44 mag revolver (new or used)

This is a discussion on 44 mag revolver (new or used) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can't deside. Plan on owning for 20+ years of hunting. So that is around 3 weeks a year max. Then again, pleanty of opportunities to ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Herknav
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: 44 mag revolver (new or used)

44 mag revolver (new or used)

Can't deside. Plan on owning for 20+ years of hunting. So that is around 3 weeks a year max. Then again, pleanty of opportunities to shoot year round just for pleasure.

So buy new and pay the price

-or-

Buy used, and buy possible problems
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Used is a good bet after all if you choose a Ruger they are built like tanks. As far as the S&W Model 29 many people bought them due to the Dirty Harry movies and after firing only a few rounds decided that was too much of a handful. Myself I would go with either, as they are both fine weapons and rarely have any problems even after lots of rounds.
    oneshot likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm fine with used. As MSgt said, most people don't put that many rounds through one. Having said that, this is a long-term purchase for you. Get what you want.
    oneshot likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I don't see much of a difference between a new one and a used one that has careful care...OMO
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Model 29 made in 1980 and it looks and shoots like new. Depends on what you get.

I hunted whitetail deer for several years with a scoped Ruger Super Blackhawk - took my first deer that way. My advice: don't just take it out for deer season - the kick from hunting loads is something you will need to get used to... you want to get in a fair bit of target practice between hunting seasons.

If you find what you really want used, don't let the fact that its used disuade you. Otherwise, go new and get what you really want.
    oneshot likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It is hard to beat the original and the best, the Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum.

If I was in the market for an additional .44 Magnum to add to the menagerie I'd get another Model 29. It would be one made before locks, 2-piece barrels, ugly frame lugs, frame-mounted firing pins, and the wretched Lock, thus necessitating purchase of a used revolver. No big deal as it's easy to determine if a revolver is beat or has a lot of life left in it.

The classic Smith & Wesson Model 29 is a very accurate revolver, possessing a smooth action and the best trigger one can imagine. It is a very gratifying revolver to use.

I purchased my Model 29 new in 1980, same as Chada above, did. Lots of Model 29s purchased didn't actually see much use but this one has. Yeah, one hears the tired and trite old cliche about Rugers being "built like tanks" but this Model 29 saw a heavy competition schedule in hunter pistol silhouettes in 1980, '81,' 82, and '83 with lots of practice sessions at the gun club range in between. All competition and practice ammunition used a handload consisting of 240 grain jacketed bullets and a heavy charge of H 110. It also saw a lot of handload experimentation with various powders, run up to maximum listed loads, using bullets of various weights. It's only been hunting a few times and has taken a couple of whitetail deer.

It has been reliable and has never given a peep of trouble. These days it still sees regular range time with mild charges of Unique and a cast lead bullet but some full-powered loads are always kept on hand for others to shoot or for occasions when the mood strikes me.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; April 16th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
    wmhawth and oneshot like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Same here,with 1000+ rounds through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chada View Post
    I have a Model 29 made in 1980 and it looks and shoots like new. Depends on what you get.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

It is hard to beat the original and the best, the Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum.

If I was in the market for an additional .44 Magnum to add to the menagerie I'd get another Model 29. It would be one made before locks, 2-piece barrels, ugly frame lugs, frame-mounted firing pins, and the wretched Lock, thus necessitating purchase of a used revolver. No big deal as it's easy to determine if a revolver is beat or has a lot of life left in it.
    Can't say it better than is quoted above from bmcgilvray's post. I did buy mine new back in the 1980s and to my everlasting regret I sold it and haven't owned one since. The buyer of course got an excellent "used" model 29.

thxs 4 replies. also thxs 4 remionder about the lock. might be a reason to buy new for that reason alone
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk, I wouldn't have to think twice about snapping up one that had been used (but not abused).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have no problem buying used. My .44 magnum was used when I bought it and I have never had a problem. I purchased for the same reason as you. Just check it out carefully.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links