New Project: Long Distance Plan - by Rem 700 5R Mils Spec Barrel - Page 2

New Project: Long Distance Plan - by Rem 700 5R Mils Spec Barrel

This is a discussion on New Project: Long Distance Plan - by Rem 700 5R Mils Spec Barrel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is a very good looking outfit and it looks like it shoots straight good job....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Project: Long Distance Plan - by Rem 700 5R Mils Spec Barrel

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    That is a very good looking outfit and it looks like it shoots straight good job.

I have the exact same rifle you do, picked one up last year. I have only been shooting 175 gr. Gold Match so far with similar results as yours. I had 2shots through the same hole and another five in a 3/4" circle around the two in the center after getting it dialed in, all at 100 yards. I haven't done anything out farther yet. Unfortunately, you have a much nicer scope than I do. Maybe I can use some of my tax return for an upgrade. The 5R Mil Spec is a great bargain for what it does. It's extremely accurate right out of the box and actually has a darn nice trigger from the factory.
    NRA Life Member

Wow - that's what I call a tight group!

Can you run the target out to 400 yards or more to see what man and machine are capable of?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wow - that's what I call a tight group!

Can you run the target out to 400 yards or more to see what man and machine are capable of?
    Smitty I can already tell you the machine has me beat hands down....for now. I am very fortunate to have a 1K yd range within easy driving distance (60 miles). Link This weekend I already have plans with my brother to meet at an outdoor range in Lakeland which is only 100 yds max, but I will be going in the coming weeks to the Manatee Gun Club and start stretching it out. I'd planned to start at 300 but I'm pretty sure I'll likely hit (pun intended) 400 yds on the same trip. They have the following distances:100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 565 & 1000 yard ranges.

I'm curious, do any of you guys know why they would have 565 yds? Is there a specifica match or metric equivalent ?

ETA: I have a couple of ballistics apps for my iPhone that I am looking forward to check out. iSnipe (more pedestrian) and Ballistic. They both use the ballistic engine.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Nice looking stick!

I'm working on a similar setup with the SPS AAC SD action/barrel. I Was just going to pick up a set of the low rings from Millett at Optics Planet when I get my LRS1 back from Bushnell, but I'll take a look at the Vortex rings.

Who's stock is that?

I was looking at the Wyatt mag assembly also for future upgrade.

Again, I look forward to your report on your set up.
    LUVMY40 - thanks!

The link below is a good writeup/eval of this model. I extracted the section about the stock, see below.

Remington 700 Milspec 5R - Sniper Central

The stock is a HS Precision stock that is actually a little different than the 700P and Varmint Synthetic (VS) stocks. The most noticeable difference is that the milspec stock has a green speckling over the black and while visually it is hard to even notice, it does provide some added gripping friction while in use, and yet it is another unique thing to help the milspec be a little different than the normal Remington.
    rolyat63

565 yards? Doesn't really line up with any known reference. My guess is that the range has some natural feature like an enormous boulder or swamp at that distance. Too expensive to do anything about it, so just hang a target there and call it a known distance...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    565 yards? Doesn't really line up with any known reference. My guess is that the range has some natural feature like an enormous boulder or swamp at that distance. Too expensive to do anything about it, so just hang a target there and call it a known distance...
    Well my son and I finally got out to the 1k range. What a hoot. He has not shot over a hundred yards but was doing very well at 300 yds all morning. Just before leaving we took a target (2' x 2') out to the 565 yd position (a natural feature, see link below they've added a annotated satellite shot). We went back and my son and daughter were shooting the 300 yd targets and just ripping the centers out of the 6" bull. I took a 4 shot run after running the scope up for the 265 yd increase. The attached photo with the finger pointing at the top shows about a 5" spread of the four hits at 565 yards. The difference is just a little less than half a mil at that range.

We had fun and I have a lot more to learn but looks like I can get started at the 565 mark. They have a training just to the right of the targets at that range that one of the range regulars referred to as "the mirage board".

It was a horizontal board several feet long with alternating black and white boxes like the boys on mythbusters use when they shoot with the high speed. I googled it several ways but could find anything. Anyone ever hear of something like this?

SateliteView

IMG_0069.jpg565ydShotGroup.jpg
    rolyat63

700 is a fine rifle. I have one of the m24's put away 308. used one for a bit in the Army years back. Was not sniper but others do get to use them from time to time it is a weapon that will reach out and hit the target.

This article is pretty good about mirage itself: Reading Mirage

Long Range BPCR and Mirage

This one mentions the mirage board: Mirage Board for USBR - Benchrest talk and discussions - Rimfire Shooting
    And seems to say what I figured it was for. The contrast on the board makes the mirage easier to see and read.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buckeye thanks for the links. That sounds like it makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rolyat63

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Buckeye thanks for the links. That sounds like it makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure thing, I got to learn something too as I found them.

Now try to stretch that a bit beyond 565 yards if you can, it should be good for a few hundred more.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Another range report for the MilSpec Remington 700.

I changed from the Federal GMM 168 gn to 175 gn to get out a little longer. I don't have any pictures but the son confirmed hits on the 1k plate with the spotting scope. The pictures below are from his hitting a quarter on the second shot at three hundred yards. He stuck it to the target with gum (looks like silly putty in the photo). You can just see the first just miss at the 3 O'clock position. It's partially covered by the gum that must have squeezed on the impact. You can see the imprint of the quarter in the gum. We didn't think we would find it but the plastic backer board and I suspect the 2100 FPS velocity helped. The pictures of the target are how we found it.

The really impressive part was that the wind was crazy. We head a 3-5 MPH headwind from the muzzle out to about 100 yards. Then we had gust of 12-15 MPH (mostly full windsock) varying from 125 to 90 degrees (cross).

That 5R is a tac driver. Next trip of we can get the golf cart out to 800 or 1k we'll place a target out there. Oh anhd I have to start reloading, ouch.

Quarter.jpgQuarter2.JPGQuarter3.jpg

Balistics Input Parameters
    .308 Custom Projectile 175gr
    BC Bullet Weight Muzzle Velocity Zero Range Sight Height LOS Angle
    0.505 G1 175gr 2600 300 2.1 in 0

Altitude Pressure Temp RH Wind Velocity Wind Angle
    66.0 30.12 Hg. 69.1 F 59% 12.0 125
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    rolyat63

Here is mine Rem 700 SP 308 with CDN bottom metal and ACI magazines the scope is a Vortex 6.5x24 FFP with 30 mil rings. I have shot out to 1000 yards two times but only have pictures of one of those times. Rounds are hand loaded with 178 Hornaday A-max bullets. have average muzzle velocity of 2200 FPS chronographed.

P9254449.jpg
    The Remmington 700

P9254460.jpg
    Showing the mag and scope

100_0231 (Small).JPG
    The 1000 yard target through the spotting scope

100_0232 (Small).JPG
    The 1000 Yard target Circled hits are mine.

Target2.jpg
    My last 200 yard shots. Longest shot I can take on my own property.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Oh, how I miss those 300 yard shots at E. WA rockchucks with my el cheapo Rem 788 in .223. Some of the most fun hunting I ever did!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links