Remington or Ruger?

This is a discussion on Remington or Ruger? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remington or Ruger? Given the choice between the Remington 700 and the Ruger M77, which one would you choose, and why? This is for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Remington or Ruger?

Remington or Ruger?

Remington or Ruger?

Given the choice between the Remington 700 and the Ruger M77, which one would you choose, and why?

This is for a bolt action hunting rifle in .308 Win.

2. Remove Ads

The savage because I can change barrels easily..... but you cant beat a good 700

I love my M700 BDL but I am biased, the only Ruger I own is the 10/22. Not by choice, I like Ruger I just don't have the coin to afford everything I want!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Administrator
    Both make fine hunting rifles. I'd give the edge to the 700 though, as I never cared much for Ruger's bolt design.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's a hard decision to make.

I'm kinda partial to Ruger, although the safety lever on their bolt actions takes some getting used to.

You can't go wrong with a Remington, either. They have a stellar reputation for their bolt action rifles.

I'll bet the Remington is cheaper. It seems like all the Rugers around here are gold-plated or something.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    I do a lot of custom gun work with both Rugers and Remingtons.

The Remingtons have a very large aftermarket parts thing going for them, and they blow the Rugers away in that aspect.

The Remingtons have a much better factory trigger. One of the most frequent mods I do is to chunk that Ruger trigger and put an aftermarket in it...mostly the Timney triggers. It is a vast improvement.

Most of the custom barrel manufactures have all of the Remington contours on their lists. Although things are getting better with the Rugers, it still isn't quite as good.

The Ruger stocks, the plastic ones feel cheap, and look cheap. Actually, the newer Remington ones do also, but at least they have a the options of a better stock.

You'll see lots of tricked out Remingtons on the various competition circuits, not so much with the Rugers. There are many reasons for that...some of them stated above.

I have several guys that swear by Rugers and refuse to shoot anything else...yet I change them up quite a bit from factory. Better stocks, better triggers, factory barrels changed to custom.
    I have lots of guys that swear by Remington and refuse to shoot anything else...and I change them up quite a bit too. In my personal experience, I'd say that the Remington jobs outnumber the Ruger jobs by at least 20 to 1.

If you are the kind of guy that only sights his deer rifle in once a year and carries it out in the woods a few times a year, the Ruger will do well and you'll never know the difference.
    If you like to shoot alot, reload for accuracy, tinker with your gun, strive for more and better...then you'll be better served with a Remington.

It all comes down to the individual.
    Some love the Ruger,some love the Remington, some love blonds and some love redheads.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ruger copied the Mauser action, which is probably one of the finest ever made, I still favor the 700 though. They tend to be a tad more accurate, and it's really hard to beat the new X Mark Pro trigger, it's user adjustable down to 2 1/2 pounds and they break like glass. Also there is almost new end to the after market goodies out there that'll help the owner customize it to his personal preference. I've owned both and hunt with a 700 SPS in 308 now, the best group I ever shot with my model 77 was 1 1/2 inches, the best group I've shot with my SPS could be covered with a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It all comes down to the individual.
    Some love the Ruger,some love the Remington, some love blonds and some love redheads.
    So thats why I have 30 guns stuffed in a 16 gun safe, I like them all! Though I would like to say that guns are way more affordable than women.

VIP Member
    The two companies both make a solid product. The Remington is a push feed action and the Ruger has controlled round feeding (like the Mauser98). So the question to you OP is do you like modern or are you a traditionalist? The Remington is "new school" and the Ruger is "old school". Both guns will last a lifetime.

These pictures highlight some of the differences between the two bolts.

bolt 1.jpgbolt 2.jpg
    surefire7 likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The Ruger has a cast receiver rather than forged like a classic 98 Mauser. The early M77s at least, were push-feed even though they have a claw extractor. The later ones may be controlled feed though.

I have only one Ruger M77 (an early one) that does shoot well but don't care for them generally. When working the bolt in the action feels gritty. Other Ruger M77s I've owned and have seen were aggravating to try to make shoot well. Their barrels didn't seem to be up to snuff.

Never owned a Remington 700 but have shot others rifles and have been around them for years. I know a lot of satisfied Remington 700 owners. The Remington barrels seem better and more accurate than the Ruger. The trigger is better. I'm not as keen on the Remington design for the extractor.

I enjoy bolt action sporters best if built on 98 Mauser actions or 1903 Springfield actions or else are pre-64 Winchester Model 70s, but I was born too late.
    Top Strap likes this.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yes, accuracy is important to me, but so is durability and reliability.

Since I can not afford to shoot .308 a whole lot, and I am just now looking at getting into reloading, I doubt that I will be putting more than a couple hundred rounds thru it per year. I enjoy shooting and plan on shooting it as much as I can afford, I just do not know how much that will be (even with reloading). But, this riffle will be used for both hunting and range use.

I also do not plan on extensive after market mods. I will be putting a sling on it, mounting a scope on it and I “might” have backup iron sights installed, but that is probably about it.

I do like the idea of the Mauser type bolt on the Ruger, but the Remington does seem to have a better reputation for “out of the box” accuracy. I'm not sure how much the different bolt types will impact durability and reliability.

I also have heard that the Remington has a slightly heavier/thicker barrel than the Ruger. If so, is it heavier enough to lessen the barrel harmonics and give better accuracy for follow-up shots? I doubt that I would be taking any shots beyond 300 yards, so even 1 - 2 MOA would be acceptable IF it is able to hold this level of accuracy even after the barrel heats up.

Thanks.

I know it's not on the list, but I will suggest Savage. Better accuracy, better stock trigger, and cheaper to boot. Plus I like the safety over the other two. I can also get a detachable magazine on the Savage.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback!

Yes, accuracy is important to me, but so is durability and reliability.

Since I can not afford to shoot .308 a whole lot, and I am just now looking at getting into reloading, I doubt that I will be putting more than a couple hundred rounds thru it per year. I enjoy shooting and plan on shooting it as much as I can afford, I just do not know how much that will be (even with reloading). But, this riffle will be used for both hunting and range use.

I also do not plan on extensive after market mods. I will be putting a sling on it, mounting a scope on it and I “might” have backup iron sights installed, but that is probably about it.

I do like the idea of the Mauser type bolt on the Ruger, but the Remington does seem to have a better reputation for “out of the box” accuracy. I'm not sure how much the different bolt types will impact durability and reliability.

I also have heard that the Remington has a slightly heavier/thicker barrel than the Ruger. If so, is it heavier enough to lessen the barrel harmonics and give better accuracy for follow-up shots? I doubt that I would be taking any shots beyond 300 yards, so even 1 - 2 MOA would be acceptable IF it is able to hold this level of accuracy even after the barrel heats up.

Thanks.
    Both rifles should shoot less than 2 MOA right out of the box (they will probably shoot closer to 1 MOA). Both rifles will last a lifetime and be a great gun. I suggest that you go to your local gun store and fondle both styles. You will know what gun is best for you after you hold them.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

3 shot group from the bench at 100 yards with my Remington 700 SPS topped with Talley lightweight one piece mounts,Konus 3X9X50 and shooting Hornady 150 grn Superformance.

Yea Top Strap! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Good group!
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links