Misfire/hangfire at range -- procedure?

Misfire/hangfire at range -- procedure?

This is a discussion on Misfire/hangfire at range -- procedure? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Long ago, I had someone teach me to keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction in instances of a misfire/hangfire, since there could well ...

Thread: Misfire/hangfire at range -- procedure?

Question Misfire/hangfire at range -- procedure?

Long ago, I had someone teach me to keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction in instances of a misfire/hangfire, since there could well be a delayed reaction with the primer that causes the bullet to go off a bit late. I have personally experienced a handful of delayed-firings across ~80K rounds the past 15yrs. Rare, but it happens.

Yesterday at the indoor range, a guy on the last lane was having misfires every 4 of 5 rounds. His procedure was to slap the gun with his off hand, then quickly eject the round and keep going. When I asked him his rationale and how he knew the primer would never go off, he said: "... because I just know. These specific types of misfire won't become a hangfire." Never did get a completely lucid reply from him.

Question: What about that? Is this guy correct to suggest that specific varieties of misfires cannot lead to a late primer firing? What are the facts, here?

For me, this guy's "procedure" goes completely counter to all safety training I've ever had. Sounds like a fine idea for picking up some time at an IPSC/IDPA competition, but it sounds particularly unsafe as an everyday safety protocol. That said, I'd certainly rack the slide and clear the round in a street situation, no doubt about it. But we're talking about an indoor pistol range, here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Unless he knew he had dud rounds as in purposely loaded duds with no primer or a used one then yeah i would call what he was doing unsafe...

You cant know if your going to have a hang fire or not

Assistant Administrator
    With modern centerfire ammo, a hangfire if it is going to occur should be a very short delay - possibly even shorter than the time it takes to eject and reload.

Trouble is there is no guarantee - but OTOH, and certainly if under pressure, there is no way anyone can wait the suggested 30 seconds!

An individual has to weight up the risks and of course too - should it occur then a round is unconfined and will not be a hand grenade even tho not desirable to be close at hand.

Most hangfires, the classic types - occur with old chlorate primers like .303 and old 8mm etc - when the delay can be very noticeable but - out of all of those I have had with milsurp ammo - never has one delayed more than say 100 msec.

Some claim a misfire with .22 should be treated more carefully - again never had an issue.

If on range time allows and if folks nearby then it would be sensible to give some delay beforre clearing and reloading - but on my own I will usually be relatively quick about it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Trouble is there is no guarantee
    That's what I thought. I'm all for tap-rack-bang when under fire, and all for the philosophy of practicing what you shoot to ingrain muscle memory. But given that I've experienced a few myself, I just can't see any gains to be had on a range with others standing nearby.

Anyway. Thanks.

While my PD is training and we are at the range no matter what the problem if there is a misfire we have to do the tap-rack-bang. However when it is just me and my wife or some friends at the range unless we are practicing this type of procedure we do not clear the misfire this way. we keep the gun down range and clear it in a safer manner.

I've been doing a lot of single action revolver shooting lately in cowboy action matches. I've seen a few misfires but the procedure the competitors follow is to just keep on firing until the unfired round comes back around and HOPE that it goes off on the 2nd hit.
    Even though we're talking about single action revolvers, some folks can shoot'em reeeeeeeal fast. Semi-auto fast.

I've wondered what would happen if it was a hangfire and the round fired after that chamber had passed by the forcing cone, or even while still partially behind it. Would it splatter against the side of the gun? Would it spit it out in two pieces? So far, it's anyones guess.

After swearing for a couple seconds and curse the gun/ ammo with my standard stream of profanity for a while, it is usually safe to eject round. I dump mag, eject round, look at it and curse it once more as I throw it downrange. Then insert mag, rack and continue.

I had a misfire once, hangfire to be exact. I kept the muzzle downrange, thankfully, and then it fired. Of course adding insult to injury, it started to slamfire and eat up a couple of rounds before I could dump the mag. It fired about 4 rounds before I could clear the gun. We called a cease fire and made sure everyone was alright. Didn't shoot the gun anymore that day. Took it to smith and got it worked out.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    I had a misfire once, hangfire to be exact. I kept the muzzle downrange, thankfully, and then it fired. Of course adding insult to injury, it started to slamfire and eat up a couple of rounds before I could dump the mag. It fired about 4 rounds before I could clear the gun.
    A hangfire that cooked off four subsequent rounds???

Links