VA gun law Question

This is a discussion on VA gun law Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I remember being told once that the maximum mag load you could carry or use in a defensive situation was 10 in Virginia. After ...

Thread: VA gun law Question

VA gun law Question

So I remember being told once that the maximum mag load you could carry or use in a defensive situation was 10 in Virginia. After reading up on VA laws I saw that there is no maximum mag load as long as you have a conceal carry permit and that if you do not have the permit the max load is 20. Does anyone know the right answer here?? The handgun I do have has a minimum 18 round mag, so I havnt even considered using it as a HD weapon considering the first info I heard about this. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, during the Brady Bill days we were restricted to 10 rounds. Now, if you posses a concealed permit there is no max amount you can carry.

i'm not 100% sure about open carry without a permit?

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by FullScaleWar View Post
    So I remember being told once that the maximum mag load you could carry or use in a defensive situation was 10 in Virginia. After reading up on VA laws I saw that there is no maximum mag load as long as you have a conceal carry permit and that if you do not have the permit the max load is 20. Does anyone know the right answer here?? The handgun I do have has a minimum 18 round mag, so I havnt even considered using it as a HD weapon considering the first info I heard about this. Thanks.

You are correct, No max if your a CHP holder, No permit required to OC.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure about this NOT applying to CHP holders......I know you can't have a shotgun capacity greater than THREE rounds while hunting.....If the below is accurate, there goes the three round rule!

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park..............

.....The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'm not sure about this NOT applying to CHP holders......I know you can't have a shotgun capacity greater than THREE rounds while hunting.....If the below is accurate, there goes the three round rule!
    18.2-287.4

Taken directly from the Virginia General Assembly Website
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-287.4

You can also get to it from VSP's firearms law page. It will link back to the one above.
    Virginia State Police - Selected State Laws Pertaining to Firearms

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The three round shotgun limit only applies to migratory birds IIRC.

General Information & Hunting Regulations

•Unplugged shotguns are legal for hunting non-migratory game and crows.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Thanks everyone for straightening that out for me! Its always best to know the facts

Links