Unsafe Ammo Temps?

Unsafe Ammo Temps?

This is a discussion on Unsafe Ammo Temps? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading that the DoD is planning to implement using thermal stickers on cases of ammo that turn black to red when the ammo ...

Unsafe Ammo Temps?

I was reading that the DoD is planning to implement using thermal stickers on cases of ammo that turn black to red when the ammo has been stored in unsafe temperatures. I did not know that there was a such a thing as an unsafe temperature for ammo. From experience, I know it get hella hot in some middle eastern countries and if there is an unsafe temperature, those places gets that hot. The article did not say how hot is unsafe. I would have assumed that until it is so hot that the ammo cooks off any temperature is safe.

Anyway, does that make sense? Is there an unsafe temperature for ammo, or is it a "just to be safe" thing?
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but Humidity is a killer of ammo not temp.

I'm with HK I don't think temps in the low to mid 100's kills ammo,but High heat +humidity can cause problems,the first being corrosion,and if the powder gets wet you got a problem
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

i worked for many years in the middle east as an EOD and ammo tech. i saw many cases where ammo stored at elevated temperatures was degraded. Small arms ammunition was not seriously damaged by prolonged storage at temperatures exceeding 120 degrees. Some of the magazines in countries where i worked were not properly ventilated: Temperatures often exceeded 140 degrees for prolonged periods.

Other types of ammunition including mortar rounds, some HE grenades and artillery propellant were effected to a serious degree. TNT loaded artillery and mortar rounds exude filler when stored at elevated temperatures. Exudation of the filler can leave voids in the explosive charge, leading a premature detonation when the round is fired. Tetrytol is used as a burster explosive in some WP artillery ammo. It becomes desensitized and sometimes exudes at elevated temperatures.

i will add this, years ago my house burnt down, the ammo that was in the house had no "visable" defects, show i shot it (not sayin that was smart) and it all worked fine, mostly SKS rounds

HIGH temps will cause powder to degrade, also if the round is shot when that hot, it can cause a PSI increase and depending on that round, that "could" be dangerous...

What about cold temps? The reason I ask is I got a deal ( meaning free) on an absolutely HUGE safe. It came from Dunbar Security. it was one of those, "if you can move it you can have it" kind of deal. Well, there is no way to get it in my house so it is in my detached unheated garage and it not unusual to see ambient temps down to -20 sometimes at my house. I have all my firearms in this safe along with all my ammo. Humidity usually isn't an issue in my area thankfully.

cold wont hurt it

Links