So I am getting a Yugo SKS

This is a discussion on So I am getting a Yugo SKS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, so I gave in and went and go the process going for a Yugo SKS. I will be picking it up in less then ...

Thread: So I am getting a Yugo SKS

So I am getting a Yugo SKS

OK, so I gave in and went and go the process going for a Yugo SKS. I will be picking it up in less then 10 days now.
    Anyways since it's surplus stock, I want to know what I should pay attention to when I take it home? First of all I know that I will have to take it all appart and clean that sticky crap of it (I keep forgetting what it's called) and then probably sand it down and put some varnish on it (I got some really good varnish that I used on my floors: it takes about 2 weeks to completely cure but it's really really hard and durable after that).

So.... when I have all the pieces of, what next? Anything that should be changed out at that time? Examined? I have taken rifles appart before, but never with fixing/repair in mind.

Also if anyone has any links to writeups or anything like that that specifically deal with SKS that'd be great.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Huzar - I think if you do some searches for SKS and even AK - you'll find several sites which give good info. I'll add a link later if I can find one I have in mind.

Cosmoline is your prime headache! Many folks deal with the wood impregnation by heating the furniture to ''pull'' out the stuff - in fact a hot sunny day can help - lay all wood on layers of newspaper and periodically wipe down with rag - eventually you should have most of it out.

All the mechanics - do a clean with kero', mineral spirits - even in fact WD40 helps soften that darend stuff - and of course attention to bore and chamber to make scupulously clean.

All original parts should be fine to start with - but again - you should find some info on the web to help later on with some potentially useful tweaks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some links to start you off -

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

http://www.simonov.net/

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/board3/

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl01-e.htm
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Some good places to look

Here are a couple of great sites. Both are truly excellent sources of information on the SKS. SurplusRifle.com has tons of info on stripping down the SKS and cleaning it.

www.sksboards.com

www.surplusrifle.com

But, here's some pointers.

Make sure you clean out all the cosmoline. Don't even think of firing it until you do so. One of the most important things to do is clean out the firing pin channel in the bolt. The firing pin can be gummed in place leading to slam fires.

Go buy yourself a good quality set of punches to pop out the friing pin retainer on the bolt. You will swear like everyone before you that it is impossible to remove, but all it needs is a quality punch, a solid surface (not wood, I used a couple of bricks) a 5 pound hammer and a good swing.

Get on ebay or gunbroker and get yourself some stripper clips. fastest way to load the SKS and IMHO quicker and better than the dubious after market mags.

You can get all this stuff while you are waiting the 10 days.

Also, the Yugo has a lot of 922(r) parts which are tough to remove, like the grenade launcher and bayonet lug which means if you want to change the gun in any way, such as adding a detachable mag, you will need to replace or remove a load of parts to stay legal. Crazy, but thats the law. I recommend you don't change it. If you want that sort of gun, buy an AK.

It's a whole lot of fun to shoot. I really like mine and have made no changes to it.

Aaah, California

Sorry, I didn't notice before that you are in California. So an AK is probably not an option. Your SKS will also most likely not have the grenade launcher.

Still, it makes it no less fun to shoot!! Get the stripper clips and start hunting around for 7.62x39 ammo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman
    Here are a couple of great sites. Both are truly excellent sources of information on the SKS. SurplusRifle.com has tons of info on stripping down the SKS and cleaning it.

www.sksboards.com

www.surplusrifle.com
    Cool, thanks!
    Go buy yourself a good quality set of punches to pop out the friing pin retainer on the bolt. You will swear like everyone before you that it is impossible to remove, but all it needs is a quality punch, a solid surface (not wood, I used a couple of bricks) a 5 pound hammer and a good swing.
    I got a jeep... my workshop is WELL stocked with quality tools :)

Get on ebay or gunbroker and get yourself some stripper clips. fastest way to load the SKS and IMHO quicker and better than the dubious after market mags.
    Yeah, I've been looking at those.
    Also, the Yugo has a lot of 922(r) parts which are tough to remove, like the grenade launcher and bayonet lug which means if you want to change the gun in any way, such as adding a detachable mag, you will need to replace or remove a load of parts to stay legal. Crazy, but thats the law. I recommend you don't change it. If you want that sort of gun, buy an AK.
    I'm in CA... nothing is legal ;) They even remove the grenade launcher and tack weld this tacky piece of metal in it's place. I might have to do something about that (might replace it with something different and still tack it in place so that noone can go after me for legality

You can get stripper clips off of cheaperthandirt.com. I don't know if they are cheaper there or on ebay.

+ 1 on cheaper than dirt. At least you know what you will be getting. Birchwood&Casey's GunScrubber willl help a lot with getting the cosmoline out of the hard to reach spaces.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat
    + 1 on cheaper than dirt. At least you know what you will be getting. Birchwood&Casey's GunScrubber willl help a lot with getting the cosmoline out of the hard to reach spaces.
    Friend of mine told me that he sprayed the wooden stock with oven cleaner and let it penetrate.

Oven cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar
    Friend of mine told me that he sprayed the wooden stock with oven cleaner and let it penetrate.
    Did oven cleaner on mine. Came out pretty good. Didn't let it sit for long though. Apparently the best thing is heat. Look on www.surplusrifle.com for the 'cosmoline oven' article, built out of a trashcan and light bulbs. Might not be worth the hassle for one rifle, but worth a look.

Anyway, oven cleaner worked for me. The metal parts I put in the oven at 170 degrees in one of those disposable foil trays.

Some even just put the stock in the dishwasher. If you do that though, don' t run it through the dry cycle!

Oh, and an excellent tip from the other guys regarding cheaperthandirt. You can get a whole load of accessories real cheap there.

Links