Should I get a Seecamp .25? Atagua? Pros amd Cons?

This is a discussion on Should I get a Seecamp .25? Atagua? Pros amd Cons? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a chance to get paid for some work with a Seecamp .25. I've fired it and it works fine. It comes with a ...

I have a chance to get paid for some work with a Seecamp .25. I've fired it and it works fine. It comes with a box and one magazine. It just so happens SWMBO is looking for a backup smaller than her Tomcat and she likes this. I think the owner is into the gun for about $400, I see. a wide variation in prices online, but spare magazines are consistantly around $100 amd Seecamp doesn't stock them. There are internet rumors about compatible mags from other brands but I haven't tested any yet. Tje spare mag issue is the only thing keeping it from being a done deal.

Option two is an Atagua .32. Comes with two magazines and with MPA making them again I feel better about spares, worth about $200 to the owner. It also works, kicks more, carries about the same, hits harder.

Any pros or cons I'm missing?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Go play around the Seecamp forum a bit. I would almost bet you could swap the .25 for a .32. I don't have a spare mag, as a reload with the Seecamp is ridiculous, but the .32 mags are out there new.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Cool

Friends don't let friends buy "mouse guns".

That said I have a Beretta 950 .25 acp that I have had since the 1970's and it now resides in my golfbag as a backup for my sand wedge. I do carry a Diamondback .380 as a BUG to my 9mm and larger calibers.

If the wife likes the Seacamp then you should get it for her. A .25 fired into the face of a BG will get their attention no matter what some others might say. Just let her know that the caliber has it's limitations. FMJ is the only way to go with this small caliber and low velocity round IMHO.

You have answered your own question in regards to which one of the two choices is more potent. My question is which one is more reliable? Heck get them both it's only money and send me the Tomcat for this sage advice...

photo.jpg .45 ACP round for size comparison.

Click photo to enlarge.
    Last edited by Old School; April 8th, 2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Add Photo
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Go play around the Seecamp forum a bit. I would almost bet you could swap the .25 for a .32. I don't have a spare mag, as a reload with the Seecamp is ridiculous, but the .32 mags are out there new.
    ^^^^^^ This is sound advice.

I guess a .25 is better than harsh language, but not by much.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have a chance to get paid for some work with a Seecamp .25. I've fired it and it works fine. It comes with a box and one magazine. It just so happens SWMBO is looking for a backup smaller than her Tomcat and she likes this. I think the owner is into the gun for about $400, I see. a wide variation in prices online, but spare magazines are consistantly around $100 amd Seecamp doesn't stock them. There are internet rumors about compatible mags from other brands but I haven't tested any yet. Tje spare mag issue is the only thing keeping it from being a done deal.

Option two is an Atagua .32. Comes with two magazines and with MPA making them again I feel better about spares, worth about $200 to the owner. It also works, kicks more, carries about the same, hits harder.

Any pros or cons I'm missing?
    Take the Seecamp. If it's in decent shape & you decide you don't want it - you could turn around and easily sell it for 500; if it's in excellent shape you could get 600 or more for it. They aren't made anymore -- (the lack of) supply and demand is making them desirable as collectibles.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    Take the Seecamp. If it's in decent shape & you decide you don't want it - you could turn around and easily sell it for 500; if it's in excellent shape you could get 600 or more for it. They aren't made anymore -- (the lack of) supply and demand is making them desirable as collectibles.
    Yea, maybe hold on to long enough and it will be worth millions. One serious note I would be intrested in the .25. Pm if you wish to sell it

Right now I'm leaning towards the Seecamp. I found a couple magazines in the unknown box at work that I believe I can modify to work. I can always pick up an Atagua/MPA and we have 4 or 5 spare mags in stock. Only 4500 or 5000 of
    the Seecamps were made so there is that to consider.

I figure 6 Winchester Expanding Points to the head is ok as a BUG to her Glock 26. She likes both guns even though the Atagua kicks more. I'm thinking tomorrows going to be an interesting day.

Maybe another big job will come in and I'll get both...
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Got the Seecamp! Did one last test firing of both and got a couple FTF from the Atagua so Seecamp wins. I was able to make another good magazine and one that still needs work bit will turn out good enough for practice purposes. SWMBO is happy, now for a holster...

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links