Wife's Friend Found Random Firearm??? - Page 2

Wife's Friend Found Random Firearm???

This is a discussion on Wife's Friend Found Random Firearm??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TedBeau What surprised me is that she did go home before calling the store. She's not an anti by any means. She ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wife's Friend Found Random Firearm???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    What surprised me is that she did go home before calling the store. She's not an anti by any means. She has gotten a deer rifle as a christmas gift before. She doesn't hunt any more but is an avid fisherwoman. I have gone out on her boat with her, and she ties her own fly fishing ties.
    I should call her and tell her to get a hold of the police to tell them if no one claims the gun and they can't trace it to a legal owner that she wants it. I don't know what it is, but hey why not claim it.
    I'd leave her alone and stay out of it. She made her own decision to do it a certain way. You can't possibly know what she was thinking and why she made that choice. It was not an unreasonable choice. More than likely the store does not know who called and told them about the gun. She probably wants it that way.

Everyone should be happy now. The gun is off the street. It is probably in the hands of the police. The "store's liability problem" is solved, the public safety issue is solved, and your friend has preserved her anonymity.

She doesn't need a gun which was likely used in a crime or stolen to be used in a crime. Let her mind her own business and let the police deal with disposal or destruction of it. By coming forward to file a claim over something maybe worthless, maybe worth 150 bucks on a retail market, she will expose herself to a lot of scrutiny and trouble. Unless it is really a high value gun, it isn't worth the personal trouble.
    joker1 and BaconHunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'd leave her alone and stay out of it. She made her own decision to do it a certain way. You can't possibly know what she was thinking and why she made that choice. It was not an unreasonable choice. More than likely the store does not know who called and told them about the gun. She probably wants it that way.

Everyone should be happy now. The gun is off the street. It is probably in the hands of the police. The "store's liability problem" is solved, the public safety issue is solved, and your friend has preserved her anonymity.

She doesn't need a gun which was likely used in a crime or stolen to be used in a crime. Let her mind her own business and let the police deal with disposal or destruction of it. By coming forward to file a claim over something maybe worthless, maybe worth 150 bucks on a retail market, she will expose herself to a lot of scrutiny and trouble. Unless it is really a high value gun, it isn't worth the personal trouble.
    I agree 100% with the above. I know I wouldn't want a gun that might be linked to a crime. Whether I legally obtained it or not wouldn't matter. High dollar gun or not, that's just bad mojo.

I agree she should have notified the store manager and/or even called 911 to report the find to prevent some kid from picking it up. It probably was ditched by some criminal and the police should have been notified immediately. Even if it hadn't been used in a crime, don't leave it unattended and run the risk that some kid might find it.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I agree 100% with the above. I know I wouldn't want a gun that might be linked to a crime. Whether I legally obtained it or not wouldn't matter. High dollar gun or not, that's just bad mojo.
    I suppose your right, if she contacts the police, they now have her information and it's possible the criminal or owner might be able to get this information. If there were a trial I suppose she could end up being subpoenaed.

From the sound of it it may have been a drop off that someone was supposed to pick up at some point. I would probably of tried to be anonymous about it as well( Though maybe sat in my car to watch and make sure it was taken care of). No need to make yourself a target in a situation klike this

The most likely way to know.... is if the gun shows up as stolen or not. That would say a lot.

I would not have left it unattended so some kid could go " hey mommy ... look at this ".

I would have called the police and waited for them to arrive and take possession of the gun. I wouldn't even let the store owner / mgr touch it until they were there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links