Supressor help

Supressor help

This is a discussion on Supressor help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm interested in buying a supressor for one of my guns but not sure where to start. I know I have to pay $200 transfer ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: Supressor help

Supressor help

I'm interested in buying a supressor for one of my guns but not sure where to start. I know I have to pay $200 transfer tax to BATF and get a couple of fingerprint cards done. But what happens after that? where can I get the required paperwork? Can I download the forms off the net? can I shop around for supressors or do I have to have a specific one already picked out?

Easiest way is to get a lawyer to set up a trust in order to have it own the can, unless you are friends with the local Sheriff & he will sign off for you.
    Can must be purchased & remain in store, money & paperwork sent in to BATF & then you wait for the stamp to come back, then you can pick up
    the can.

This is a very short & to the point answer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

sgb
    The Easiest thing for you to do is to find a local NFA dealer to handle either the sale or transfer and he/she will be able to answer all you questions and help you with your paperwork.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    You can shop around for suppressors and you can do it on the net. The problem is, there just arent a whole lot of class 3 dealers around.
    Where are you Poppy? I see that you are in Arkansas. I can point you to someone close if I know where you are from.

You can download the form 4 off of the net, but you need to know the serial number of the item that you are buying, so you really have to buy one first. When you find what you like, the dealer will help you initiate the paperwork. You'll have to do everthing twice and send two copies, the ATF keeps one and one comes back to you. When you fill out the form, you'll need two 2x2" photos, you'll need to have the CLEO sign it and you'll need to let them take your fingerprints. You also need to fill out a form certifying that you are a U.S. citizen. Once you get all of that, you send a check for 200 to the ATF and wait approx.4-6 months. When you get your form in the mail, you take it to the dealer and show it to him and he gives you your can.

You can go to ATF forms and they will send you what ever you need for free. Usually takes a couple of weeks., or you can go to a dealer that sells them and they should be able to help you.
    poppy37 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

can I download all the forms I need from the ATF website or do I need to buy something like a fingerprint card?

Senior Moderator
    You can get the forms and the fingerprint cards from the ATF website. Get at least two of everything.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info, I really want to get my first one. I know it will probably take 6 months for everything to go through but it will be worth it.

Follow ZX9RCM's advice! See a lawyer and form a trust. A little more cost for your first "can" but much less hassle on all the rest, you can't have just one! With a trust, you can name other people that are legal to handle supressor, and no finger prints. If you die, the trust goes on and your survivors do not have the hassle of selling Class 3 items. Without the trust, you are the only legal owner.

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I have to at least partially second the Living Trust route. Mine took about an hour to get the trust written up and a total of about 2.5 weeks from purchase to tax stamp and suppressor in hand. Granted that was 2 years ago I think. If you're in a state that doesn't require a judge to sign off on the trust to make it official...QUICKEN WILLMAKER is your friend.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

So my best bet would be to set up a Living Trust if I want others to be able to use it when I'm not around? As far as I know I don't need a judge to sign off on it but i do have to have the CLEO sign the applications for ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    So my best bet would be to set up a Living Trust if I want others to be able to use it when I'm not around? As far as I know I don't need a judge to sign off on it but i do have to have the CLEO sign the applications for ATF.
    I don't think there's any local CLEO signoff on the trust. Unless of course that's a locality restriction on all trusts or something... You need to check with other AR members and/or your local AG to make sure you're good on the trust without a lawyer/judge etc... Here in VA it was just make up the trust and populate with the required info, get it notarized etc... and send it off along with the BATFE form to the BATFE... Mine came back with the stamp REALLY quick that route. OTH I have heard some folks have taken a bit longer before.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links