Something bugging me about the AR15 "Bump" fire stock

This is a discussion on Something bugging me about the AR15 "Bump" fire stock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking about this new stock that is ATF approved,I think it is going to be the incendiary device that starts the uproar ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Something bugging me about the AR15 "Bump" fire stock

Something bugging me about the AR15 "Bump" fire stock

I have been thinking about this new stock that is ATF approved,I think it is going to be the incendiary device that starts the uproar about banning Semi Auto Magazine fed weapons from the hands of civilians,in the past it's been about magazine capacity etc.but this stock takes it up about 10 notches and when the anti-gunners and some of the pro 2nd amendment people see somebody firing an ar15 from a shouldered aimed stance and doing a 30 round mag dump they are gonna scream that is a machinegun and not only that,but the first time LEO are engaged in a shootout with somebody using one like the FBI shootout in Miami that started the 86 ban on machineguns,the Guy in the whitehouse will have the support he needs to ban all kinds of semi auto magazine fed rifles.
    Have I been inhaling my own farts for too long,or do you see where this could go bad in a real hurry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I definitely see your point. It is likely that one of these will be used during a crime at somepoint.

The other thing that bothers me is the ATF Letter.

The submittal letter to the ATF states that the stock was designed so that people who could not normally pull the trigger due to a disability could use the device to move the rifle forward against the trigger finger,since there are no springs or gadgets other than allowing the stock to move about 3/4" the ATF said that it did not fall into any regulated NFA area and okayed it.
    That seems rather deceitful considering they're advertising it for Bump Firing. Not for people with disabilities.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I can see your logic, to me it is the opposite side of the slippery slope arguement. But, I think if the device is used in criminal activity it would lead to the device being banned rather than magazines. They will keep trying to ban full capacity magazine, they did it once for 10 years.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The first time some redneck uses it to shoot up a 7-11 or some gang banger gets caught with it after using it in a drive by all hell is going to break loose.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    i think you (we) have a legitimate concern and I hope it never happens.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You're probably right. I could see that thing ending up all over ABC news with some "death device" moniker above it. It's pathetic that we even have a market for these things anyway; machine guns should never have been outlawed by the federal government in the first place, and there should be no ATF.

So we shouldn't own anything that might upset the antis? If you think like that, that win already.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    So we shouldn't own anything that might upset the antis? If you think like that, that win already.
    This isn't what my concern is at all,after firing an AR with this stock attached it pretty much turns the AR15 into a rapid fire gun and it is very controllable,I can see Drug Cartels getting these smuggled across the border,and also Gangsters using them in drivebys,and or against LEO's,the LA shootout and the movie "Heat"comes to mind.
    I do not think they will ban 30 round mags,they will totally ban Civilian AR15 sales,no gun to use the stock on,Possible situation averted.
    And the LEO Community is becoming aware of the capability's and most have seen the Youtube Videos
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

VIP Member
    I think this will be illegal in a short amount of time. The ATF has done the "OOps we didn't know it would work this good" before. This thing we be dead and gone in a couple of months.

As to the concerns about a BG using it and making the news? The media already portrays any AR type weapon as a super death ray already.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Why would a BG prefer the bump fire stock over simply breaking the law anyway and turning their AR into a full auto? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around "drug cartels" with $300 bump stocks when they probably have access to the real thing.
    Tzadik likes this.

Have I been inhaling my own farts for too long,or do you see where this could go bad in a real hurry
    Yep.

This argument has been used in every technological advancement known to firearms.

Hiram Maxim developed the most fearsome weapon known to the infantry...the Maxim machine gun. Back in the day when bolt action and single shot pistols ruled the battlefields, the fact that a gun could shoot several hundred rounds with speed never before seen, was quite the thing. Even Hiram himself stated that this could make war so terrible that it would become obsolete.

We saw how that ended up.

Here something to consider...
    the ANTI's don't care what or how it works, they just want it banned and they will use every argument available to try to make it sound legit.
    If it were up to them, single shot .22's would be banned and illegal to own.

We've got some pretty liberal minded folks here that think and sound alot like...well...I'll just go ahead and say it... liberals.

When we get some real men owning these things that think like men, instead of the boys that never had a dad put a boot in their tail for screwing up, these silly arguments will become moot and nothing but the waste of time and breath that they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Why would a BG prefer the bump fire stock over simply breaking the law anyway and turning their AR into a full auto? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around "drug cartels" with $300 bump stocks when they probably have access to the real thing.
    Thats the way I was thinking it through.

Without knowing how to convert an AR15 and at least one specialty tool,the average BG couldn't convert an AR15 to select fire.But in 5 minutes they could install this stock and end up with pretty much the same results.
    Hopyard likes this.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think this will be illegal in a short amount of time. The ATF has done the "OOps we didn't know it would work this good" before. This thing we be dead and gone in a couple of months.

As to the concerns about a BG using it and making the news? The media already portrays any AR type weapon as a super death ray already.
    That is correct. The Akins Accelerator came with a letter of approval from the ATF too, but what did it help? I think that if the "Bump fire stock" works well it might be forbidden very soon, and if it does not work then it is not worth buying. I would not like to lose $350 (Slide Fire Solutions SSAR-15) just like that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    [QUOTE=dukalmighty;1907515]Without knowing how to convert an AR15 and at least one specialty tool,the average BG couldn't convert an AR15 to select fire.But in 5 minutes they could install this stock and end up with pretty much the same results.

I believe you made a good point there

Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    Thats the way I was thinking it through.
    I do not think drug cartels fall within the definition of "average" bad guy.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links