First time shooting a 44 mag.

This is a discussion on First time shooting a 44 mag. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I'm not sure, I may have shot one in my youth, but may have been 44 special or lower power 44 mags. Today, first ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: First time shooting a 44 mag.

First time shooting a 44 mag.

Well, I'm not sure, I may have shot one in my youth, but may have been 44 special or lower power 44 mags.

Today, first time as an adult, I was able to try it out enough to get a good understanding of what it might mean for me to use a 44 mag. It was a 5 inch S&W revolver. When fired, the recoil was close to my limit of comfort in a pistol. It fit a few steps under a .357 mag out of a light weight snub (something I would never want to do again).

Don't think I would use it for everyday SD.

So I'm starting to save for a 44 mag. Thinking I'll get a 4 inch. Will be a woods carry / hunting sidearm.

Has solved my 10mm interest. I like the 44 mag. Will follow up with a 44 mag lever, something that I've considered for a long time. Also plan to dive into 44 mag reloading.

Nice round.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

It is a gun that is powerful, a little intimidating, yet exhilarating. My brother has purchased two 44mags and I have had the chance to shoot them both. WOW! They are cool. My only issues with them and why I do not own one is the cost of a box of bullets, $28 and the other is after about 15-20 rounds you start to feel it in your wrist and arm a little. Not a huge fan of that. But I will offer to shoot a few rounds any time I am given the chance.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

It depends on what it's shot from I think... larger pistol or revolver means more weight... and less recoil as the guns weight makes for a good buffer.

I think Ruger makes nice revolvers. I personally fired a friend's Super Redhawk years ago with some super hot handloads... I would bet they were .44 mag +P+ or maybe even hotter. The recoil was harsh.

If you get a 4", if it's got maybe a full lug underneath the barrel, or its a heavy framed Ruger, you probably shouldn't have to worry about recoil.

Load up some .44 specials and mix in some .44 magnums... they should be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Well, I'm not sure, I may have shot one in my youth, but may have been 44 special or lower power 44 mags.

Today, first time as an adult, I was able to try it out enough to get a good understanding of what it might mean for me to use a 44 mag. It was a 5 inch S&W revolver. When fired, the recoil was close to my limit of comfort in a pistol. It fit a few steps under a .357 mag out of a light weight snub (something I would never want to do again).

Don't think I would use it for everyday SD.

So I'm starting to save for a 44 mag. Thinking I'll get a 4 inch. Will be a woods carry / hunting sidearm.

Has solved my 10mm interest. I like the 44 mag. Will follow up with a 44 mag lever, something that I've considered for a long time. Also plan to dive into 44 mag reloading.

Nice round.
    The .44mag is a pleasure to shoot if you reload for lighter loads. The lighter loads (1050-1200fps cast bullets) are effective against any animal in North America with the possible exception of brown bear and are not punishing to shoot.

Will follow up with a 44 mag lever, something that I've considered for a long time.
    I picked up a 44 Mag Vaquero in SS last fall, and although I have not yet shot it, I now lust for a 44 Mag Lever gun. I think it's just the bees knees to have a revolver and lever gun chambered the same. That'd have us both ready for rabid squirrels and the like, Thanis, right?
    glockman10mm likes this.

I have a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk, it has a six inch barrel. I am 6' and 189 lbs and I can shoot mine with out freakin out, Crying about my hand and arm. I love puttin rounds down range with it.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my smitty 629 is absolutley amazing. cannot say enough about how much I love to shoot it with mag loads.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "The .44mag is a pleasure to shoot if you reload for lighter loads."

Then that would make it not a .44 Magnum, wouldn't it?

I carried a .41 Mag in AK when I lived there. It seemed to do everything my buddy's .44 mag did, only with less recoil, more control. Didn't cause the beating the .44 did also. But if arm-numbing rounds are to your liking, max it out with a .44!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I picked up a 44 Mag Vaquero in SS last fall, and although I have not yet shot it, I now lust for a 44 Mag Lever gun. I think it's just the bees knees to have a revolver and lever gun chambered the same. That'd have us both ready for rabid squirrels and the like, Thanis, right?
    I picked up a Marlin 1894C lever rifle chambered in .357 Magnum a couple years ago. It goes nicely with my Ruger Police Service Six and Ruger SP101. Since it shoots .38 Specials too, it goes well with my two S&W snub .38s. With .38s being relatively inexpensive, I can shoot .38s through all 4 of these handguns and this rifle. Makes for a lot of inexpensive fun.

I bought my first .44 Magnum a couple months ago and upon taking it shooting I was pleasantly surprised by how well and smooth it shot. It all boils down to the size and weight of the gun. Mine is an old antique Single Action Six Shooter and it feels like it weighs 5 pounds...but she's a great shooter. Look for something bigger and heavier and it'll be fun and pleasurable to shoot.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

NO....it still exceeds .44spec loads.....that makes it .44mag.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

VIP Member
    Years ago I shot a S&W range gun with UMC ammo billed as high and low power; I suppose 180 gr vs 240 gr. Anyway I gave some of the high pwr away.
    A year ago I got a redhawk and needed a glove to shoot it because of the slick rosewood grips and the point of the grip would jam into my hand and not make it fun to shoot.
    I got a Hogue monogrip and now it is a fun gun to shoot; maybe not for some women and children; but, otherwise fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Years ago I shot a S&W range gun with UMC ammo billed as high and low power; I suppose 180 gr vs 240 gr. Anyway I gave some of the high pwr away.
    A year ago I got a redhawk and needed a glove to shoot it because of the slick rosewood grips and the point of the grip would jam into my hand and not make it fun to shoot.
    I got a Hogue monogrip and now it is a fun gun to shoot; maybe not for some women and children; but, otherwise fun.
    You are correct about the Hogue, it does make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "The .44mag is a pleasure to shoot if you reload for lighter loads."

I carried a .41 Mag in AK when I lived there. It seemed to do everything my buddy's .44 mag did, only with less recoil, more control. Didn't cause the beating the .44 did also. But if arm-numbing rounds are to your liking, max it out with a .44!
    Why reloading is part of the plan. If you reload, then the way to go is 44 mag, because you can always build up a round that would be something like a .41 mag for SD, but could still use .44 mag for hunting.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I have an LAR grizzly in 44 magnum(1911 on steroids)I reload 240 grn lead semi wadcutters,I can reload light plinking loads that aren't any worse than 357 mag,or I can push the powder up a little and know how Thor feels when he whacks sumpin wit his hammer.
    PS if your gonna shoot guns that the ammo is way expensive,get a cheap lee single stage reloading kit with a set of dies,powder and primers,you can recoup your cost in about 100 rounds and can probably reload your brass for about 10 cents a round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First time I shot A 44 mag was back in '79, It was a S&W 29 6in & It shot Accurate with not much recoil at all ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links