Glock G26 Accuracy Problems

This is a discussion on Glock G26 Accuracy Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went the range today and ran a box of WWB ammo through a Glock 26. Gun ran flawlessly and quiet comfortable to shoot. However my ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RoadRunner71

Thread: Glock G26 Accuracy Problems

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Glock G26 Accuracy Problems

Went the range today and ran a box of WWB ammo through a Glock 26. Gun ran flawlessly and quiet comfortable to shoot. However my aim is way, way off. While I should have taken a picture of of the target, I forgot to. I did attatch as drawing depicting my inability to hit the target.

bad shot.jpg

If I aim to the center of the target, I am hitting way low. If I aim to upper region of the target, I am about where I should be. These shots were taken at about 30 feet.
    While it looks like I am pulling down on the pistol, I am not. Nor was I shoting rapidly. Actually, about 2-3 seconds between shots. There was a lot of wind but from a direction that would not have had any significant effect.

I looked at some charts but I am not doing anything that suposedly causes this pattern.

In summary, if I were aiming at COM, I would have been hitting the stomach area. Aiming at the throat would have got me at COM, roughly.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Diddle; April 2nd, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

you may need a higher rear sight installed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My money says you pulling the muzzle down as you pull the trigger. When it happens to me, I know I'm doing it.

Aim your (empty) pistol at something on the wall and pull the trigger. I bet you'll see the front sight dip as the trigger breaks.

Practice; you'll get over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with Old Vet. We call it "dipping", which is a symptom of shot anticipation. Try it again, and when the gun fires it should be a suprise.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well I am going back tomorrow. I refuse to accept defeat. I am going to take an observer to watch me and see exactally what I do. I do know its ME not the pistol. This is not a dificult pistol to shoot. Forgive me if I sound agravated, it is my own fault. I am good with most any revolver at this same locaton. I can't see what I am doing, O;dVet, so with and observer I will be better off. I am not going to disregard, dukalmighty's sugestion either.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    From just what you have said I would tend to agree with the others so far. More information may prove enlightening.

Try this. On your next trip, have your observer load a magazine, mixing in one or two snap caps. If you are anticipating, you'll know it right away.

Also, don't forget your follow through. Ride through the entire shooting cycle until you are fully back on target with your sights before looking at your impact. I have seen it many times where the shooter fires, neglects to follow through, and immediately lowers the gun to "see where I hit". From what you describe, it probably isn't this, but you never know.

Good luck!
    semperfi.45 and Top Strap like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

If your having problems with it, it's always a good idea to let someone shoot your gun; as long as that person is a solid shot. Can't tell you how many times I've had shooters with sighting problems and it wound up that their rear sight was drifted over.

If you're in the center line of the target then I would say your pushing the gun forward causing it to dip. Put sights on target, then take up the slack in the trigger. If sights are still on concentrate on squeezing the trigger to the rear.

Snap Caps / dummy rounds will school you real quick; great advice. Good prior advice on follow through for every shot, it's crucial to running a gun.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Try aiming at 6 o'clock on the bull. It will give you a better reference than the center of the bullseye.
    Semper Fi

Here is my secound outing with the G26. Towards the end of the session things began to tighten up. I was shooting 5 shots, reload, shoot 5 shots etc. There is a total of 48 rounds shot. My distence to target was 30 feet. And sadly the wind was blowing from my left to right at 20+ MPH gusting to 30MPH.

2011-04-08_15-17-57_1 (2).jpg

The wind and rain sort of took it toll on me and the paper but you can get an idea of what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again for all of your patience and leadership.

D~

Administrator
    You should probably invest in a Gripmaster MEDIUM. Search Ebay for one. They are quite inexpensive. Build up your hand and finger strength.
    That will help a bunch with your trigger control and that always helps to tighten things up on your target.
    Also...try gripping your pistol harder.
    Shooting at a distance of 30' you're sort of all over the place.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hey Glockman 10mm, don't look behind you!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Even a Glock should keep all the shots in the 8 ring at that distance.

Two things you should try, first a lot of dry firing. Make sure the gun is unloaded and point at a small object like door knob with no one behind it SAEFTY is paramount. Dry fire on it till you can hold on it all the way through the cycle of the firing pin with little to no movement.

After you can do this with regularity go to the range with someone that can load the gun with competence, have them load one round in the gun at a time, at their discretion (without you knowing) handing you an empty chambered gun. If you flinch you will see it.

As you do this you should see some improvement even early on in this exercise.

When you learn to shoot without flinching your groups will tighten.

Concentrate on the trigger control it won’t take long you should see vast improvement.

All you need to do is practice the basics and put them together. Trigger control, sight alignment, and sight picture. You are on the right track. I agree with all suggestions above. Heres a secret; dont be too hard on yourself and have fun. If that target was the BG, he would be dead.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links