Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger Mark 3 22/45, and the magazines don't seem to want to drop free. Like, they will drop some when the magazine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free

Ruger Mark III 22/45 mags don't drop free

I have a Ruger Mark 3 22/45, and the magazines don't seem to want to drop free. Like, they will drop some when the magazine release is hit, but not all the way out, and not smoothly. I have 2 mags for it, and both of them do the same thing.

Are there any fixes to this that someone without a lot of advanced gunsmithing stuff can do? Or should I just accept that I am going to have to be not lazy, and pull the magazines out?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

How do you load the magazines? Do you push the button down, then drop the rounds in until it is full? I may have had a similar problem as yours, but it may be for a different reason. I was doing that, and then I realized how incredibly essential it is to release the button and let that first round come to the top and be aligned properly. If that is done, all the other rounds align properly with no issues. If not, you can get away with it for a while, but then you start noticing weird things like the "sticky" magazine you noted, and the first round (after you get the magazine out) seems to be pushed forward a bit, and the actual bullet damaged, as if it was pushed into the button of the feed ramp, and the ramp sort of cut/crushed the bullet a bit.

Eventually I started having feed issues - even a few stovepipes. Once I figured out the mag issue, I also cleaned the thing. The next time I tried it, it felt pretty much brand new. Absolutely zero magazine issues.

But there are other reasons for sticky magazines too that I found while I researching my problem. No one else on the internet seemed to have my problem for the reasons I did.

Note: I have a regular MKIII - I assume it is similar enoguh.

When I load the magazines, it is one round at a time, and I only pull the knob down far enough for one round at a time.

A good cleaning is in order, the one downfall of the Ruger Mark's is disassembly and re-assembly, as it is a pain.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Absolutely. Many impolite words were uttered in the general direction of Ruger when I disassembled and (finally managed to) reassembled my MK III.

Administrator
    Mine does the same thing when its really dirty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Mine does the same thing when its really dirty.
    Mine doesn't really have all that many rounds through it though, no more than a couple hundred in its life. It got a cleaning before its first range trip, and even during that trip it seemed to do it. I think I am going to tinker around with it some this fall/winter, as I mentioned to you before, the trigger on it doesn't feel ideal to me either. I just thought of this today while I was figuring out if there is anything else I need to add to a Brownell's order I'm gonna make, in case there are any parts I might need.

If possible, I am going to need some guidance/tools from you on a couple of sets of night sights in a couple months. And hopefully they don't have any red loc-tite from the factory...
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

You're probably not going to be able to get those mags to drop free at all, or at least consistently, without altering the firearm. The back of the mags drag on the MKIII safety and that usually keeps them from dropping out. The only two ways I know of to fix it are to install one of these https://www.volquartsen.com/pictures...gazine-ejector or to remove the magazine safety (which is what I did as I was replacing a lot of the internals anyhow). If you don't like field stripping your ruger, than you probably aren't going to want to try the latter, though all you need to do it are some punches and a MKII hammer bushing or home-made spacer to fill the gap left by the magazine safety. This site detailstrip has some pretty good info if you want to detail strip your ruger, once I had done it a couple of times it didn't seem that daunting anymore. Good luck.

There is nothing wrong with your mk3 22/45 it is designed that way. If your hand isn't in the way it will drop about 1/8 inch just enough to grab it and remove it
    A good website for info on working on the 22/45 is www.guntalk-online.com

You might want to check these guys out. Ruger Rimfires - Ruger Forum
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Thanks for the links guys, looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

I am not averse to tinkering and replacing parts. I just think that Ruger should of made this series of pistol easier to disassemble, as it is a pain to get apart and back together.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

If possible, I am going to need some guidance/tools from you on a couple of sets of night sights in a couple months. And hopefully they don't have any red loc-tite from the factory...
    OK, just let me know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just got one of these Ruger MKIII 22/45 pistols today. The mags drop free no problem. Of course...it hasn't been fired yet or dirty. Time will tell.

I actually just broke down and did a complete cleaning of mine a week or two ago. Prior to that, I'd just boresnake it. It only took about 4,000 rounds before I started having any issues with it.

Although, this reminds me, I should look into some upgrades.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

My Mk III 22/45 doesn't drop mags free either. I suspect it has something to do with the magazine safety. I might eventually get around to removing it. As it is, I only use it for plinking and steel challenge, neither of which requires that the magazines drop free. Overall it is a great pistol, but takedown is a pain.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Most but not all MK IIIs will not gravity drop the mag because of the insidious mag safety in the gun. I have removed them from enough of these guns now to hate the mag safety "feature". Also some mags will stick in a MK III and some will fall right out. The guns and the mags have a lot of manufacturing tolerance variations in them. Some customers mags would still be a little "sticky" even after the mag safety was removed. A very slight mod to the mag would "fix" it. If you have a MK III with the mag safety installed you should think about removing it or having it removed. The mag safety DOES make teardown and reassembly a pain in the butt and is a feeble attempt to "idiotproof" the gun by the lawyers. Ruger is no stranger to idiots trying to sue them because they were too dumb to handle a loaded gun. If you're an idiot you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a loaded gun (mag safety or no mag safety). Go to the rimfirecental forum and read the sticky about what is required to see if you think you can do it yourself. A washer that is exactly the right size can be used to take up the space created by removal of the mag safety or you can use a MK II hammer bushing with no other modifcations and it will work just like a MK II. DO NOT just remove the mag safety without using a washer or a MK II hammer bushing. You have to shim the empty space or the gun's hammer and sear will get chewed up bad as the hammer walks in and out on its pin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links