Any .17 HMR fans out there?

This is a discussion on Any .17 HMR fans out there? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's varmint season and I've got the bug for one of those new-fangled .17HMR rifles. I've got my eye on the Savage 93R17BTVS Any of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any .17 HMR fans out there?

It's varmint season and I've got the bug for one of those new-fangled .17HMR rifles.

I've got my eye on the Savage 93R17BTVS

Any of you guys/gals shoot the .17 very much?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Nope. If you want a flat shooting field mouse or chipmunk killer it will be great. Anything larger, say coons, possums, or slightly larger and I'll stick with the .22 or 22mag.

But that's just me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Nope. If you want a flat shooting field mouse or chipmunk killer it will be great. Anything larger, say coons, possums, or slightly larger and I'll stick with the .22 or 22mag.

But that's just me.
    Me too. I just don't see the point in having a .17 when I already have a .22. I'll stick with my Marlin.

gtv
    I have an H&R Sportster single shot in .17HMR, and it is my most accurate rifle, bar none. As far as a "chipmunk" round, well, I have killed groundhogs with it at over 150 yards, and it will blow a prairie dog's head clean off. I use it regularly for squirrel hunting, taking head shots since if you body shoot them there will be nothing left to eat. I think it is a great round for what I use it for. If you want some good info and reviews on different guns, etc., check out 17HMR.net Forums .
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Me too. I just don't see the point in having a .17 when I already have a .22. I'll stick with my Marlin.
    Me too. Dont need a .17. Got a .22LR for squirrels. .223 for coyotes. .22mag for ground hogs.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's varmint season and I've got the bug for one of those new-fangled .17HMR rifles.

I've got my eye on the Savage 93R17BTVS

Any of you guys/gals shoot the .17 very much?
    The 17 HMR is far more accurate than the other rimfire rounds. And the biggest difference of all is how very flat is trajectory is. Makes hitting small game in the field far, far easier.

The Savage and Marlins are the best value priced guns. If you are willing to go higher, the CZ 452 and 453 Varmint models are simply outstanding. The 453 has an incredible trigger on it.

Here is a photo of a CZ 452 Varmint:

And here is a photo of a CZ 453 Varmint:

The ultimate .17 rifles are the Anschutz and Cooper rifles.

Any Cooper rifle is a work of art. And they literally shoot one hole groups.

My .17 HMR far outperforms my .22 mag. It's my goto rifle for groundhogs and other smallish varmints. I even took a fox with one a couple years ago. That little plastic tipped bullet does some damage and even chest shots will put them down, whereas they didn't always drop them where they stood with my .22 mag. And like said, it is one flat shooter. I went to the LGS a few years back and said I wanted something for varmints that shoots flat, but doesn't have the range of a .223 or 22-250 and he showed me the .17. I love mine. I've got a plain jane Marlin and it was very reasonable.

I sometimes even down load a 223 to 12-1300 fps and use it for squirrel hunting.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think a 17 HMR would be fun, but I don't have one. I might get a bolt gun in that caliber one of these days though; some of these responses have me wanting one.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Anyone who prefers a 22 LR over a .17 hmr has definitely never shot one. This is simply the most fun rifle I have ever shot. It shoots so flat, so far, and so hard for a little rimfire round. When some may prefer a 22 mag, I will take a .17 over it, any day. The ballastic tip rounds are great for the smaller game like squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, ect. The hollow points are strong enough to take down a coyote with a well placed shot. Foxes and bobcats beware .

I bought the cheap model Marlin. Stripped the finish and re-stained and tru-oiled it. I'll post up a pic when I get a hold of one. The cheaper guns have a bit of a stiff trigger, so may need work. The more expensive guns, like the thumbholes, have a great trigger and are ready to go, right out of the box. ...Because of the huge price difference, I opted to fix the trigger on mine, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Anyone who prefers a 22 LR over a .17 hmr has definitely never shot one. ...
    You're 100% wrong in that assesment.

I own a .17 (Handi-rifle), and far prefer .22 LR...and think that .22 WMR is a better round than .17 as well.

Is it accurate? Sure. So's my 10/22. Or my Nylon 66. Or my Marlin 60.

Is it a death beam? Nope. I've seen that little plastic bullet stop inside a 20oz. water bottle. I've also seen it fail, and blow up far too shallow (on a feral cat @ 25yds--shoulder shot pretty much took off the leg, but didn't kill).

The .17 is boxed in the closet; one of these days I'll get around to putting it up on the local board for sale.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    You're 100% wrong in that assesment.

I own a .17 (Handi-rifle), and far prefer .22 LR...and think that .22 WMR is a better round than .17 as well.

Is it accurate? Sure. So's my 10/22. Or my Nylon 66. Or my Marlin 60.

Is it a death beam? Nope. I've seen that little plastic bullet stop inside a 20oz. water bottle. I've also seen it fail, and blow up far too shallow (on a feral cat @ 25yds--shoulder shot pretty much took off the leg, but didn't kill).

The .17 is boxed in the closet; one of these days I'll get around to putting it up on the local board for sale.
    Yup. Not nearly enough stopping power for me. I've taken porcupines at well over 100 yards with my Marlin, and even got one at about 75 yards with my S&W 22A pistol. Plenty accurate for my uses, and it actually penetrated. Can't say that for a .17.

I have a older model Savage .17 an I love it. Everyone ask, my I shoot it.

I own a Marlin 17-V, bolt action, one of the early models of .17 hmr. I mounted a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scope and found the little gun to be a real tack driver. I have been able to literally explode small game and varmints out to about 200 yards. Can't do that with a .22. Don't get me wrong, I'm also a big fan of the .22 lr, and they too are very effective within certain limitations, but the .17 has the ability to reach out a bit further.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I adore the .22 Long Rifle which is a very capable cartridge in its own right from accurate rifles. I have developed a grudging admiration for the .22 Magnum for its worthwhile increase in power. I have a .22 Hornet that's even flatter shooting and accurate handloads may be fabricated so inexpensively. For hyper-accuracy and stretched string flat shooting, a pair of .220 Swift rifles answers. As a fun little toy a .17 might be entertaining but I have no experience with the breed.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links