Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wanted to post regarding an issue that a friend of mine (Ted) has experienced with his Beretta PX4 Storm sub-compact 9mm. Last week we went ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

Beretta PX4sc slide came off while shooting

Wanted to post regarding an issue that a friend of mine (Ted) has experienced with his Beretta PX4 Storm sub-compact 9mm.

Last week we went to the range to get some practice in. Ted brought his PX4sc to shoot for the 2nd time since purchasing 3 weeks ago. The first time out with the PX4sc, he put 100 rounds WWB through it with no issues. About 30 rounds in on this day, the fun started.

Ted loaded a fresh magazine and popped off 3 shots. When the slide came back forward to load bullet #4, the entire slide came completely OFF the frame. The slide fell to the floor and bounced around. Understand that there was a bullet in the chamber when this happened. We determined that the takedown pin had come completely out of the frame after shot #3.

After reassembling the pistol and clearing the bullet from the chamber, Ted put the pistol up for the day. Ted took the pistol apart that night to clean and inspect it, upon which he discovered that the takedown pin would come out without being rotated the required 90 degrees. He called Beretta the next day and they sent UPS to pick up the gun and ship to the authorized repair shop.

Ted called the repair shop today and they told him that his was one of 22 PX4sc's currently in the shop for the same issue. They have
    contacted Italy and have new slide parts coming in to address this issue. This is apparently not an isolated incident.

Long story short, this is not a bash on Beretta. I wanted to get this info out in case there are other PX4sc owners here who may have the same issues. I will post an update once the gun is returned to Ted and he test fires it.
    Jed

II Chronicles 7:14

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    That's kinda scary.

Quote Originally Posted by patriotjed View Post
    Wanted to post regarding an issue that a friend of mine (Ted) has experienced with his Beretta PX4 Storm sub-compact 9mm.

Last week we went to the range to get some practice in. Ted brought his PX4sc to shoot for the 2nd time since purchasing 3 weeks ago. The first time out with the PX4sc, he put 100 rounds WWB through it with no issues. About 30 rounds in on this day, the fun started.

Ted loaded a fresh magazine and popped off 3 shots. When the slide came back forward to load bullet #4, the entire slide came completely OFF the frame. The slide fell to the floor and bounced around. Understand that there was a bullet in the chamber when this happened. We determined that the takedown pin had come completely out of the frame after shot #3.

After reassembling the pistol and clearing the bullet from the chamber, Ted put the pistol up for the day. Ted took the pistol apart that night to clean and inspect it, upon which he discovered that the takedown pin would come out without being rotated the required 90 degrees. He called Beretta the next day and they sent UPS to pick up the gun and ship to the authorized repair shop.

Ted called the repair shop today and they told him that his was one of 22 PX4sc's currently in the shop for the same issue. They have
    contacted Italy and have new slide parts coming in to address this issue. This is apparently not an isolated incident.

Long story short, this is not a bash on Beretta. I wanted to get this info out in case there are other PX4sc owners here who may have the same issues. I will post an update once the gun is returned to Ted and he test fires it.
    At least they have the slide coming off the FRONT end now, much less painful for the shooter!
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    This report is a bit difficult to swallow.

First off, here are ZERO reports of any such issue on the #1 Beretta online forum: Berettaforum.net If something like this was really happening, I would expect for there to be some sort of mention of it there. But there is Nada.

Secondly, the PX4 SC has been out for a number of years now. Why would such a dramatic problem suddenly crop up like this?

Third, I don't see how a part for the slide could affect such an issue.

Fourth, while the full size and compact PX4 pistols are manufactured in Italy, the subcompact PX4 pistols are manufactured in Beretta's USA factory in Accokeek, Maryland. The slide for this gun is not made in Italy.

Fifth, you cannot call the "repair shop" at Beretta. I sent one of my shotguns in for service once, and have first hand experience in dealing with them. When you call Beretta to check on matters like this, all you get is a customer service rep, who can then check on the status of your repair for you. They don't forward folks on the phone to the actual service repairmen.

Sixth, even if you could talk to a person doing repairs at Beretta USA, I cannot ever imagine a Beretta employee volunteering such information as was alleged here, that would make the company look bad. They would be fired for doing that. No reason at all for a tech to say anything like that.

Patriotjed: In conclusion, I would recommend that you have your friend Ted follow up on this, and post any follow-up information here regarding this matter. Posting information second hand like this can be very ineffective and confusing.

Lance, I understand your concerns and I will address them.

1. I know there are zero reports. I searched that forum after this happened to see if there was an easy fix, user error, etc. I found nothing, which was why Ted contacted Beretta by phone.

2. I have no idea why this issue would crop up now. Not uncommon to have a bad batch of parts, or something slip through QC.

3. It looked to me as if the grooves in the takedown pin were not deep enough to hang onto the spring pin. I don't know what the resolution will be, but will post the repair results when the gun comes back.

4. I never said the gun was made in Italy or the parts were coming from Italy. The repair shop is working with Beretta to get the parts and were the ones who said Italy.

