Defensive Carry banner

First Shot is the Most Important; Right?

2K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  rfurtkamp 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have been busy weighing the pros and cons of the whole revolver vs semi-auto debate.

Here is the hangup I have. My shooting accuracy with a revolver is amazing compared to a semi automatic... Which begs the question, if my accuracy is that much better with the revolver, and my point shooting is even better with a revolver compared to the semi, would that be my logical choice for ccw be a revolver?

A large part of me says, "If you can shoot that accurate, you wont need that much ammo" and the other side of my logic kicks in and says, "how do you know you are going to be that accurate if somebody else is pointing a gun at you?"

So while trying to avoid the full on revolver vs semi automatic debate, my question is; if my revolver accuracy is that much better (I cannot stress how impressed I am up with my first shot accuracy :king: ) should that be my sidearm of choice?

Once again, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Carry what you shoot, can handle and are the most comfortable with! this seems as the revo win's in your case. No problem with that at all.

Ti.

#3 ·
Hey, do whatever works for you. For you, apparenlty, the wheelgun works best.

Go with it and never look back.

#6 ·
Here is my rating for carry guns in order of importance:

Reliablity (Do you trust it to go BANG when you pull the trigger?)
Accuracy ( YMMV on group size)
Confidence (Do you know your abilities with the gun?)
Comfort (shooting and carrying)
Capacity
Aftermarket accessories (sights, holsters)

With that said, I think EVERY shot is just as important as the one before it and the one after it, as every shot is a chance to live a little longer. Don't focus on making one or two good shots. With my 10mm, I focus on making 18 good shots, with my 45 I focus on making 11 good shots.

When I train I use tiny targets. My "torsos" are only 8" high and 5" wide. I train out to 50 yards with them. If I can keep all my shots in an 8x5 area in training, I shouldn't have a problem doing so when an attacker is trying to kill me. I expect groups to at least double when I am under real stress. That means a 16"x10" zone, plenty of room to place shots. Even tripling the size gives me 24"x15", between the shoulders and in the chest.

Words of wisdom I live by:
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
Aim small miss small.
Draw quick shoot slow.

#10 ·
As most have said - it has to be IMO down to what you operate best - and if that is revo by far then seems logical to use that for carry.

Even 5 shots from your increased accuracy potential may well exceed the effectiveness of twice as many from a semi you find way less accurate - for you.

#11 ·
If you are standing still in a lethal encounter...it wont matter....you will be shot/stabbed/bludgeoned.

Bullseye accuracy in a weaver stance is pipe dream at best in such an encounter.

YOU should train to move and shoot...and be as accurate as possible in that situation. And practice, practice, practice....you may be accurate standing still with no bullets flying your general direction, but dont count on it unless you practice from concealment, and while moving and engaging multiple targets...

Guys, dont fool yourself into thinking a crack shot will get you thru...there are many more perameters involved in survivng a lethal force encounter. Get training....and practice.

If you dont think what Im saying is true....just watch LEO shooting footage and see how few times they hit....

stay safe

#12 ·
AZG23,
From what I've read on numerous forums, written by LEO's about some LEO's, its a wonder that they hit at all.. Lack of practice, poor maintance, or poor training. (static, no movement, shooting like they are in a bullseye match) I agree with you. You need to train like you may have to fight.
As far as shooting a wheelie better, go for it. But think about carrying a BUG just in case 5 or 6 don't do the trick...
Take care, CraigJS

#13 ·
From what I read and hear---most gun fights occur with less than five rounds fired by each party. No stats to back that up---but I have heard it various times by various sources. By that alone, if you should best with a six shooter than stick with it for CCW. Semi autos offer higher capacity, ease of mag swap, slim design, and quicker follow up shots with rapid fire platforms....but if you are not comfortable with them none of that is any good. Bottom line is you want to be confident with your weapon and feel that it is truely an extention of your body.

#14 ·
My shooting accuracy with a revolver is amazing compared to a semi automatic... Which begs the question, if my accuracy is that much better with the revolver, and my point shooting is even better with a revolver compared to the semi, would that be my logical choice for ccw be a revolver?
Absolutely pick what you're comfortable with. But, I would recommend selecting based on the whole package: what you shoot well; what you are familiar handling safely; what you can reload quickly; what you can bring to bear effectively; what has sufficient capacity given your lifestyle. Everyone has the right "mix" that is most comfortable. For me, I can tolerate the slower reloads of a revolver that I'm completely accurate and safe using. On the other hand, if greater firepower is needed (situation), I'm much more comfortable carrying the 9mm. YMMV.

#15 ·
WJP9 said:
Semi autos offer higher capacity, ease of mag swap, slim design, and quicker follow up shots with rapid fire platforms
Just don't tell Mr. Miculek that!

