Interesting call from a student...

This is a discussion on Interesting call from a student... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seems he was on his way home from the National Guard when he got into a bit of an altercation with another driver. Flipped each ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Interesting call from a student...

Interesting call from a student...

Seems he was on his way home from the National Guard when he got into a bit of an altercation with another driver. Flipped each other the bird and called each other names then went on his way only to be followed by the other driver for awhile. (Yes I told him he should not have exchanged words to begin with, he should have just driven off since no damage was done. That was covered in class too but apparently in the heat of the moment he forgot.) After awhile he turns off and the other guy drives on. Soon he is surrounded by cop cars and is ordered out of his truck. The other guy apparently called the cops and reported he threatened him with a gun. Cops asked if he was carrying which he wasn't. Asked if he had one in the truck which he didn't. They cuff him and proceed to search his truck and find nothing. No permission was asked for or given. Eventually send him on his way. I told him he should call the police and find out if they charged the other drive as he apparently made a false report.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Best to stay out of as many of these as possible, they can only cause you grief!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would be poushing for a false report charge against the guy. He did it maliciously in order to cause him problems, and that's not what the police are there for. He wasted their time going on that call, and he should have to reimburse the dept financially for the false report. IF they don't, he'll do it again.

Now, if he had been CC and had a gun on him, imagine where that would have gone.

I was recently "followed" for an unknown reason, and I intentionally took some turns, etc. and they even followed when I back-tracked my path. So, I did a loop on them and was then behind them.... got their tag # , etc. and was ready to report it. I didn't , but if the same car does it again, it will be.
    msgt/ret and RemMod597 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

911 might get contact info and a number, but that does not mean he did not lie about it. About half the calls I have made on the road I have given a call back number. E911 might be able to get a cell number, not sure though. Would be nice to turn the tables on him.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    When you play games, sometimes you lose. Stop playing games would be my advice.
    RMS, RemMod597, jwhite75 and 2 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    When you play games, sometimes you lose. Stop playing games would be my advice.
    Absolutely. Said another way, when you find your self in a hole, the most important thing is to stop digging!

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

When on the road, expect that you will encounter raging idiots. Do nothing to encite them because nothing good will come from it. Give people plenty of room, let tail gaters go on by, and don't use hand gestures. Just smile, wave, and go on your way. Nothing that happens on the road is worth the potential bad outcomes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Road rage incidents seldom end well, his apparently didn't either. At the very least however it did not become deadly. Best thing to do is let the moron who is conducting it to just rage and go on. Any reciprocation of "gestures" or vocalization will just escalate the situation and make it much worse. It is tempting however to flip off the offender but, they do not feel they have done anything wrong and will just go nuts to prove their point.

The only way I'd even engage in one is if the rager has not moved on, keeps making an effort to confront me or has put me into a position that I have no other choice. That is when me and Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson will have to end the incident.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    Meanwhile if you ARE legally carrying a firearm and you trade words and fingers...it is considered to be escalating the confrontation on your part.
    Expect your finger to come back & bite you if the situation evolves into the use of deadly force.
    jwhite75 and RMS like this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Stupid people playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Folks, he knows he did wrong by engaging in the finger and name calling game. He was taught this in class and I reminded him of this when we talked. What I would point out for discussion is first, did the police have the right to search his vehicle? Should they have asked permission? And what if anything should happen to the guy who called it in and apparently lied?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Folks, he knows he did wrong by engaging in the finger and name calling game. He was taught this in class and I reminded him of this when we talked. What I would point out for discussion is first, did the police have the right to search his vehicle? Should they have asked permission? And what if anything should happen to the guy who called it in and apparently lied?
    My experience has been that LEO's very seldom will charge for making a false complaint. My neighbors have called repeatedly about me shooting at their propane tanks and such, when I was shooting the complete opposite direction at a completely safe range on my own property. In fact, I was even told that if I continued to shoot there that I would be given a "Public Nuisance" ticket.

LEO's can be very funny about charges. Seems there's no real reason behind it, just depends on what kind of mood they're in.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Stupid people playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.
    LOL, I like that. I just might borrow that in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post

LEO's can be very funny about charges. Seems there's no real reason behind it, just depends on what kind of mood they're in.
    While it may seem "funny" to n outsider looking in, there is a rhyme and reason behind the process. Typically, an LEO knows what will fly in court and what will sink before it even gets there. They know what is a complete waste of time and what is worthwhile. If I had a dime for every time somebody demanded or recommended what charge should be filed that was absolutely wrong or not near enough evidence to support it, I'd be retired already.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    If I had a dime for every time somebody demanded or recommended what charge should be filed that was absolutely wrong or not near enough evidence to support it, I'd be retired already.
    Truth.

Just last weekend I had a guy want to file aggravated assault charges on a guy that cut him off at the gas station. They got into words and the guy that cut him off flipped him off. That ticked him off so he called the cops. I spent awhile telling him that flipping someone off was not aggravated assault...at least not in this part of the country. At least not yet. With all these momma's boys running around getting their feelings hurt at some point in time it may be aggravated assault...or even assault with a deadly weapon by pointing a finger at them like it was a pistol.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Truth.

Just last weekend I had a guy want to file aggravated assault charges on a guy that cut him off at the gas station. They got into words and the guy that cut him off flipped him off. That ticked him off so he called the cops. I spent awhile telling him that flipping someone off was not aggravated assault...at least not in this part of the country. At least not yet. With all these momma's boys running around getting their feelings hurt at some point in time it may be aggravated assault...or even assault with a deadly weapon by pointing a finger at them like it was a pistol.
    I can one up that. Just yesterday, I had a dingle berry insisting that I file vandalism charges on a lady whose dog crapped in his yard while they walked by. (and, she even returned a few minutes later to clean it up)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links