Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free - Page 2

Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Drail ... Go to the rimfirecental forum and read the sticky about what is required to see if you think you can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drail View Post
    ... Go to the rimfirecental forum and read the sticky about what is required to see if you think you can do it yourself. A washer that is exactly the right size can be used to take up the space created by removal of the mag safety or you can use a MK II hammer bushing with no other modifcations and it will work just like a MK II. DO NOT just remove the mag safety without using a washer or a MK II hammer bushing. You have to shim the empty space or the gun's hammer and sear will get chewed up bad as the hammer walks in and out on its pin.
    This.

Also, search for "Sam's bushings" on the Ruger MK III forum at rimfire central. It's a bushing you can use instead of washers and is only 10 bucks. I did the washer mod and it works great, but I had to reduce the radius of one of the washers so the sear would engage. It was a fun project, but I'm the type of guy that likes to that that type of stuff once. I have Sam's bushing on two of my Mk III's and they work great.

All my mk III's have the mag disconnects removed, and the mags fly out when I hit the mag release button.

Mine will drop freely, if the breach isnít locked open, like on an empty gun in slide lock. If it has the slide closed it will drop, otherwise it pops out just short of an inch and is removed easily with a slight amount of drag.
    Mine is a mark 3 hunter if it makes a difference.

Another alternative to washers...

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    This.

Also, search for "Sam's bushings" on the Ruger MK III forum at rimfire central. It's a bushing you can use instead of washers and is only 10 bucks. I did the washer mod and it works great, but I had to reduce the radius of one of the washers so the sear would engage. It was a fun project, but I'm the type of guy that likes to that that type of stuff once. I have Sam's bushing on two of my Mk III's and they work great.

All my mk III's have the mag disconnects removed, and the mags fly out when I hit the mag release button.
    There is another option here in NH. There is a company called Tandemkross that sells the bushings as well as other firearm gear. They are great folks to work with. I have one of their bushings in my own Mark III 22/45 and it allows the mags to drop free. The polymer frame in the 22/45 for some reason the magazines drag a lot in those models.

I hope that helps!

try switching how you hold it

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have a Ruger Mark 3 22/45, and the magazines don't seem to want to drop free. Like, they will drop some when the magazine release is hit, but not all the way out, and not smoothly. I have 2 mags for it, and both of them do the same thing.

Are there any fixes to this that someone without a lot of advanced gunsmithing stuff can do? Or should I just accept that I am going to have to be not lazy, and pull the magazines out?
    I have just purchased a ruger mk3 22/45 and really love it, with the exception of the process you have to go through cleaning it. I have been having the same trouble, but found out that there was no way for me to hold the gun by the grip and press the mag release with my thumb and have the mag drop as I do with all my other semi's. No matter how I tried, the heel of my palm touches the rear of the expended magazine and prevents the mag form dropping. I have to hold the gun with my right hand on top of the slide area and press the mag release with my thumb. In my case, this frees up the rear of the magazine and it readily drops out. This may not even be the problem with yours, it may just be a tighter fit in the area, but I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links