#17 ·
sevesteen said:
I'd rather have 6 accurate shots than 15 less-than-accurate shots, unless the accuracy difference is pretty small. If 6 aren't enough, chances are a handgun isn't enough.

obviously youve never done any kind of Force on Force training...

You are moving, the BG is moving....and you dont have a chance to get your stance...because there is NO stance...

Id rather have 15...cuz the 1st 4 might not even hit the BG...and then there is the chance of multiples...the stats of only 3 rounds fired is old...times are changing and BG's are hunting in packs...

Carry what you will...but I wont be left with an empty gun cuz I thought 6 shots was "enough"...

#18 ·
AZG23,

+1

I could not agree more. As I have said before.... What happens if you find yourself in a position where you NEED to move? Let's say you have two BG's, in seperate positions, each firing large-capacity mags and the wall you are hiding behind is falling apart? Supressive fire is going to be required to save your own life. That, in my opinion, is not going to happen with a wheel gun. Some people will feel absolutely fine carrying a wheel gun, which is awesome. Carry what you feel better with, just be even MORE careful about the situations you may find yourself in.

I personally carry my H&K USPc with one in the tube plus 3 mags. I've had to do some training scenarios that have taught me that you can NEVER have enough ammunition when it comes down to it.

But, this is just my opinion. Like I said, shoot what you are most comfortable with and MAKE SURE that you know your own and your firearm's limits.

#19 ·
AZG23 said:

You are moving, the BG is moving....and you dont have a chance to get your stance...because there is NO stance...

Id rather have 15...cuz the 1st 4 might not even hit the BG...and then there is the chance of multiples...the stats of only 3 rounds fired is old...times are changing and BG's are hunting in packs...

Carry what you will...but I wont be left with an empty gun cuz I thought 6 shots was "enough"...
+1 on that brother.

There is a world of differance between standing ona firing line knocking out bullseyes, and combat.

I would suggest that if you are thinking of carrying a revolver, run a course of fire and see how proficient you are then.

#20 ·
hsuCowboy98 said:
+1 on that brother.
I would suggest that if you are thinking of carrying a revolver, run a course of fire and see how proficient you are then.
may I suggest you attend an IDPA match near you and compete with your revolver.....this will give you a "glimpse"....only a slight glimpse as it is just a game...and it is NOT training. But it will give you a better understanding of what "can" occur and the weapon handling to get you thru it...

Im not saying that there are 5 BG's around EVERY corner...but train and carry for the chance that there just may be one day...may we be blessed to never have to...but train like it can happen.

#21 ·
What it all comes down to is this :

If your life, or that of your loved ones, are on the line, what gun would you feel more confident with?

Answer that question for yourself, then practice with it until it's like breathing.

#22 ·
It doesn't matter if you have a semi-auto filled with a bottomless magazine of thermo-nuclear hollowpoints if you can't hit squat with it. Go with the revolver for now and keep practicing with the semi-auto. YOU ARE NOT UNDERGUNNED WITH THE REVOLVER!

#24 ·
Go with the revolver for now and keep practicing with the semi-auto. YOU ARE NOT UNDERGUNNED WITH THE REVOLVER!
Unless of course you happen to get in a shootout with a badguy that has a 15,16 or 17 round magazine in his weapon. That can be a real advantage when you are just a few feet apart, you are both freaking out, you're both dancing in circles and looking for cover at the same time and you realize that you are missing as much as you are shooting.:gah: :blink:

I suppose that might be one of the reasons that most of the police and militarys in the world have migrated from the revolver to the semi auto.

#25 ·
AZG23 said:

The first to get 1 or 2 accurate shots on target will be the winner most of the time. If you can do that better with a revolver, that's what you should use. If you're equal or better with an auto, use an auto. If you carry an auto, fully load your magazines, because "too much" ammo is almost impossible. Force on force is valuable, but no guarantee that it will match the real world.

#26 ·
I have never seen a revolver yet that offers the rapid and accurate follow-up shots that I can get with an automatic - the nature of the turning cylinder and trigger pull requirements make this a mechanical impossibility.

If you simply shoot massively better with a revolver, and can do so under stress and lousy stance and in the rain when you're not feeling good, carry it. If not, shoot until you can or rethink your carry choices.

My concern with any pistol is not the vaunted 'one shot stop' but rather how long the stop will take regardless of number of shots - I do not expect that my assailant (if I am graced to only meet one) will drop over and stop fighting after the first hit immediately.

I expect that if the threat continues to manifest to continue to shoot until the threat ceases. I would like to have more bullets than required to accomplish that task.

It's why I don't carry a 1911 any more, along with the safety (hate 'em on a carry gun) issue.

If confronted with two or more bad guys, I want far more than 2 shots each. A 50% hit rate will put me with the best of the best under stress - and hoping for the one shot stop at that point with one left in the cylinder on the average 5-shot carry revolver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.