5. Ted didn't call the repair shop at Beretta. Ted called Beretta initially when the problem arose. Beretta sent UPS with a shipping label to pick up the gun. The gun was sent to a gun shop in Alabama per Beretta's instructions. That gun shop called Ted when the gun arrived. Ted contacted the gun shop today to check the status, and was given the details that I initially posted.

6. Beretta is not doing the repairs. They had the gun shipped to a gun shop in Alabama.

7. I have been a first hand witness to all of these calls and was standing right there when the gun fell apart. I was the one who put the slide back on the gun and cleared the chambered round. I am posting this because Ted doesn't visit the gun forums or post on them. I am not a member at Berettaforum.net, so I have not posted there either. If that is unacceptable, then I would ask that a moderator delete this thread.

Again, my intent is not to falsify information, bash a company, or confuse anyone. I am just trying to pass along information that could be useful to someone.
    Jed

Well, it's good to know.... any time something is occurring and let people check or make up their own minds.

I know with Beretta's, anyone needs to make "sure" it slides on and assembles correctly..... and I always test mine with snap caps. Otherwise, you can get interesting results if it's not correct.... and you may not know it's incorrect without testing it or firing it.

I had one problem on a gun shooting without the bullet being fully chambered, and Ruger told me "that's impossible". So, I sent pic's, then they wanted to see the gun, etc..... and they went over the gun and checked it out. There response... "we don't know why it did it". I haven't bought anymore semi - Rugers. IN fact, that's when I went to Beretta guns.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by patriotjed View Post
    I am posting this because Ted doesn't visit the gun forums or post on them. I am not a member at Berettaforum.net, so I have not posted there either. If that is unacceptable, then I would ask that a moderator delete this thread.

Again, my intent is not to falsify information, bash a company, or confuse anyone. I am just trying to pass along information that could be useful to someone.

But if that is indeed the case, then why did you post nothing on Berettaforum.net, where all of the Beretta owners hang out at? If you really wanted to get the word out to Beretta owners as you have repeatedly stated, that would clearly be the most appropriate place to post

This post just comes across as being rather odd, in light of the fact that you are brand new here. That alone, gives an appearance of there being an agenda, even if you don't really have one.

I do concede that you may very well be telling the truth here. No way for anyone to know for sure or not. But whenever I hear someone saying something negative about any gun, I always take the comments with a grain of salt or two. Since you are not the actual owner of the gun in question, and are brand new to the forum here, then I have to add some extra salt.

I didn't post on berettaforums because I'm not a member there. I am a member here.

When the parts arrive and the gun is returned, I will post the outcome.
    Jed

Today's update: The gun has returned from the repair shop.

The repair ticket states that the takedown pin was refitted. Ted attempted to remove the takedown pin without rotating it 90 degrees and it would not budge. That's a good sign. Ted removed the pin properly for inspection. The grooves are cut wider and much deeper into the pin now.

Here are pictures of the new pin and repair slip. Tomorrow we are planning to go put some rounds down range, and I'll report again after that.

Jed

Ok, now I believe your story.

You really are being negligent in not posting it on the Beretta Forum, however. If you really wanted to get the word out to Beretta PX4 Subcompact owners, that is the place for you to post this info.

So that part of my earlier remarks still stand, but I naturally take back all of my earlier scepticism about the story itself.

Why "The Spanish Inquisition?" Are we required to show proof before we post now? If you don't believe the guy's post, no reason to heckle a new poster...just ignore it. His post wasn't inflamatory, just informative.

Seems he proved his story with his pics...too bad be felt the need to prove it.

Sorry you got the bright light and rubber hose treatment jed. Welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around and continue posting.
    BurgerBoy, sid1 and Fisher10 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well, but he was a new member, and his first contribution here is to make allegations about quality problems with a handgun.

Whenever anyone makes allegations against any brand or make of gun, one should always have some scepticism. I certainly do. I require more than just words for me to accept something as being fact. The fact that the gun was not even his, and this was his first post in the forum certainly raised my scepticism level higher than it already normally is.

On the other hand, one can go the opposite extreme, and believe everything that you see written on the Internet without any equivocation at all.

I, however, tend to be a sceptic in these matters. I'm glad that he was able to produce these photos, and document the issue.

If it had been a Taurus, he would have been heralded as a hero and not doubted for a second.

When I am sceptical about posts, I tend to ignore them. That's just my approach...YMMV.

I just felt bad for the new poster...I like to encourage productive participation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Just got back from the range. Ted shot 200 rounds through the gun with no issues. All seems to be well with the gun. Kudos to Mark's Outdoor Sports for the fix, quick turnaround, and very good communication.

No harm, no foul on the "interrogation". I don't mind defending myself when I know I'm right, and I completely understand the whole "troll" scenario. I promise that I am not a troll, even if I resemble one most mornings. HA! And, thanks for the welcome BugDude.

And it's funny that Taurus was mentioned, as I happen to own a PT140 MilPro that has a 100% track record. But that's not relevant to this thread.
    Jed

I had a similar issue today when shooting my .40 PX4 SC today for the 1st time. after a few (3 maybe 4) shots the take down pin slipped out just a bit (enough that the next time I squeezed the trigger it would not fire) I would push in on it to feel it click into place and it would be fine for the rest of the mag. I am calling Beretta 1st thing Monday hopefully its a quick and painless process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links