A look at the Kimber Solo

This is a discussion on A look at the Kimber Solo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They are both in the $750 range Kimber Solo Sig P232 Rohrbaugh P9 Kimber has a great reputation. I wonder if anyone has any information ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rollo

Thread: A look at the Kimber Solo

A look at the Kimber Solo

They are both in the $750 range

Kimber Solo

Sig P232

Rohrbaugh P9

Kimber has a great reputation. I wonder if anyone has any information on the Kimber Solo dependability?

The Rohrbaugh is beautiful but $1250 is too pricy.

2. Remove Ads

Kimber so/so on reliability and that damn pesky external safety.

I think the SIg P232 is a .380 acp, no thanks.

Rohrbaugh P9, $1250.00, yowza no way.

GLOCK 26 $550.00 no questions asked reliability and durability.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Kimber has a great reputation.
    JOHNSMITH and azchevy like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Kimber Solo is still unavailable, so there isn't any real consensus on it... but from the few reviews I've read, it seems fairly positive, except for those using 115 gr rounds (Kimber specifically says to use only 124 gr and up, so I chalk that up to user error). Hopefully the Solo is more reliable than Kimber's general image makes them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The Kimber Solo is still unavailable, so there isn't any real consensus on it... but from the few reviews I've read, it seems fairly positive, except for those using 115 gr rounds (Kimber specifically says to use only 124 gr and up, so I chalk that up to user error). Hopefully the Solo is more reliable than Kimber's general image makes them out to be.
    Wow really, they recommend 124 gr. Gee they must think no one needs any practice. Sounds like someone wasn't thinking...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

The Kimber Solo is still new...give it a good year to filter into the market and get the bugs out.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Sig Sauer p232 has been an unreliable piece of junk ...... I can't wait to tade it in on a Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Yes the fairly positive reviews are why i bought my Solo and now that it has come back from the factory for the second time and the first time they replaced the slide & barrel after i had fired 50rds, Then I used the same ammo 124gr & 147gr hornady and the slide hung up so i lube the slide and the firing pin broke after firing 5 rds of 147gr, so for the second time returned to Kimber and after 3 weeks they sent it back after replacing the slide again firing pin and all springs and with a note that i should replace springs from 500rds to 1000rds, So after i received back from factory the second time i cleaned and lubed again and fired 50rds of 124gr nato winchester ranger with no problems, one week later i went to the range again and fired another 50rd's with the 124gr ranger with nor problems and so i thought since so many had bragged about and written about they had fired everything and there brother with no problems and over 500 to 1000rds that i would try some 115gr hornady cr defense and fte on next five, and what i'm saying is it fired the first round but would not cycle the other rounds i had to do it manually which in a gun would not be a good thing, so put one more mag in with 124gr and it never missed a beat but what worried me was shells were flying every which a way and the range master said after firing it and watching me fire it said get rid of as fast as you can. So even though the dealers are not allowed to sell the Solo's they have in stock and there not shipping anymore until possibly 2012, I've had mine for sale here in Texas and no one want's it. I'm sure i'll sell it one day, But i'm keeping my kahr PM9 because it fire's all 9mm ammo i feed it and my Glock 19 & M&P 9 fire's anything they are fed.

VIP Member
    I like to wait a year or two to let the test pilots auger in. So far, I've no complaints with my R9, and I doubt that anyone will make a better double strike DA trigger.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My personal pocket 9 journey has to come to an end. I purchased a Kahr CM9 a couple of weeks ago. I'm up to 153 rounds now. Beautiful. Not a single malfunction so far (knock on wood). Quality is outstanding. While I don't have much experience with DA triggers, I definitely am really loving the trigger on my CM9. Very, very smooth.

Now I have to sell my Diamondback 380.

In retrospect, me being unable to purchase a Solo was probably a fortunate turn of events. I do believe the Solo being unable to handle 115 gr is rather silly, however. While there is 124 gr practice ammo out there, you usually have to go online to get some. Most of the stuff out there is 115 gr.

Links