Interesting call from a student... - Page 2

Interesting call from a student...

This is a discussion on Interesting call from a student... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I can one up that. Just yesterday, I had a dingle berry insisting that I file vandalism charges on a lady ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Interesting call from a student...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can one up that. Just yesterday, I had a dingle berry insisting that I file vandalism charges on a lady whose dog crapped in his yard while they walked by. (and, she even returned a few minutes later to clean it up)
    And you just can't shoot them, eh, Sixto?!?

Kind of like comedian Ron White getting tossed out of the bar. Then accused of public intoxication. He said, "Arrest them, THEY threw me into public!"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

LEOs have to deal with so much stupid in society...I just give them my license and answer whatever question and try to make their job, day, and life a little easier so they are quick to realize I'm not part of the stupid. They seem to appreciate that and treat me accordingly. Never a problem of any kind. Always polite and appreciative of my approach. If I was speeding, I deserve a ticket...not their fault.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    While it may seem "funny" to n outsider looking in, there is a rhyme and reason behind the process. Typically, an LEO knows what will fly in court and what will sink before it even gets there. They know what is a complete waste of time and what is worthwhile. If I had a dime for every time somebody demanded or recommended what charge should be filed that was absolutely wrong or not near enough evidence to support it, I'd be retired already.
    That's all well and good, but that isn't the case in my situation. These people have made numerous false complaints about my shooting or threatening them with a gun or whatever other stupid thing they can come up with to use the Sheriff's Department as a means of harassment. In that particular instance, I asked him to go find my bullets or inform them of the repercussions of filing a false report (yes they DID put it in writing), and he refused, but proceeded to threaten me with a Public Nuisance ticket. I think that, along with their history of other false reports made, should have been enough to charge them, right?

You know what his reasoning was for the Public Nuisance ticket? I knew shooting bothered my neighbors but I did it anyway. Sound like he knows what he's doing? I sure don't think that fits the legal definition of Public Nuisance. I told him that they knew I didn't like them living next to me but they do it anyway, so was he going to give them a Public Nuisance ticket for that? He didn't seem to like that one.

Every situation is different, and you shouldn't automatically assume that someone is wrong about wanting charges filed against someone else. Not all LEO's are knowledgeable. Quite the opposite, in fact. I will admit that some of them are very knowledgeable about the legal process, but my experience is that most aren't. I don't know how many times I've seen charges filed simply because the officer was in a bad mood. Heck, I've seen both parties charged with completely unrelated charges, just for inconveniencing the deputy.

Don't mistake this for cop bashing. My Dad was in law enforcement for over 20 years. I have the utmost respect for officers that are decent. The ones that aren't decent don't deserve the time of day though, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links