Tough choice of plinkers - Page 2

Tough choice of plinkers

This is a discussion on Tough choice of plinkers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i got a 22A I've put over 20,000 rounds thru it,I think somewhere right around 20,000 I had to replace the firing pin after it ...

View Poll Results: Which .22 auto should I get?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson 22A

7 9.21%
  • Ruger 22/45

37 48.68%
  • Beretta Neos

10 13.16%
  • Browning Buckmark

22 28.95%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tough choice of plinkers

i got a 22A I've put over 20,000 rounds thru it,I think somewhere right around 20,000 I had to replace the firing pin after it broke,still shooting good today
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That's good to know. Not only do I like its price, but the 22A definitely looks the best out of the bunch. Silly, I know.

I have both the SW 22A and the Beretta Neos. Both are fun to shoot and dependable but I give the nod to the Neos even though it's ugly as all get out. My Neos has a much better trigger than the Smith.

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger Mark II. Other than being a PITA to breakdown for cleaning, I'd still stick with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have a Ruger Mark II. Other than being a PITA to breakdown for cleaning, I'd still stick with it.
    Nope! While I'm leaning towards the familiar 22/45 which is nearly identical, my best friend has a MkII and I possitively loath the butt-plate magazine release. That's an automatic no-go for me.
    I was first looking at the Neos, but then I read something about a recall. Probably not an issue to worry about, but what stopped me dead was the negative reviews I read about the uber slow service on them.
    The Smith became my next choice, because (drum roll for dramatic effect) it would be my first Smith & Wesson. And nobody can read this forum for very long without S&W taking on an aura of legendary awesomeness!
    It helps that the only Smith I've ever shot was a butter-smooth 44 magnum.
    The Buckmark has a solid enough reputation, but it's unfamiliar to me.
    Which leave the familiar pain-to-clean 22/45. My old one vanished years ago just before I moved. (shady neighborhood, shifty landlord, even shiftier building manager, take your pick) I reported it stolen, but you can probably guess how motivated they were to track down a .22. No I didn't have a safe. I didn't have the benefit of forums like this one to guide me.
    Anyways, I have 2 mags for it starting out.
    There seems to be more aftermarket stuff available for it.
    There a youtube videos now to guide me through the maintanence of it, which didn't exist back in the day.
    And I already know me "manual of arms" nearly as well as my trusty Glock.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy W View Post
    What about the Walther P22. http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/WhiteBIrdTN/P22QIL.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
    I have this gun. Maybe I just have had bad luck, and certainly I bought one of the early versions, but although many people really really like it, and it does shoot OK as a fun plinker, I've had the following problems:

1) Must be certain you don't have the original design magazine which didn't work well. No doubt gun manufactured recently have that problem solved. I think they are on the 3rd redesign of the magazine.

2) Safety operates backwards from the way a 1911 does; annoying.

3) Tricky to reassemble guide rod and spring after cleaning. Maybe newer versions have this problem solved, I don't know. It isn't a big deal once you get used to doing it, but it is a pain the first few times.

4) Ammo finicky. It really doesn't do well unless you feed it something like the MiniMags or Stingers. Won't cycle slide well.

5) I've not been happy with the DA/SA. The SA operation is great but getting off that first shot DA sometimes the hammer drops but the gun won't fire.

Mine is probably 8 ish years old, so hopefully the new ones have all those issues except the upside down safety sorted out.

I don't have the 22/45 model but I do have a Mark III Bull Barrel target model. It is a chore to clean and reassemble but has performed well for me.

Which grip angle matches your carry gun the closest?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've had two Ruger Mk II's. One was a 5.5 inch stainless bull barrel and the other was the 6 7/8 slabside stainless. Got rid of both of them although they functioned flawlessly. I not so long ago had another 5.5 inch bull barrel Mk III. It worked flawlessly also. I figured out long ago how to take the Ruger's apart and put them back to together. Once you do it several times, it becomes easy. Ruger makes a very reliable .22

That being said, I've been thinking lately of getting a Browning Buckmark Micro. The one with the rubber finger grooved grip.. Don't remember the exact model name. I've been up in the air between that and the Ruger 22/45 with the blued slabside barrel. Only problem with the Ruger is that the sights are not adjustable and there seems to be a problem with the rear sight drifting to one side on that model. The Buckmark has adjustable target sights, but is $100 more. I know Ruger makes a short bull barrel with the target sights, but is about the same price as the Buckmark.

I've had several Ruger's before and they seem hard to hold on target for me.. Something about the balance or weight. I like their reliability and I have no problem taking them apart to clean them. I'm just thinking about trying something different this time.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Which grip angle matches your carry gun the closest?
    Good question, actually. Which tells me I possibly should have included a conversion kit in my list. After all, that WOULD be the closest match. As a bonus they appear to be keeping up with demand FINALLY, so I should be able to actually get one, instead of the 18 month waiting list they used to have. And .22 mags are comparable in price .

I have the 22A,urs a good plinker but I prefer the grips on the Ruger and I've had a few issues with my 22A,when I pull back the slide it feels kinda rough,not as smooth as the slide on my Ruger. also I think my 22A may have a bur somewhere because occasionaly when I pull the slide back it will only travel abour 1/4 inch and then locks up,it shoots fine at the range,I'm just not sure what the issue is with mine.

All choices are great for 22 plinking but cleaning is such a big part. I personally find Rugers way to much work to clean. Neo's and Browning's are simple. Never had the Smith. What is extremely fun for 22 plinking is the Ruger single 6 Wheel gun with a cylinder for 22 and another for 22 magnum. Now that is a fun plinker!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I qualified with a Buckmark and fell in love with it. I bought one the 1st chance I found one and have 0 regrets. I also bought a Ruger 22/45 for the Mrs. and sorry to say it was a lemon. Mag wouldn't stay in the thing (tried several), picky about what amo it would eat (FTF/FTE), and an all around disappointment. I have to say the 22/45 was a poor choice to break the Mrs. in on shooting. It did teach her very well about range rules when dealing with a jammed gun on the firing line however. I did give the thing a chance, thinking it needed broke in. But alas after 300 rnds and multiple cleanings, my 1st impression that it was a POS was correct. I traded it off on another deal.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

I love my Neos. It's great fun to shoot, and cleaning is a breeze.

Lewis 128, Might want to check Guns and Ammo magazine. Just looked at one at the book store and odly enough they have the same choices in their to read and compare. That might help or maybe that is where you got the four choices you have.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links