Pennsylvania State Game lands Rifle/ Pistol ranges

This is a discussion on Pennsylvania State Game lands Rifle/ Pistol ranges within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just read a article in our local paper where the Pennsylvania Game Commission states that as of April 1st there ranges are no longer ...

Thread: Pennsylvania State Game lands Rifle/ Pistol ranges

Pennsylvania State Game lands Rifle/ Pistol ranges

I just read a article in our local paper where the Pennsylvania Game Commission states that as of April 1st there ranges are no longer free!! There is a thirty dollar(30.00) fee to use there ranges. Unless you have a valid hunting license from the state for that year. Also there is no fee for a minor child to shoot with you. Your also only allowed one free(minor) child with you.
    I'd much rather pay the rod and gun club fees to shoot thou over the state's fees, It's not enough that we pay for these ranges in our taxes, But now since we don't hunt and just want to practice shooting our pistols and Long guns the state charges us. I do believe I'd rather support the local gun clubs and get to use the other resources of there club. Than be charged twice for a PGC range. I feel that the PGC is double dipping by charging NON Hunter to use there ranges as there in our State game lands and are open to free hunting with a license. I guess this is like our lakes if the lake is Owned by Pennsylvania Boating commission or Army Corp of engineer you have to have a boat with current registration and if not you must pay a launch fee. If the boat has a motor even electric you must have registration. A non powered boat doesn't require a registration but you have to buy a boat launch permit. I'm just babbling now but I had to vent, Just another way to drain the average joes wallet. How do you feel about this??

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure how much of our taxes goes towards maintaining state game lands, but I would rather see them charge a fee for those who use these resources, rather than raise taxes of those who don't. I think you are right though, it would be better to join a gun club. At least there you can make friends and not be shooting next to a stranger every weekend.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    User based taxes are not at all uncommon. We pay taxes to build roads; we pay fuel taxes to maintain roads; yet, in so many cases we pay user taxes (tolls) to drive on hiways we already paid for in theory. Now simply because they are not uncommon does not mean they are just.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I agree with what others said. If it was funded JUST by the users then I would find such a system preferable. If it's really like you're saying though and general tax funds pay for it along with the user fee then I think instead they should be looking at privatizing them. That way no one is forced to pay for something they don't use or possibly even agree with at all.

I am not positive, but I believe that the ranges are game commission property, and that the licence feees are what pays for all fish and game properties. I do not think any general tax money goes into the game funding.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I was wondering if I would legally be allowed to shoot a handgun on the PA state game lands rifle ranges.

I read the following and do not see where it would state that it isn't allowed.
    State Game Lands

I do realize that 50 yrd or more is way too far for handgun but I am itching to try out a new pistol I bought.

The one near me North of Pittsburgh used to have a pistol area. Been years since I've used it but last time I was there it was to shoot pistols.

I think there is now a 3 round per mag limit. Glad I belong to 2 different clubs now without all those silly rules.

You can shoot your handgun, but you must shoot it from the firing point. The range I go to is listed as a "rifle range" but not of the WCO's have ever said anything to the people shooting handguns.

Links