1911 Question - Mainspring Housing Styles - Whiich and why?

1911 Question - Mainspring Housing Styles - Whiich and why?

This is a discussion on 1911 Question - Mainspring Housing Styles - Whiich and why? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't post often, but I do lurk quite a bit. However, I've finally got a question for which I've been unable to find an ...

View Poll Results: What Style MSH (either bobbed or not,) and Why?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Checkered

10 62.50%
  • Snakeskin

0 0%
  • Chain-link

4 25.00%
  • Smooth

1 6.25%
  • Other

1 6.25%

Thread: 1911 Question - Mainspring Housing Styles - Whiich and why?

Question 1911 Question - Mainspring Housing Styles - Whiich and why?

I don't post often, but I do lurk quite a bit. However, I've finally got a question for which I've been unable to find an answer. I spent a while searching around the forum and on Google, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but that may be a personal failing. Either way, allow me to get to the meat and potatoes.

I love 1911's. It was a love affair that began when I was but a wee lad and shot my father's 1911, which was his father's 1911... Well, I've got my own now -a stainless Springfield Champion. Been enjoying it for a few years and since I've found some nice holsters (a Kholster and a PK Black Ops Pro,) it makes a wonderful carry piece, but I find the butt prints a bit too much for my liking. Before I picked this up (for a song I might add,) I had fondled a DW CBOB. That bob-tail was something else. I've been wanting, ever since then, to bob mine. A local gunsmith will do it for me - I just need to supply the mainspring housing of my choice... This is where your valued opinions will come in!

For those of you that carry your 1911, bobbed or not, what is your favorite style of mainspring housing? Checkered, snakeskin, chain-link, smooth... other, and why?

I'm wanting a MSH with a good bit of 'bite,' but not enough to snag or chew up my shirts. Snakeskin MSH's look cool, but will they provide me more grip?

All I know is that my Springfield has a MSH with vertical lines that doesn't offer the kind of grip I want.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for your responses!

Most of it is an appearance thing. Is the front strap on your gun been checkered,etc. My CBOB has a smooth MSH and the front strap is checkered-I still use some Davidson grips to help" hang" on to the gun. Sometimes when you have front and rear checkering , you can go with "smooth" grips. Basically, it's a personal preference.

Normally "mainspring housing style" refers to the shape of the mainspring housing, either flat or arched. But, to your question of surface texture, I prefer arched checkered mainspring housings and smooth front straps.JMO
    Last edited by jwarren; April 4th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

I prefer an arched main spring housing. None of my guns have checkering. The back strap and main spring housings have straight lines. Does your Springfield have a straight housing? If so try an arched housing. It is cheaper than a bob job. Also a good belt and a quality holster that holds the gun tight to your body will prevent printing.
    Semper Fi

Administrator
    Checkered. While yer at it....have your gunsmith add a Titanium mainspring cap & a Titanium hammer strut.
    Not expensive parts and they quicken up your lock time a bit and add a small amount of oomph to your firing pin strike.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for all the responses! This is the kind of feedback I wanted.
    To answer some questions: The housing is straight, the front strap is smooth.

stumpjumper: That would have been another question I forgot to ask! Grips. Thank you.

jwarren: Ah yes. The true question - using more proper nomenclature. Teach me to post right before I go to bed!

BkCo1: The holsters I've got rock my socks! ...The belt thing is something I'm working on. I've been using a Blackhawk Rigger's belt and it's alright, but not ideal. I'm looking at A&G and the Beltman primarily as far as true "gun belts" go, but I'm always open to suggestions.

QKShooter: I'll definitely look into those parts. Any specific brands/sites you recommend? (I haven't done any looking yet, so I'm not sure who might make them.)

Administrator
    (I haven't done any looking yet, so I'm not sure who might make them.)

Evolution Gun Works.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Just wanted to drop in and say "Thanks!" to everyone that answered and gave an opinion. I'll be back, with pictures!

I prefer an arched MSH. I have pretty good sized paws, and the arched takes up space in my palm. I don't care for scallops, as when the hand gets a bit sweaty/wet they become a bit useless.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka View Post
    I prefer an arched MSH. I have pretty good sized paws, and the arched takes up space in my palm. I don't care for scallops, as when the hand gets a bit sweaty/wet they become a bit useless.
    Welcome aboard, Steve.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    If you're tending to hit a bit low on target the arched style mainspring housing will raise your POI.

Sponsored Links