Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The keltec wins in the fact that it is lighter, has no stupid loaded chamber indicator, no external safety and no magazine disconnect. But that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 and Keltec PF9 Comparison

The keltec wins in the fact that it is lighter, has no stupid loaded chamber indicator, no external safety and no magazine disconnect.

But that is where it ends. The ruger wins in quality, strength, and trigger pull which is crisper and more deliberate with a much better reset and much better adjustable sights for people who actually like to use them.

Pretty much Ruger has yet again succeeded in ripping off the keltec design like they did to the p3at with the LCP and putting out a higher quality, albeit heavier reproduction. All of the parts are pretty identical. The slides almost fit each other and the magazines as well.

Ruger loses with an external safety, that is harder to engage than disengage and can be lived with. A magazine disconnect, which can be removed as I have posted a writeup elsewhere, but requires beginner to intermediate gunsmith skills and a stupid loaded chamber indicator which is easy as pie to disable, by simply punching out a roll pin, removing the piece and either grinding or cutting the front metal part that drops down that makes contact with the cartridge and then putting it back in the weapon never to "rise up" again. I will do a detailed writeup on it later. It requires beginner gunsmith skills and intermediate dremel or grinder skills.

The Ruger obviously handles recoil better due to the heavier weight and can handle +P if necessary. The Keltec grip flexes in the hand with the mag removed while the Ruger does not, it is very much more fragile or flimsy than the Ruger.

While you cannot go wrong with either, I will take Ruger over the Keltec just because of the trigger and strength of build. But the "please protect me from my own stupidity" safety features almost make it a wash so IMHO you can't go wrong with either, I just choose to support the manufacturer from Arizona/Connecticut over the one from Florida. I hope to have some point shooting video reviews up by the weekend.

Here are the comparison photos:

HotGuns and rammerjammer like this.

Thanks for your helpful review!

Oh and keltec peeps don't hate. I actually prefer the p3at over the lcp. My review is strictly personal preference.

I thought you were going to wait at least a year until they worked all the bugs out Just kidding. Thanks for the great pics. Hope it works out well for ya. My one question is, how is an external safety a bad thing? If you dont want to carry with it engaged, just leave it hot? Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

It would appear that the Rugger has more rounded edges as well. I understand Keltec has a great warranty (fix for life) what's the warranty for the Rugger?
    Have you seen any range reports on the two after several hundred rounds?

Thanks, nice pics.

I guarantee mine will have three hundred through it this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I thought you were going to wait at least a year until they worked all the bugs out Just kidding. Thanks for the great pics. Hope it works out well for ya. My one question is, how is an external safety a bad thing? If you dont want to carry with it engaged, just leave it hot? Bunker
    Yeah me too, but a great deal fell in my lap. I dont like an external safety because as with all other things it can become engaged. I wish it weren't there the DA trigger is enough... there isnt one on the LCP. Murphy's Law

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I guarantee mine will have three hundred through it this weekend
    I always wanted to know, whats with the motorcycle helmet in your avatar? plus flak jacket????
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I always wanted to know, whats with the motorcycle helmet in your avatar? plus flak jacket????

Force on force training. it hurts you know.

Those two look just about identical.

I'll stick with the original, but thanks for the review.
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I'll stick with the original, but thanks for the review.
    Yeah those Browning Hi-Powers are nice, I own a few myself.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    As much as I wanted to like this gun I just can't bring myself to buy one. I'm really eying the new Kahr CM9. I know you mentioned you wouldn't buy one because of some religious affiliation they have(not sure what it is?) but I really don't care. They are the only company that is currently producing a pocket 9 with the features I want. The only thing I con't like about the Kahr is the fact that it has to be chambered using the slide stop instead of sling-shot method.

If it were not for their religious beliefs would you consider the Kahr?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    As much as I wanted to like this gun I just can't bring myself to buy one. I'm really eying the new Kahr CM9. I know you mentioned you wouldn't buy one because of some religious affiliation they have(not sure what it is?) but I really don't care. They are the only company that is currently producing a pocket 9 with the features I want. The only thing I con't like about the Kahr is the fact that it has to be chambered using the slide stop instead of sling-shot method.

If it were not for their religious beliefs would you consider the Kahr?
    I am sure the Kahr is a fine weapon, but I am not going to have my money go to fund that cult.

I have a PF-9 which I like except for the minuscule room for your trigger finger. It looks like Ruger got that part right. Does Ruger make a pinky extension? If so, I might just have to switch one day. ( I modified a Pierce extension meant for a Kahr PM9 for mine.)
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links