Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by onetuza I have a PF-9 which I like except for the minuscule room for your trigger finger. It looks like Ruger got ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by onetuza View Post
    I have a PF-9 which I like except for the minuscule room for your trigger finger. It looks like Ruger got that part right. Does Ruger make a pinky extension? If so, I might just have to switch one day. ( I modified a Pierce extension meant for a Kahr PM9 for mine.)
    It comes stock with one, I removed it and put the flat base plate on, I would rather have more concealability.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I'll stick with the original, but thanks for the review.
    The Thinnest/lightest 9mm on the market, Kel Tec PF9. George Kellgren, is the JMB of our time. He continues to design the most innovating firearms of this era, and ruger continues to reverse engineer them. I'm still waiting for the premier of ruger's 14+1 dual tube 12 gauge shotgun.

Like I said, I'll stick with the original. Thank you.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Keltec compared to jmb. Wow now I have read it all
    Last edited by azchevy; April 8th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Keltec compared it jmb. Wow now I have read it all

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    The Thinnest/lightest 9mm on the market, Kel Tec PF9. George Kellgren, is the JMB of our time. He continues to design the most innovating firearms of this era, and ruger continues to reverse engineer them. I'm still waiting for the premier of ruger's 14+1 dual tube 12 gauge shotgun.

Like I said, I'll stick with the original. Thank you.

I do not need another gun and I am not in the market for another gun. When/if Ruger makes it in a 40 I will get one.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Keltec compared it jmb. Wow now I have read it all
    Kellgren has done a lot more then just Keltec. He's experimented, and pushed things. Now there have been teething problems...like the Grendel p-12 of his last company...meanest little pistol ever I would rather fire 20 rounds of over factor load S&W500 then another shot with the Grendel.....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The pf9 like most firearms today is a locked breech. Nothing new or groundbreaking there many manufacturers have made compact single stacks in the past nothing new there. Many have introduced polymer. Nothing new there. Bottom line is keltec makes a cheap weapon and you either get a good one or a bad one. Many have gotten bad ones. I got lucky and got a good one. The one thing that keltec has going for it over other manufacturers like Taurus who put out cheap hit or miss weapons is the fact they have great customer service. Feel free to start your own detailed review threads to include video on your keltecs. I have a few up. I am eager to read them instead of reading about your defense of a weapon against another you don't even own let alone have experience with.

I will also note that I was all about the Keltec due to my liking the p3at hands over fist over the lcp, until i got my hands on one and shot it, now that I have shot the Ruger I will never look back. But to compare someone who ripped off the Gustav M/45 for his most famous design then utilized the browning tilting barrel system in the rest of his polymer pistols (which was started by H&K with the vp70 and made famous by Glock with the model 17 ) to a man who actually revolutionized firearms with his own independent thinking is just ridiculous.

The pf9 like most firearms today is a locked breech. Nothing new or groundbreaking there many manufacturers have made compact single stacks in the past nothing new there. Many have introduced polymer. Nothing new there. Bottom line is keltec makes a cheap weapon and you either get a good one or a bad one...
    Kel Tec introduced the lightest smallest 9mm, the P11(smallest at the time, due to the clinton ban it was sold with the 10rnd mag, but 12rnd mags were aval for LE) with a 12+1 capacity. Nothing new or innovative there. They also introduced the smallest/lightest 40SW, the P40 (9+1) but discontinued because most shooters couldn't shoot it. Again, nothing innovative there either. The P32 again lightest, later the P3AT which is still the lightest/smallest .380. Add the RFB which is loosely based on another rifle, but mostly the ejection system and not so much the firing system or overall design. The KSG, again a loose copy of a great idea that never really took. Everything KT has done has been groundbreaking. Think about it.

Ruger recently seems to appreciate KT design. :) HUH

I've fired my friends LCP, which fires every time you pull the trigger but, the grip is fatter and has a lot more movement in the hand than my old P3AT # 0013X... again "I'll stick with the original" (like I stated originally)

Have a good day.

My beautiful girlfriend read this thread and reminded me that I'm not 25 anymore, and it reminded her of of a kid arguing who hit who first playing with air soft rifles. That said; this will be my last post on this thread.

Thanks for the review!
    I was considering the Taurus 709 Slim in 9mm, but when I saw the Ruger LC9, I was curious to see a review of the handgun.
    Yes, I realize you didn't compare them head-to-head, but I appreciate your pics and thoughts.
    I'm a manual safety kinda guy, so that is a definite 'advantage' to me!
    I thnk I'm going to shift gears and go after the Ruger!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

LC9 vs PF9

I own both the LC9 and the PF9. They are great pistols. The only notable worthwhile difference is that the Ruger has a somewhat more refined and cleaned up appearance. But, that said, I would grab either on in a emergency. However, my EDC piece is a Glock 26. Why? It will accept any and all Glock 9mm magazines from 10 rds to 33 rds. Plus, every time I pull the Glock's trigger, it goes 'BANG'. That's just my two cents worth. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't like rip-off artists. Heck, Ruger took a perfectly fine design (p3at) and couldn't even get it to function right (recall!). {Besides the fact the LCP is externally larger, somewhat defeating the purpose}

I don't need a "nicer looking" weapon. I need a weapon that functions. Putting a manual safety on, is just installing another thing to fail or get in the way in an emergency situation.

That said-I've had excellent luck with Keltec. The only Ruger semi-autos I've shot were VERY well maintained, and couldn't seem to function right. I'll stick to the original!

I can't speak for the pf-9 trigger, but if its anything like my p3at I would greatly prefer that then manual safety and a "smoother" trigger. I like the trigger on my p3at because you have to "mean business" to shoot it, which is great for a carry weapon. Reduces accidently catching it and going bang.

Thanks for the review.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    However, my EDC piece is a Glock 26. Why? It will accept any and all Glock 9mm magazines from 10 rds to 33 rds. Plus, every time I pull the Glock's trigger, it goes 'BANG'. That's just my two cents worth. Thanks.
    Yawn.....Glock response # 21. If somone want to pocket a spare 33 rd. mag , more power to them. Their likely to impress the ladies more than deter any bad guys.

The keltec wins in the fact that it is lighter, has no stupid loaded chamber indicator...Ruger loses with an external safety, that is harder to engage than disengage and can be lived with..stupid loaded chamber indicator...
    More opinion than comparison concerning the safety and indicator.

When holstered, it is easy to switch off the safety as you draw, unless your hands are oversized. If your hands are oversided, then the LC9 is the wrong tool for more reasons than the safety. One advantage of the safety of the LC9, other then those who naturally like an external safety, is when inserting the firearm into a tight fit holster the slide does not push back.

The load chamber indicator, at worst, is cosmetic unpleasing, to some. It does have a few functional values, like being able to tell in the dark if a round is in the chanber. Guns of all quality do malfunction, and after clearing a failure, yet another reason the indicator, beyound the obvious, might have value. It does not rise up to the point for being distracting to the sights. While it might catch when being holsterd, given the slope, would not catch on the draw.

I don't like the LC9. However for those who don't mind an external safety, and like the SR9 (40, C, etc), LCP, various .380 SCP pocket carries, Kahrs, slim carryies, etc should take a look at the LC9.

The LC9 is a bigger LCP with a few SR series features (and does rip off some other designs who can't understand patents). Don't get me wrong, I think Rugers are great, but honestly, that is what the LC9 is. Sort of like an i-pod. Sure there are other MP3 players out there, but for what it is, the i-pod is just a little more appealing to most.
    Last edited by Thanis; October 16th, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links