Whichgun.com

This is a discussion on Whichgun.com within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm a member of PAFOA.org and whichgun.com was mentioned in a thread. Apparently it's a new site but I was surprised by the amount of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whichgun.com

Whichgun.com

I'm a member of PAFOA.org and whichgun.com was mentioned in a thread. Apparently it's a new site but I was surprised by the amount of information it has. It's great to compare guns and much easier than going to the manufacturers respective sites.

Just to set things straight, I am in no way associated with the site. The owner and creator goes by the name of jersey_emt on PAFOA. Here's a link to the original discussion on PAFOA.
    Whichgun.com (PAFOA Discussion)

Check it out!
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

2. Remove Ads

I added a few reviews to the site, he has some strange ratings, like rating a 1911 as n/a for concealability factor but a G17 as a 2.96 when clearly they are the same size but the Glock is thicker.... but hopefully as the site matures it gets worked out. I like the setup and the way you can arrange the weapons by different criteria. Maybe LOS can go to work for him and add some of his excellent comparison charts and make some money for his hard work!!

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I added a few reviews to the site, he has some strange ratings, like rating a 1911 as n/a for concealability factor but a G17 as a 2.96 when clearly they are the same size but the Glock is thicker.... but hopefully as the site matures it gets worked out. I like the setup and the way you can arrange the weapons by different criteria. Maybe LOS can go to work for him and add some of his excellent comparison charts and make some money for his hard work!!
    Yea, I don't understand why he doesn't consider a full-size 1911 as "concealable." I've CC'ed a full-size 1911 with nothing more than a t-shirt covering it without any problems. In the grand scheme of things though I consider it a minor problem. Most people looking for a CCW probably won't start their search with a full size 1911
    Sig Sauer P229 9mm
    Sig Sauer P238 .380
    Colt XSE 1911 .45

Thanks very much for posting this.

The reason why some pistols receive an 'n/a' for concealability is because that number requires a firearm's length, width, height, and weight in order to be calculated. If one or more of those data points are not available, that firearm's concealability is not displayed.

I obtained specifications for each firearm in the database from various sources, including the manufacturer's information, published sources like books and magazines, etc. If you have information on any specs not listed please let me know (info@whichgun.com).

If I can do so with reasonable accuracy, I will alter the code to estimate a value if only one required specification (length, width, height, or weight) is missing, but for now all four are needed.

Distinguished Member
    Very interesting site.

I sent an email regarding a correction on one brand's info, but it was a minor issue.

I think it has a lot of potential and room to grow, which is a good thing.

One issue that was brought up by multiple visitors was the need for a better filtering system. Currently, you can only apply 1 filter at a time -- you can display all full-size pistols, all SIG Sauer pistols, or all .45 ACP pistols, but there is no way to show all full-size SIG Sauer .45 ACP pistols.

I've just finished rewriting the filtering and sorting code this evening. It still needs to be properly tested, but I think I've got it, and it should be added to the live site tomorrow. The URL's are going to look like '/firearms/pistols/type:full-size/manufacturer:smith-wesson/caliber:9x19mm', '/firearms/pistols/type:compact/manufacturer:kimber/caliber:45-acp', etc.

I'll post again once this enhancement is live. It will make things much easier to narrow down your search or find a particular gun.
    WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.

Thanks for posting the link, I don't know much about the types of pistols or gun.I came to know much about it from the discussion.

The enhanced filtering/sorting feature is now live. Any filtering option you select will remain until you remove it. If you click on 'Subcompact' pistols, then 'SIG Sauer' pistols, then '.380 ACP' pistols, you will only see all subcompact .380 ACP SIG Sauer pistols. You can remove each filtering option individually using the 'remove filter' links, or can remove all filtering options at once using the 'remove all filters' links at the top of the left column.

If you find any bugs or glitches, or have any other comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Administrator
    Interesting and worthwhile.

A very good suggestion was made to me in order to improve the site -- allow multiple selections per filtering option. If you go to B&H Photo's page for DSLR camera shopping, on the left you can select multiple manufacturers, megapixel counts, LCD screen sizes, and so forth.

