Defensive Carry banner

My first 1911

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
Hello All

I just purchased my first 1911 in the Rock Island Armory Bi-Tone Tactical flavor.

I have been shooting for quite a while and always wanted a 1911 but funds usually kept them out of my reach. Low and behold I visit the local shop and they had a few Rock Island's and the prices looked attractive but I was skeptical. After doing some research I decided to go ahead and give them a try. The ones in the display case were a bit scratched up but I liked them anyway and thought that if they had one in the back that was untouched I would do it.

They did and so I brough her home. :danceban:

Here she is......

All cleaned up

I am very excited to take it to the range to break it in. I am also happy that I have moved to the .45 caliber :D

Just thought I would share.
Shaun

See less See more
#20 ·
I think you should, you will be very surprised at what the ROCKS will handle. My compact went thru a dynamic course without any issues at all. :smile:

To the OP nice choice...Hope its brings you many years of good service.

#7 ·
Can't go wrong,I have a compact I got about 4 years ago,replaced a few things,mine didn't have an ambi-safety,shot great at SD ranges and eats everything I feed it,the trigger is better than my Colt XSE and it cost 3 times as much

#12 ·
Congrats, I got my first one back in December, I'm already plotting on how to add a lightweight commander to the fold.

#14 ·
Congratulations on your new 1911!!! I am really diggin' it!!!!

I too want to buy my first 1911 this year and I am looking at the Smith & Wesson 1911TA...what a beauty!!!

#17 ·
Nice choice, I have a compact tactical and its become my favorite handgun. Around 1400 rounds through it so far no malfunctions, I did replace the recoil spring with a #22 pound Wolff after 1000 rounds but I do that with any officer size 1911 just to insure reliability since I carry this one daily.

#18 ·
Here are some range pics. This is the first time firing a .45 and a 1911. This is definatley different than my XDSC-9 so it will take some practice to get to know her. It has been almost a year and a half since I have been to the range. The last few months of the wifes pregnancy and then the first year of taking care of my son didnt allow range time. But Im getting back in the saddle.

First few mags..... not too shabby. The first two aimed at the head, next aimed for bull and last I aimed for the 8.

Then something changed, either my grip or the way I was using the sights or maybe I was anticipating the recoil but I started shooting low and right.

I had a lot of fun at the range with this gun. It shoots way nicer than my XD. The trigger pull was great, the weight of the full size helps reduce recoil. I actually think that my Sub Compact 9 has more recoil than this thing. I dont know what took me so long to get into this platform.

#21 ·
I bought a used RIA 1911 from a member here as my first (and only) 1911. I've been thoroughly impressed with mine. It's a plain jane GI model. I think the RIAs make a great entry level weapon into this platform. Let us know what you think after a trip to the range. That's a nice looking firearm.

#22 ·
Excellent choice for a first 1911 :hand10:

I certainly wouldn't pass up a RIA 1911

Then something changed, either my grip or the way I was using the sights or maybe I was anticipating the recoil but I started shooting low and right.
This is usually the case, especially with right-handed shooters. Try some dry fire practice and that ought to help a lot.

Have fun! :tumbleweed:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.