Rem 700 SPS / Millett- chin weld vs cheek weld

This is a discussion on Rem 700 SPS / Millett- chin weld vs cheek weld within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My long range shooter: Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308 Millett 6-25 LRS 35mm tube 56mm objective Originally put this together about a year ago. The ...

Thread: Rem 700 SPS / Millett- chin weld vs cheek weld

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Rem 700 SPS / Millett- chin weld vs cheek weld

My long range shooter:
    Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308
    Millett 6-25 LRS 35mm tube 56mm objective

Originally put this together about a year ago. The Millett scope included a set of rings that seemed to be rather well made. However, they were so tall (1.635") that it was extremely difficult to get a consistent sight picture. The best three shot grouping with the "chin" weld was .551" @ 100yds.

After a considerable amount of research, I found that the original Millett rings were only 1" high. After 20 min on hold at Bushnell (the current owner of Millett), it was confirmed that ring production had been moved to China and there are presently no other rings available from Bushnell.

We did agree that something was lost in translation with regard to how to measure ring height. The Chinese rings had been measured from the bottom of the tube bore instead of the center line.

So the hunt was on for a quality set of rings that didn't cost darn near as much as the scope. Enter Seekins Precision, a small shop where the owner (Glen Seekins) still answers the phone. We determined that their 35mm low (.95") rings should be the solution. Ordered and received in short order. What I hadn't taken into consideration was that these rings are made to fit a picatinny rail not the Weaver that was installed. So another call to Seekins for the matching base.

I now have everything back together and ready for a range trip. While I haven't been able to shoot it yet, the weapon shoulders with a consistent sight picture and "cheek weld" every time.
    Attached Images
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

2. Remove Ads

I am currently waiting for my SPS Tactical AAC-SD to arrive, and I am planning on buying a LRS-1. Are you happy with your scope? Does it track well? How much were the seekins rings? Thank you!! Sorry for bringing up such an old thread

Need Help Quick!!

I was reading your post, and I have just purchased the same Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308, and I purchased a Sightmark 6-25x56mm for it as well. It has a 35mm tube, and I have a weaver rail on the gun. I would like to not have to purchase a picatinny rail, so I was wondering if you could let me know what height rings I should buy for the weaver rail and who they are made by? Like your millett, the ones I purchased were just too high, and I want the scope low enough to slip a dollar bill under it. Could you maybe tell me what size I should go with? Thank you, much appreciated!!

Merry Christmas and welcome to the Forum.

The rings from Seekins are .95" tall. Unfortunately, they will not fit a Weaver rail and I couldn't any 35mm that would at the correct height. The rail & rings from Seekins are first rate products at a reasonable price and the service was exceptional. Ck the link in my original post and enjoy the new rifle.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated. I will most likely use the same rings and mounts as you did with your SPS. Merry Christmas!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I don't have a tactical Remington but I set my 700 with bull barell ,bipods and I use low power wide angle scope and I can
    put 3 rounds in a inch box at 100 yards using regular ammo. This is the only rifle of mine that will not see stell casings shells.
    I set it up for shooting coy dogs ,coyotes as in years past they been way to comfortable coming up in the back yard.

another question

also, i found some cheaper rings and bases for the 35mm, and i was curious as to whether weaver rings could fit a picatinny rail... is that possible? i would think it would be but i would like to know whether you can attach the two together...thanks everyone for the input!!

Weaver will mount on picatinny. Picatinny will not mount on weaver.

oops

my bad i meant would millett rings mount on a weaver rail??... my bad please let me know... thanks!

I have a 700 in 7mm mag - ditch the rail - unless you are looking for quick removal or change.

I just use rings (leupold rings) you can get the height just right and they are solid.
    My 4-12x50MM scope has just enough room to pull a thin rag under for cleaning.

Been on 4-wheelers over the badlands, two trips to alaska in the bush/raft for weeks and even dropped out of a tree stand ( Walnut stock cracked - gave me an excuse for a new composite )
    Never had a problem with this setup durring more trips than I can count & still groups in on target fitting 3-4 under a quarter @100 yrds.

my bad i meant would millett rings mount on a weaver rail??... my bad please let me know... thanks!
    YES

I have a 700 in 7mm mag - ditch the rail - unless you are looking for quick removal or change.

I just use rings (Leupold rings) you can get the height just right and they are solid.
    My 4-12x50MM scope has just enough room to pull a thin rag under for cleaning.
    The scopes we are discussing have 35mm tubes severely limiting the availability of rings. All require a rail (Weaver/Picatinny).

Links