. I personally think it's incredibly stupid- a law has been passed so that 18 year olds can own handguns, but they cannot buy them from a dealer; only a private party. And, unless it's been incorporated into the new law, they can't buy ammo for their handguns. Does anyone else understand that?
    Also, I was talking to my grandfather the other day, and he told me that he recently purchased a lever-action rifle chambered in .357 magnum. What if I'm under 21 and buying ammo for my rifle? Are you going to not sell it to me because ".357 is strictly a handgun round"?

I am surprised this thread is 2 pages. I was Loss Prevention at Walmart so I can say without a doubt that the corporate policy is that all Ammo as well as tobacco, alcohol, an various other items require ID. The cashier has to enter the DOB into the register, they can hit the bypass button if the customer is clearly of age but it is highly discouraged. If a cashier bypasses and the customer is not clearly of age (senior citizen) the cashier faces immediate termination. Getting asked for ID is nothing more then a company policy and not really worthy of two pages of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    I am surprised this thread is 2 pages. I was Loss Prevention at Walmart so I can say without a doubt that the corporate policy is that all Ammo as well as tobacco, alcohol, an various other items require ID. The cashier has to enter the DOB into the register, they can hit the bypass button if the customer is clearly of age but it is highly discouraged. If a cashier bypasses and the customer is not clearly of age (senior citizen) the cashier faces immediate termination. Getting asked for ID is nothing more then a company policy and not really worthy of two pages of discussion.
    This explains the chuckle and extra key stroke when I buy ammo. Never been carded there.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I look like crap for my age, and Walmart has never carded me.

Too bad that they are trying to pretend that there are other restrictions, though, like not being able to sell to out of state residents. No such restrictions exist in Michigan.

I hav'nt bought any ammo from wally word in a few years, Last was 380's. Now I got a set of dies don't need no stinkin wal Mart ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I am a FL. resident. I have a FL. DR. License and CC permit. I have purchased ammo, shot gun shells and hand gun rounds, at Walmarts in IL., WI., and MO. as well as farm stores and sporting goods stores in other states. I have never been asked for I.D.

The issue was NEVER about age. I thought that was what the clerk was getting at and I was only amused to think of being carded. The thing that surprised me and the reason for starting the thread was all about the comments she made about being a Michigan resident. THAT was new to me and made me question the encounter. It sounds like it was a bunch of BS. ID either way doesn't really bother me, but just seemed like a weird reason.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I remember purchasing handgun ammo in Maryland or Virginia, can't remember for sure which state, in the early '80s when they actually had a green logbook like we used in the military and would record your name, address, dob and what ammo you bought.

Our local WalMart sales girl told me she has to put your DOB in the computer now, store poilcy. They have been real sticklers for it lately as they started carrying longuns last month and the employees are paranoid of getting into trouble.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links