Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting - Page 3

Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good question .... I've never had an issue of this type with mine. Interested , as you can put one together wrong.... which is what ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

Good question .... I've never had an issue of this type with mine. Interested , as you can put one together wrong.... which is what I think it was.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I too have never had that issue, it shoot low and left when I purchased it, I sent it in and had meprolite night sights placed on it..been flawless since.. going to take it out and shoot it this weekend and check it out again...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Confirmation of Pin Issue

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    This report is a bit difficult to swallow.

First off, here are ZERO reports of any such issue on the #1 Beretta online forum: Berettaforum.net If something like this was really happening, I would expect for there to be some sort of mention of it there. But there is Nada.

Secondly, the PX4 SC has been out for a number of years now. Why would such a dramatic problem suddenly crop up like this?

Third, I don't see how a part for the slide could affect such an issue.

Fourth, while the full size and compact PX4 pistols are manufactured in Italy, the subcompact PX4 pistols are manufactured in Beretta's USA factory in Accokeek, Maryland. The slide for this gun is not made in Italy.

Fifth, you cannot call the "repair shop" at Beretta. I sent one of my shotguns in for service once, and have first hand experience in dealing with them. When you call Beretta to check on matters like this, all you get is a customer service rep, who can then check on the status of your repair for you. They don't forward folks on the phone to the actual service repairmen.

Sixth, even if you could talk to a person doing repairs at Beretta USA, I cannot ever imagine a Beretta employee volunteering such information as was alleged here, that would make the company look bad. They would be fired for doing that. No reason at all for a tech to say anything like that.

Patriotjed: In conclusion, I would recommend that you have your friend Ted follow up on this, and post any follow-up information here regarding this matter. Posting information second hand like this can be very ineffective and confusing.

I've experience the exact same issue just this past weekend. There a tiny stainless retainer clip that slips into grooves; one groove for the open position and one groove for the closed position. The stainless clip looks like the end of a bent thin paper clip and is a poor way to hold in the pin. These grooves also appear to be cut in the wrong place as the 'open position' grove is very close to the end of the pin when the clip is in the closed position groove it doesn't allow the pin to seat correctly against the frame. When oiled this issue becomes even worse allowing the clip to slip completely off hence the pin comes out afetr a few shot and lauches the slide forward. Very poor design. The full size and compact Storms don't have this design. Awesome gun but the factory needs to resolve this issue. Anyone know of a recall?

Quote Originally Posted by nlghthawk View Post
    I bought my girl a PX4c and I don't troll the Barretta forum...so I am thankful to the original poster for this information. I will be sure to look into it more now. (intent of the post I am sure)

Thanks for sharing!
    The Px4 compact is a totally different takedown design than the subcompact. On the compact and full size the slide comes off by 2 permanently fixed spring loaded tabs on both sides of the slide in the front of the gun, while the subcompact has an actual pin you remove. You won't have a single issue like this with the compact, because if you tinker with it while taking it apart and putting it back together, you'll notice its pretty impossible for that to happen while firing when the takedown tabs are locked up.

I actually noticed how easy the takedown pin came out of the subcompact when I bought my compact. It never occurred to me that it could fall out while firing the subcompact, but makes sense. But once again, this cannot happen to the compact due to the design of the fixed, spring loaded takedown tabs.

PX4 Sub Compact Take down pin

I picked up my PX4 .40 SW on Monday and before I took it to the range, I disassembled to inspect prior to firing. I found the pin came out completely when I pulled. Note, I did not yank it out, just pulled like I do on my 92FS issue weapon. When re-assembled, the pin had little or no tension when locked back. When I charged it, the pin fell half way out, and if the weapon was canted to the left slide, it will fall out when I pull back the slide. I did not end up firing. and I'm having it checked and 'fixed'? before I do. I'll send it off in the am. I have carried my 92 to Afghanistan and Iraq 3 times, so when this new px4 didn't hold up, I was heartbroken. I'm hoping it's a quick fix, and will check back and I'll post when I get the results.
    vilecanards likes this.

I have the px4 sc (.40 cal.) also, and I can fully remove the takedown pin. I have not had it work itself loose while firing, after several hundred rounds. I did, however, have the slide shoot forward and off the rails when I reassembled the pistol after cleaning. I just figured i had put it back together "wrong", even though I have cleaned and reassembled this pistol at least ten times. I have not been able to duplicate that circumstance after several tries tonight, after reading this thread.

From the user manual:

Rotate the takedown lever approximately 90 degrees
    counterclockwise to disengage the retaining spring and allow
    the lever to be pulled from the frame. Keeping the lever in its
    90 degree position (see Fig. 12), continue pulling it outwards
    until a click is heard (at approximately 1/2 in /13 mm of
    protrusion). It is recommended that the lever be only partially
    pulled out and allowed to remain in the frame, rather than
    removing it completely (See Fig. 13)

I no longer have a retaining clip/spring keeping this pin from being removed from the frame... it must have broken off at some point. Is this a huge safety issue? It has never had a hiccup while at the range, other than the few FTF's/FTE's during the break-in period. While the slide is locked back, I AM able to completely remove the take-down pin. Don't quite know what to think about that!

Wink firing with takedown lever pin missing. px4 storm sc

I am no gunsmith, but per your question, you said you didn't have anything holding the takedown lever in place, Yes the weapon will fire, but if the pin comes out even part way,you may damage the weapon, yourself or the people around you. I HATE giving up my weapon for a couple weeks to be fixed, but a good company like Beretta has seen this problem before, and knows how to address it. I'll post the results when I get it back... I dropped it off for shipping an hour ago! Be safe.

In my case, the takedown lever pin itself is not loose when it is in place. It has never come out while firing the weapon or cycling the slide. I had to take deliberate actions to be able to remove it while the slide was locked back, and there was a pretty fair amount of tension to overcome. Had I not read this thread, I wouldn't have thought to even try to do this. It still doesn't seem right, though.
    sargenttd likes this.

Well, crap. This makes me reconsider things... I have a full size PX4 storm 9mm that is my absolute favorite (and the CX4 to match!), and I was thinking about getting the PX4 subcompact to compliment it and stay with similar controls. Should I be thinking twice about the SC model given these issues?

I have the CX4 in the 9mm, and a 92, No Problems. The PX4 SC has a different procedure with you take it apart. It tells you in the manual that you should Not pull the take down lever completely out. There is a small spring that catches it when its about 90% out, so taken apart, the take down lever is still in the weapon, sticking out, which is not a problem, BUT... because the controls and features look and are the same as the other weapons,,,,, Many of use took it apart and pulled the lever fully out. This is not difficult to do, but it you had never taken apart a Beretta, you might take you time and be gentle. Like many other, I took the PX4SC apart just like the other versions, pulled the rotated and pull the lever/pin out with a quick pull, and the spring could not catch the slot cut into the lever, the tension was then released on the spring, then the weapon is apart,,,, and I really didn't notice something out of place that I had never seen before. So, not the best design, but I was a ******* too. I'm still waiting on it. perhaps another week or so!?!?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links