Tough choice of plinkers

This is a discussion on Tough choice of plinkers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Years ago I went with the Buckmark over the Ruger, if I were to pick up another .22 pistol today I'd get the S&W 22a ...

View Poll Results: Which .22 auto should I get?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson 22A

7 9.21%
  • Ruger 22/45

37 48.68%
  • Beretta Neos

10 13.16%
  • Browning Buckmark

22 28.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tough choice of plinkers

sgb
    Years ago I went with the Buckmark over the Ruger, if I were to pick up another .22 pistol today I'd get the S&W 22a as it's a good bang for the buck.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CDFT View Post
    Is there anything particularly wrong with the 22A? To say it is underperforming in the poll is a bit of an understatement. It seems to be the cheapest in the poll, but is there anything that prevents it from being a good practice gun? I'm looking to get into handgunning and need something to practice on so my targets look more grouped and less patterned.
    Nope. Excellent gun. I have well over 1,000 rounds through mine, and it's functioning fine. It can be a bit picky about ammo, it really like Blazer and Wildcats. Blazers seem to shoot the cleanest, so that's my main choice of ammo. Accurate out to about 100 yards if you can use some Kentucky Windage. I've taken a moving porcupine at about 75 yards hitting it on the 2nd shot. The trigger is nice and smooth, though a bit light for my liking.

There are a lot of good .22 pistols out there, and I only chose the 22A because I've always been a fan of S&W. Good customer service and a lifetime warranty. Go to a gun shop and handle a few different ones. Chances are you'll find one that feels perfect in your hand. For me that was the 22A, but for you it could be a Ruger, a Neos, a Buckmark or any other pistol there. If you find one you like, go home and do some research. I read a lot of bad stuff about the 22A, but found that most people enjoyed them and the problems could be explained by poor quality ammo or lack of maintenance.

Well, if anyone is interested, I opted for the Ruger. Nothing wrong with the others, but it's very familiar, and I LIKE familiar. I went with a new look this time though. My old 22/45 was a blued 4.5" bull barrel. This is the stock photo from Davidson's that I picked.

the down-side, I believe my old magazines may be obsolete. When I know for sure, I'll offer them here first. I'm thinking $20 + postage for the pair. They're still in working condition though closer examination revealed light rusting. But still a fair deal if anyone has the MKII version of the 22/45.

I like the S&W. The trigger and sights are very good. The grip feels 'normal' to me. Cleaning is easy, and mine even feeds the cheapest 22LR ammo quite well.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I like the S&W. The trigger and sights are very good. The grip feels 'normal' to me. Cleaning is easy, and mine even feeds the cheapest 22LR ammo quite well.
    I almost got one. The day I went to the shop, they had just sold their last one, and I didn't want to order one that day, I wanted to check the other shops in town to see what I could find.

Is there anything wrong, especially with the 22A article? Said it was poor performance in the survey is an understatement bit. It seems to be the cheapest in the survey, but what a good way to prevent gun?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links