On WhichGun.com, a similar system will allow you to, for example, easily find all compact and subcompact pistols manufactured by Ruger or Kel-Tec and chambered for .380 ACP or 9mm. With these filter criteria, you would be presented with the Ruger LC9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SR9c, Kel-Tec P-11, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and Kel-Tec PF-9.

This would obviously be a much more powerful system for discovering which firearms fit your requirements.

I've already started rewriting some of the code and have made some progress towards making this feature available. If all goes well, this enhanced filtering system will be live by the end of this week.

If anyone has any additional comments or suggestions, or if you have found an error or bug, please let me know about it.

What's The Equation..?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyemt View Post
    Thanks very much for posting this.

The reason why some pistols receive an 'n/a' for concealability is because that number requires a firearm's length, width, height, and weight in order to be calculated.
    I have a Semi-Auto that's NOT listed. I'm curious as to concealability per your equation but I have no idea what the actual equation is .. other than length, width (thickness), height and weight.

One suggestion for the web site would be to post the actual equation so that those of us who's firearm isn't listed could do so on our own.. or at least post it here so I can do mine.

Thanks..

FireStar M40

P.S. (Q.) Is the weight calculated w/wo loaded magazine?

Cool site. I am still trying to wrap my head around the XD .45 Service being more concealable than a .40 or 9mm... Since the .45 has a wider grip and all...

Edit: Nevermind, i read the criteria. The .45 has a greater "firepower" rating.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    I have a Semi-Auto that's NOT listed. I'm curious as to concealability per your equation but I have no idea what the actual equation is .. other than length, width (thickness), height and weight.

One suggestion for the web site would be to post the actual equation so that those of us who's firearm isn't listed could do so on our own.. or at least post it here so I can do mine.
    It's not just an equation where you can plug in a firearm's length, width, height, and weight. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how these numbers are calculated took quite a bit of work to get them where they are currently, and I am not willing to disclose this information publicly at this time. I am still making tweaks and changes regularly, so even if I explained the exact process, tomorrow's calculations might be slightly different from today's. At this point, the most information about the calculations that I am willing to give publicly is what is explained at http://www.whichgun.com/concealed_carry_factors.

What I can do of course is add your pistol to the database. For a fairly obscure gun like your Firestar, it might be difficult to track down the specifications needed to calculate its Concealability Factor. If your gun is stock (no aftermarket grips that affect the gun's width or weight, etc.), and you have a way to accurately measure its dimensions (especially calipers to measure its width), it would be very helpful if you could provide me with your gun's length, width, height, and unloaded weight with magazine.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at a handgun's Concealability Factor, Firepower Factor, and CCW Factor is that I am attempting to give that handgun an objective rating for something that in reality is rather subjective. I know that no matter how good I think the results are, there is absolutely no way that I can please everyone. These ratings are just intended to help people narrow down their search for a concealed carry handgun. A higher CCW factor does not mean a handgun is "better" for concealed carry than one with a lower CCW factor -- it's just a starting point for further research into which handguns warrant further research in your search for (your own) "best" concealed carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40

P.S. (Q.) Is the weight calculated w/wo loaded magazine?
    All weights are unloaded with an empty factory magazine. Different types of ammunition with different bullet weights, case wall thickness, powder, etc. can significantly affect a gun's loaded weight, especially in lightweight and compact guns specifically designed for concealed carry. Unloaded weight with empty magazine is also the most commonly published spec.

Jerseyemt, I just want to say that you are working on a cool, informative, and unique site. Once you get that thing ironed out, I could see it becoming a widely-used information site about firearms. Best of luck.

Well, it took a lot more work to update the filtering system than I first thought, but it is done. You can now make multiple selections for each filtering option via checkboxes. I've also added a way to change the number of results per page from the default of 20 per page -- there is a dropdown to select 10, 20, 50, or 100 firearms per page.

Since I had to rip out and rewrite quite a bit of code to get this working, some bugs are probably present. If you notice any problems -- whether you receive an actual error message or something just doesn't work the way you'd expect, please let me know about it.

Sample: All subcompact or pocket pistols, manufactured by Kahr, Kel-Tec, Ruger, or Taurus, chambered for .380 ACP or 9x19mm.

Link to this search

whichgun_enhanced_filtering.jpg
    Last edited by jerseyemt; May 7th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links