Any .17 HMR fans out there? - Page 3

Any .17 HMR fans out there?

This is a discussion on Any .17 HMR fans out there? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've shot numbers of jackrabbits here in Texas, especially when I was a kid and mostly used the .22 Long Rifle. They all keeled right ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any .17 HMR fans out there?

I've shot numbers of jackrabbits here in Texas, especially when I was a kid and mostly used the .22 Long Rifle. They all keeled right over with even half-way decent body hits. Don't recall ever shooting at one over 50 yards though.

Rabbits and jackrabbits never seemed to take much to kill. I remember reading a prominent gun writer who claimed that cottontails couldn't reliably be anchored with .22 Long Rifle solids. He must have had tougher cottontails in Wyoming than we have in Texas. As a youngster quite a few went into my mother's frying pan, felled by a Benjamin Model 317 .177 air rifle. Didn't have problems with them running off wounded from that Benjamin. Once shot a rabbit for an impromptu grilled breakfast after duck hunting at our old place. Used a 10 gauge on him. Sounds dreadful but he was about 40 yards off and I aimed over him. He was struck in the body with only 2 pellets of No. 2 lead shot. I wasn't intending to center him in the pattern so he wouldn't be mush but intended for a few more to hit than only 2. Nonetheless, he keeled right over.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    . And like said, it is one flat shooter. I went to the LGS a few years back and said I wanted something for varmints that shoots flat, but doesn't have the range of a .223 or 22-250 and he showed me the .17. I love mine. I've got a plain jane Marlin and it was very reasonable.
    The flat trajectory is what gives it the big advantage when hunting in the field. It is like night and day compared to a .22 LR And it still has a significant edge over a 22 magnum in flatness too. Although the Remington Premier Gold Box 33 gr VMAX load for the 22 magnum is quite awesome. Accurate, shoot flatter than any other 22 mag load, and outperforms the 17 HMR in energy. It is the go to load for anyone hunting with a 22 mag.

The huge hold overs that one typically has to use with the .22 LR is a real challenge in field hunting. Makes using a range finder crucial.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Rabbits are indeed quite easy to put down.

Coyotes are pretty tough, though, and I would generally recommend using a centerfire on them. Marmots can be tough to put down too, as they often have so much fatty tissue that can absorb damage. You can take them with a 17 HMR or 22 Mag, as long as you keep the ranges relatively short, and have precise shot placement. Although I usually hunt them with a .223, and a few times even with a 22-250

Squirrels and varmint birds are where the 17 HMR can really shine.

Like any caliber war, it comes down to bullet placement. I can place the bullet (apparently) much better with my .17 than I could my .22 mag, so it works better for me at what I am using it for. Most of my shooting is done standing with the rifle resting on a 6 ft fence or window frame.
    I think I'll give those VMAX a try for my .22 mag though. I still grab that gun on occassion.

Honestly, one of my favorite things to do with the .17 is shooting full water bottles or cans with the vmax bullets. Nothing is more satisfying than watching your targets literally explode on impact. I haven't shot a 22 mag with the vmax bullets, so I can't compare. If you guys haven't tried it, it is a blast, though.

Well, I decided to take the plunge. It was only a matter of time, right?

I was oscillating between the Marlin and Savage; I ended up with the Marlin 917V.

It was a bit cheaper and I wanted a more traditional look.

Once I get a scope on it, I'll post pics.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Woo-Hoo! That's the model I have. You'll be very happy with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links