My first 1911

This is a discussion on My first 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is one good looking RIA. I've been thinking about getting my first 1911 and been thinking about a RIA.. that is tempting....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first 1911

That is one good looking RIA. I've been thinking about getting my first 1911 and been thinking about a RIA.. that is tempting.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Nice choice, I have a compact tactical and its become my favorite handgun. Around 1400 rounds through it so far no malfunctions, I did replace the recoil spring with a #22 pound Wolff after 1000 rounds but I do that with any officer size 1911 just to insure reliability since I carry this one daily.

Here are some range pics. This is the first time firing a .45 and a 1911. This is definatley different than my XDSC-9 so it will take some practice to get to know her. It has been almost a year and a half since I have been to the range. The last few months of the wifes pregnancy and then the first year of taking care of my son didnt allow range time. But Im getting back in the saddle.

First few mags..... not too shabby. The first two aimed at the head, next aimed for bull and last I aimed for the 8.

Then something changed, either my grip or the way I was using the sights or maybe I was anticipating the recoil but I started shooting low and right.

I had a lot of fun at the range with this gun. It shoots way nicer than my XD. The trigger pull was great, the weight of the full size helps reduce recoil. I actually think that my Sub Compact 9 has more recoil than this thing. I dont know what took me so long to get into this platform.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    the 1911 will have less percived recoil because it has a much lower bore axis. Gotta love the 1911's!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Good choice, I've often said that if I were to look for a less costly 1911 it would be RIA Tactical, sometimes I want to buy one just to beat on it and see what it will take or be decent test bed for parts fitting etc.
    I think you should, you will be very surprised at what the ROCKS will handle. My compact went thru a dynamic course without any issues at all.

To the OP nice choice...Hope its brings you many years of good service.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I bought a used RIA 1911 from a member here as my first (and only) 1911. I've been thoroughly impressed with mine. It's a plain jane GI model. I think the RIAs make a great entry level weapon into this platform. Let us know what you think after a trip to the range. That's a nice looking firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Excellent choice for a first 1911

I certainly wouldn't pass up a RIA 1911

Then something changed, either my grip or the way I was using the sights or maybe I was anticipating the recoil but I started shooting low and right.
    This is usually the case, especially with right-handed shooters. Try some dry fire practice and that ought to help a lot.

Have fun!
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links